show help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cara

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Ok I want to make the mare im leaseing look (show fit) she had eight babys! i know thats alot!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

i don't own her so I can't do any feeding plans! shes on a good one as it it! (thanks sandy) but Im tired of other people bragging on and on about how nice there horse! like good for them! Im not afraid of a little hard work ether!
default_yes.gif
: I am a youth so its natureal to have some feeling hurt right im only a teenager! It would be nice to have people go wow or even a smile or somthing! so what do you say will anyone help me out??

If she is harness trained, bringing her slowly into driving condition is fun, and benificial to her. It is amazing what a few miles, regularly worked, will do.

If she isn't, then start her slowly on the lunge-line. After she can trot for a good while, without getting tired, you can start her over ground poles. After working a week or so, lunging over them, you can bring them up off the ground a bit, nice and slowly, until she can easily manage lunging over them as cavelletti, about four inches off the ground. Remember to let her lower her head when walking or trotting over poles; or she will trip. This excercise helps a horse tuck-up it's belly, while at the same time, it is developing it's top-line.

Don't worry what others think...it is you who are lucky enough to have this mare to work with and love...whether she is "yours" or not...you have her to enjoy. That is what matters. You will find, that just having a new "job" to do will have her happy, fit, and shiny, by show season, if that is your plan for her. it can be done.

I took one of my mares, "Buffie", out of the pasture one spring, and decided that as she was having a year off, after foaling several in a row, I would harness train her. She was ten, and I had no problem at all. I took her to a couple of clinics, and a show or two, and I was aproached by many, who thought she was one of my "babies". They were amazed at the shape she was in, and how young she looked. The program I just wrote down...was the one I used with her, in combination.

Take heart...and Good Luck!!!!!!!!!! if you are allowed, by her owner, go ahead and post some pictures of you/her progress.

Well, i would say start off by conditioning her. I don't know how fit she is or how good of shape she's in so i'll speak generally. Take her on long walks and take her jogging with you. I would say trot her more than canter, because that is the most work for a horse. Take her up and down hills to build her chest and hindquarters (walking down hill of course) and back her up often to help the hindquarters. In the summer you can even take her swimming, but nothing too deep of course and it should be safe (maybe a special center for horse swimming). If thats not possible you can walk her through chest high water also to build muscle (maybe you don't have anything like that but we have three ponds by us that are perfect for that). Turn her out when you can so she can get plenty of exercise and get a good run. Once she is in decent shape you can have her pull a cart- even if she doesn't know how to drive you can lead her with a halter and just have her pull it)- I did that with my boy and went up hills like that and he has a much nicer chest now. Backing up is really good for building the hindquarters but you shouldn't do way too much of it at once as it is difficult for them. Thats about all i can think of....

Oh yes, and don't forget you should start off slow and increase the time/difficulty over time. Maybe to start just go on short walks or do a little bit of lounging. Then build up from there once her stamina has increased and she can do a light workout without breathing too heavy.

Remember I'm no expert, in fact i'm a teenager myself, but this is what i've done to condition my 2 boys (arab and mini) and they both look pretty good. They've really benefitted from the walks and all... Anyhow, good luck with her!
default_yes.gif
:

Is this about her show career or your ego?

She's had 8 babies. Cut her some slack. That's a LOT of stress on the ol' figure. (My wife has only given birth to one baby and I'll never have back the body I did beforehand.) A little excercise is good for most any horse, just keep it realistic. Are you planning to actually show her?

Smile at her yourself and tell her she's a pretty girl. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks as long as you like her.

How old is she??

How big is she??

What has she done in her life previously, apart from having 8 babies??

well from your website this mare is 19 years old?? (pretty mare too i might add) I cant see starting a show career at 19. showing can be very stressful on horses and im just not sure 19 is the age to start.

