Show me your grooming stanchions!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stockresized1.jpg

I had an Amish guy make this, not quite what I wanted, we have to redo the font to make it

easier to get them down. The ramp is portable and can be moved to the front or side, the sides come off so you can take off the lower one if you are working on feet or shaving, or the top one if you need to work on the top of the horse.

I was thinking maybe its a tad to high too although some don't mind walking up the ramp, I know

others will not, like the older ones, the Pallet jack would work with mine I will just have to cut the legs down some. I will work on that this summer.

This cost about 300 to make if anyone is untested let me know maybe two minds making a good one is better than my itty bitty one ha ha.

Stockresized1.jpg

I had an Amish guy make this, not quite what I wanted, we have to redo the font to make it

easier to get them down. The ramp is portable and can be moved to the front or side, the sides come off so you can take off the lower one if you are working on feet or shaving, or the top one if you need to work on the top of the horse.

I was thinking maybe its a tad to high too although some don't mind walking up the ramp, I know

others will not, like the older ones, the Pallet jack would work with mine I will just have to cut the legs down some. I will work on that this summer.

This cost about 300 to make if anyone is untested let me know maybe two minds making a good one is better than my itty bitty one ha ha.
[SIZE=12pt]Hi, Thanks for posting :bgrin Everyones look so good! Hard to decide
default_rolleyes.gif
: Do you know the dimentions of yours? How tall, how wide and how long? I like the looks of your too. Does it disassemble?[/SIZE]

Thanks
default_yes.gif
:

Joy

The stock is 45 long and 30 wide, sits 2 ft off the ground, the tall bar is 30 incehs from the floor, the low one is about 23 inches, I maybe should have made it lower, but we will see how it woks for clipping, I think I will cut a foot off the legs though.

All the top pipes and ramp come off so its easy to move, I also had plates put on the bottom of the legs so it would not sink in the ground. Which if I had cement in the barn I could put those big wheels on it.

I am going to work on the revisions and have him redo it before clipping time.

I forgot to mention the ramp will work for loading in my van or pick up also as it has two hooks at the top end.

The stock is 45 long and 30 wide, sits 2 ft off the ground, the tall bar is 30 incehs from the floor, the low one is about 23 inches, I maybe should have made it lower, but we will see how it woks for clipping, I think I will cut a foot off the legs though.

All the top pipes and ramp come off so its easy to move, I also had plates put on the bottom of the legs so it would not sink in the ground. Which if I had cement in the barn I could put those big wheels on it.

I forgot to mention the ramp will work for loading in my van or pick up also as it has two hooks at the top end.
[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Thanks! I appreciate your time! Why do you want to lower it? How tall are you? I'm 5'10 and just figured that would be a good height ? I have two 31.25 horses, one 26.5 horse and a B size 35.5 horse. I guess I could try it at two foot then shorten it if need be...
default_wacko.png
:

Joy

I like the idea of the taller one, but I also understand the needs of older horses, if the ramp was longer and not so steep they might like it better, looks to me as though the mesh might give a little bit and some horses don't like that either. I am looking at building one. I'm still trying to work out the plans for it. I have an idea of how I want it, thanks to these pictures.

Thanks everyone for your pictures.

Karen

Sorry I took so long, Joy!

I measured my little stock at 21 " wide and 46" long and 41" high from the base to the top bar.

I only have A size minis except one B size who I do not mind trimming on the ground :)

Susan O.

Thanks! I appreciate your time! Why do you want to lower it? How tall are you? I'm 5'10 and just figured that would be a good height ? I have two 31.25 horses, one 26.5 horse and a B size 35.5 horse. I guess I could try it at two foot then shorten it if need be...
Joy
I like the tallness of it, but would like more movement up and down, to get them on first and then crank them up a foot. I am 5'6" and have a bad back and hip, I could always sink it in the ground a foot to see if that height is better for me, then shorten the legs a tad. It is still in the refining stages, hopefully I can get it just the way I want it this summer, seeing everyone else's helps to refine mine, Thanks.

Joy good luck making one let us see yours too when you get it done.

like the idea of the taller one, but I also understand the needs of older horses, if the ramp was longer and not so steep they might like it better, looks to me as though the mesh might give a little bit and some horses don't like that either.
Karen, that mesh is real heavy no movement at all I have had my 27 inch mini on it the ramp grips the feet good but she will go up or on anything so I tried her on it first she will do anything for a peppermint ha ha, the length of the ramp is long enough I guess I should have measured the ramp too, but its way over my head standing up.

Lets keep these coming who knows we just may get the perfect Stock built by all of us with great ideas.

Jan

Thanks Susan and Jan :bgrin I sure appreciate your time and ideas. Everyone has been so helpful. I definetly will take pictures once Bill builds one for me.
default_yes.gif
:

Thats good about the metal not moving, some of its not as stong as others and would definately give.

default_smile.png
This is a good thread, wonder if they'll make it a sticky or something to keep it from getting lost

Karen

I'm planning on making one this summer, mine will probably be wood, as we have plenty around and I can do the work myself, while hubby is busy haying or whatever he needs to get done, when I get around to working on this project. We have an old wood porch/step that we aren't using, so I'm going to dismantle it, reconfigure it and make it into my grooming stand. I didn't know how big to make it, til reading this thread, so thank you for that information. I'm almost 6' tall, so I plan to raise it at least 2' off the ground. I was just discussing this with my farrier today, and he thought nearly 3' sounded good (well, he didn't say 3', just held his hand out and said this high and it was about 3'
default_rolleyes.gif
: ). But, I think 2' tall sounds good.

If and when I get this done, I'll be sure to share pictures.

Since viewing this thread, I gave my husband a "project" this past weekend. We built ours out of wood in the barn aisleway. It is WAY COOL!!! Believe me, 2' is more than high enough. My farrier was here yesterday, and when he saw what we were doing, he was VERY HAPPY. It is not quite done yet, but I will post pics on this thread when it is done. I think it is a good idea to put this thread into the Best Of... forum.

Since viewing this thread, I gave my husband a "project" this past weekend. We built ours out of wood in the barn aisleway. It is WAY COOL!!! Believe me, 2' is more than high enough. My farrier was here yesterday, and when he saw what we were doing, he was VERY HAPPY. It is not quite done yet, but I will post pics on this thread when it is done. I think it is a good idea to put this thread into the Best Of... forum.

[SIZE=12pt]Can't wait to see your pictures!! :aktion033: Here's an "ATTA BOY" for your hubby :aktion033: :aktion033: [/SIZE]

Joy
default_smile.png

How big are your minis? Just curious, as most of mine are B-size and I want to be sure I build the stock big enough for them. Your dimensions sound good, but want to be sure I build big enough... Wouldn't want them falling off or something. I have plans in my head, but need to work out the little details.

Thanks.

How big are your minis? Just curious, as most of mine are B-size and I want to be sure I build the stock big enough for them. Your dimensions sound good, but want to be sure I build big enough... Wouldn't want them falling off or something. I have plans in my head, but need to work out the little details.
Chandab,

My tallest is 34 and my smallest is 27 inches. I made it wide enough for my fatties I hope, although my preggo ones get rather wide, I will not ask them to go up the ramp until they have there foal. Lke I said I need to take it back to the guy and have him do a few more things to it, but with this thread it has helped me refine it even more. Keep the pictures coming and all your new ideas.

Click mini and Chandab I will be looking forward to your stocks, and anyone else who wants to contribute. This is a Great thread.

Latest posts

Back