Show Lease

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight star stables

Reaction score
If someone wanted a "show lease" what would this deal include? What would a contract cover? Where would costs lie? Who pays coggins, health certs, vet, farrier, ect.

What are your thoughts, ideas, experiences with this?

Thanks!

Usually a show lease is for one year. Sometimes there is an upfront payment and sometimes not. All expenses (vet, farrier, feed) are paid for by the person showing the horse. If there is no upfront payment then the coggins and health papers, are usually paid for by the person showing.

Its a good idea for either the lessor or leasee to buy mortality insurance on the horse while its out showing.

Really all contracts are different and can be written any way a person wants. But this is how most of them I have seen are done.

Best to spell out every little detail so there are no misunderstandings.

Kay

OK, these are just my THOUGHTS, because I have no experience with this, but plenty of experience with contracts, which is what you will want to create. (I am not an attorney either, this is just my 2 cents...)

1. Figure out what each of you wants to get from the deal and if money is one of the things (maybe it isn't). Hash this out at length. Every deal is likely to be different depending on what each person wants.

2. Talk over who would make decisions, how expenses would be shared (expected and unexpected - see below), how winnings would be split, and who decides what shows and classes, etc. How long will the agreement last? Where will the horse be kept?

3. Consider EVERYTHING that can go wrong - people and/or horses dying, getting sick (or laid off), being unable to show, etc. and figure out how each of these would be handled. Insurance???

4. Put everything in writing and run it by an attorney before you both sign it and initial every page (and any changes). If you don't want to spend money on an attorney to do this, think long and hard about what each of you has to lose in this deal.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Hi Desiree

There is a really good site called Equine Legal Solutions that has a tonne of information. The lease section can be found at http://www.equineleg...whattoknow.html

Hope this helps!

default_smile.png

Cathy

I was recently approached about loaning my mare to be bred with this persons stallion as I wont be breeding her this year. Has anyone ever done this? What is the procedure and do they pay a fee? I havent heard of this being done before so all advise gratefully recieved.
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I was recently approached about loaning my mare to be bred with this persons stallion as I wont be breeding her this year. Has anyone ever done this? What is the procedure and do they pay a fee? I havent heard of this being done before so all advise gratefully recieved.
yes.gif
In this case my first question is do you like the stallion? Would you pay to breed to him? Remember, your mare's name will be on the resulting foals papers.

If the stallion has certain faults wuld your mare conceivably correct them or add to them? For example if your mare has a short neck, and the stallion has a short neck, you probably would not want to breed together. However, if your mare's neck is a mile long, might be a good match.

Then decide if this is a paying venture. Is the person willing to pay you for the use of the mare or are they offering the mare bred back to the stallion for the following year? This is quite common, again if it's a nice match.

Who would keep the mare and pay for her feed etc? If you are keeping the mare after breeding, who'se paying for the feed and care?

If there's a problem at foaling, who would pay for the vet, etc. Or in worst case scenario, what is the value of the mare if you lose her?

At miniumum all these things need to be hammered out before agreeing. It's not just a matter of "Hey let me borrow your mare for a little while", live animals are in the deal and every possible outcome should be reviewed and settled and in writing prior to any breeding.

Latest posts

Back