Hi :saludando:

In Cara's defense, yes this mare is old, but she was shown last year and the year before-maybe more! I have shown Midnight and I would/will do it again at the age of 28(I think). This team is one of the BEST I have ever seen in Showmanship! This mare jumps beautifully and is a awesome colour. I think with a little conditioning she would place better in halter... That said, know her limitations. China is not a leggy arab or ASPC and it is hard to compete against them, it's the way the breed is going. Try to be pleased with her performance side and not her halter. She a nice mare Cara!
default_yes.gif
:

I do have a feeling this is more about your ego then the horse herself. I have seen China and she is a wonderful looking horse although not the cookie cutter cut out of the miniature horse she is VERY nice. Personaly if your thinking like this, worried about what people say about your horse at shows, you should not be showing at all. Take the winter to get it together in your head, like you siad your a teenager and sometimes things can be confusing ( i know because I'm still 18 lol). In the spring if you really want to show and YOU think your horse looks good and YOU don't care about what people say about her then start working her to get her show fit. Don't go into the show ring with this additude please.

-Vanessa

No, I am sorry I would not be asking a mare this age to jump.

Yes, I still take Rabbit to ONE show a year.

No, he would NO way be doing performance at this age, let alone being subjected to "conditioning" etc after having had 8 foals.

I think you need to find yourself an animal that is younger- maybe at the start of her show life.

I am not one to think "What can my animals do for me??"

I preferr to think "What can I do for my animals"??

(sorry about the paraphrase but it just fits so well)

She deserves to be out in a field somewhere getting fat and chilling out, if her breeding life is over.

I was doubtful about bringing into showing a ten year old, and in the end I decided against it.

Horses will sometimes go on doing something merely because they have big hearts and like to please, not because they truly enjoy it- they will also do things that are not necessarily good for them for the same reasons- they are totally at our mercy to decide what is best.

I think we may all have said all this before???????????

Hey Cara

I just visited your website, I think China is beautiful just the way she is.
default_yes.gif
:

I have to Disagree with anyone who says she cant be jumped... I dont know your reasoning but seriously 19 is not old. So many large horses are still competing into their 20s with the added stress of a rider on their backs.

Cara if China is enjoying showing, leave her to enjoy it the way she was, dont put extra stress on her with heaps of work and dieting. Enjoy her as the seasoned producer that she is. She has done a wonderful job having all those babies. And I think her figure is lovely.

JMHO,

Helen

I am just clearing this up! i love her to death i wouldn't put a lot of strees on her! she loves jumping! and she is a very happy horse! i am very disapointed that ppls would this is about my ego! i am not the kind a person that has a big ego with horses! she has come long way! all I wanted to know is how to get her a little bit more fit! ok I really don't want to hear about how bad i am or stuff like that! i asked a Question! " if you don't have anything nice to say PLZ don't say anything at all!" i don't care much for it! & i say thank you to

Sue_C., ^T-bird89^ ,miniaddiction, kaykay ,midnight star stables ! they all helped me out ! thank you very much!

ps she gets to have lots of fun a treats in the winter!

-Cara

ps. china also took 2nd at the royal winter fair! (jumping and obstacles) how many of you can say that!!!!

06-Royal8.jpg

sandy,toy sam ,alfalfa me and china , devon and wee , hayley and tonto,

kaeli and cassy, janice and chief , katie and tippy,buckey!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cara. You have to remember when you post on here you have think of all the possible responses you may get. Its not a youth only forum and there will be opinions you wont like so you can't get really Snappy at everyone. China is a beautiful Mare who of course you love . But you didnt ask How can i get her fit. You asked that ; plus how you want people to give you compliments and notice her thats where the other discussions started. There seems to always be problems with the youth getting upset at the adults posts thats why we have the Youth Forum. And she did a awesome job at the royal no one said a old horse can't win at performance either cara
default_sad.png
Dont worry you do place and you got 1sts in Jumping at Aurora! We dont need to win halter If we do its a Bonus :lol: . Look how many years it took for me to get wee man placing Well in halter ;3 and it was hard I never placed he would drag me; flip me over his back every stunt a young horse can pull he did . I was upset I never placed even as well as your placing I got dead last in halter nothing in showmanship nothing in Jumping or anything for that matter. But This year I finally got him ready and I know WAY more mostly from this forum and the clinics we have at the farm and I suppose my age to? China is wonderful and she has never given you those prooblems Wee Man dod so thats a good thing :bgrin The more you do it the better you and her will become I learned that in my 5 years with minis thats for sure. We've got tons of time before show season plus we're about Fun but I know its hard not to get competetive . :bgrin We all Love you att he Farm Cara and we Love china so don't be upset ok
default_yes.gif
:

Dont worry too much We Love china and you do a awesome job with her! .
default_wub.png
:

See you at the Farm.

Love Devon
default_smile.png
default_wub.png
:

Hey Cara.

I know how you feel trying to get an old horse fit. I've been working on that with Britton, its takes quite a bit of time and patience. Take it slowly and build her up. Lunging is a good work out and you have a round pen to help you out with that too. I know you are proud of China, she has been getting better each and every year you show her, as all of us are. She places in the show ring and what more can you ask for. If I may say so myself she is in pretty good shape for a horse her age. Well I will see you soon and talk to you on the phone.

Have Fun

*`Nicole

I prefer an older horse as a performance horse. A lot of your bigger horses don't peak until their teens. Believe me I know this for a fact because I shoe a lot of them! The paint gelding we just gave to a wonderful home is 26 and is used for lessons on a daily basis and driven on the weekend. This horse is in fantastic shape. Our shetland gelding is eight years old and untrained. We just started training him to ride. I would just start conditioning slowly and work up from there. The hardest thing to learn is to be patient. Conditioning happens it just takes time. I will be showing a mare in halter this year that has had three foals. I also have a mare that I was told was NOT a halter horse and guess what she also will be showing in halter this year and I KNOW she will do well. Don't get frustrated, focus on your goals, and then go out there and knock em dead kid. Best of luck. Linda

Cara,

For what it is worth, I think China is a lovely mare -- and well deserves to have a few extra curves after giving birth to 8 babies (personally, I think that she looks just fine just like she is - but then I like my mares a bit plump). If she likes to jump and you also enjoy it I would work on PERFECTING that goal - spruce her up, get her fit with lunging and long walks - do a nice clip job - pour on the ShowSheen, add the hoof polish, a pretty halter and go and have fun. For more fun, if you were to spruce her up like she was going to a show and took her into some local parades and maybe off to some schools and/or nursing homes I am quite sure that she and you would be overwhelmed with comments about how pretty she is - and she would get so much attention that she would just glow.

Love your mare, have fun with her and don't worry about anyone else's opinion. :aktion033:

Stacy

It would be good if you could not try and turn the horse into something she is not, or is not any longer.

When people "brag" about what thier show horses do, it's not because they are trying to rub anyone's nose into something but because they are proud and want to share.

If it helps with perspective, when I was a youth, I would have done all but die to have a horse, or access to a horse, or even a friend with a horse!!!

Horses are amazing creatures. They actually do not think about age. My standardbreds are all 17 and can run circles around youngers horses. They like to work.

I have to agree with Crossbuck Farms. I have an older quarter/arab gelding that will run circles around my yearling arab filly and my 2 y.o appendix gelding. My 17 y.o. mini stud will run my colts ragged also. I get more ambition out of the older horses than I do the younger ones. The older ones seem to have more of a work ethic... now I know that this isn't true with all horses. I am just saying what I have noticed with my horses is that the older ones are more constant with their ambition to work and please.

I prefer an older horse as a performance horse. A lot of your bigger horses don't peak until their teens.

I totally agree. I cant begin to tell you how many Saddlebreds I've seen still showing well into their 20's... one I know of the woman showed one for years and years and now her 9 year old is taking it to shows again at 25. It great to see the old guy still perking up and turning on the flash when he goes into the ring- just now with a much smaller rider :bgrin

Latest posts

Back