Show Harness?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LC Farm

Reaction score
Here come more questions. We have a decent harness that would be ok to show in but I would like a nicer one. Where do you buy them at?

The nicest harnesses I have seen have been from the venders at our may show here in Reno. Not much help. But that is the only ones I have seen.

My recommendation is the same as Sheryl's! My Lutke / D&S Harness is my favorite piece of tack!!! It's so beautiful, well made and will last a long time
default_yes.gif
This is the harness Destiny wore at 2008 Nationals and wore it to a National Grand Champion win
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a training harness from Ozark, its not fancy, but the Lukte harness is the more high class harness that allot choose to invest in, they make some very beautiful harnesses and i believe they will personalize the harness to fit what you have in mind too.

I defiantly love the Lutke Harnesses!! They will last a long time very easy to clean and look very sharp in the show ring! Best thing is if something does break Dale can repair it at an extremely cheap price a few bucks here or there. And the best thing about them is their value never goes down you can resell them for about what you paid for them!
default_yes.gif

Good Luck! See you at the shows I'm sure!

~Jessica

Ok I think I am going to go with this harness. But there are more decisions to make that I am not sure about.

Over check or Side check?

square or hatchet type blinds ?

brass or colored browband?

Should I get any of the extra options?

Options:

Rolled traces, over check, martingale and over strap

Both side and over check

Fine harness bridle

Colored trim: either embroidery or metallic leather

I myself don't care as much for the Lutke, although I know many do. My very, very favorite harness is a beautiful patent and leather harness from Estate Horse Supply. I feel they are so well built, fit so well, and have the nice leather that glows with luster. I use the Deluxe, but there are other upgraded options out there as well. I feel this is also the very best harness for the money, the quality is very high.

http://www.kee-port.com/harness.htm

I have one of the Estate harnesses (although it is a bit older I think, so I can't comment on the newer ones) and the rest of mine are Lutkes. I really, really love the Lutkes - they are timeless and last forever. They are also great quality and I use each of mine as both training and show harnesses and they all still look good as new. My oldest one is well over 10 years old and it's still in super shape.

In terms of options, it just really depends on how much you want to spend. I would recommend getting both a side and overcheck as this will be the most versatile for you. Get square blinders. Rolled traces, etc. are a beautiful touch, but if you're on a budget they add to the overall cost and if you don't get them probably no one will really even notice. Get the fine harness bridle - it's a lot nicer. And for the browband and caveson it just depends what you like. The embroidered ones are really nice, but so are the metallic colored ones - it's a personal preference. The best thing to do is call Dale and have a chat with him and he can help you out as to what you should order.

Here come more questions. We have a decent harness that would be ok to show in but I would like a nicer one. Where do you buy them at?
Ozark Mountain Tack has a beautiful leather Moses Miller harness that I really like. I just bought one for my Shetland pony. It comes with both checks (dual checks), and all the bells and whistles. It has everything you need for the show arena. Super easy to clean, and a nice, solid harness that will last you for years and years. The nice part is it starts at only $690. It is on the web at http://www.minitack.com/mw315.htm. Check it out. Will save you a lot of money, and years of use. Looks super nice in the show arena as well. I have won a National Championship with this harness! You can't go wrong with it.

I just ordered 3 new harness's from Herron Stables I have seen thier stock it is amazing, I have bought alot of thier working equipment, excellent quality! They strive to provide you excellent quality and want to make sure you are happy with the purchase, very easy to get along with. My good freind Jim Curry also sells harness, I have 2 of his as well, love them also. I only use leather harness's, I like the patent for looks but not for comfort, so I prefer the leather over the patent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two Mini Express harnesses and I LOVE them! They are half the cost of a Lutke. Jane has two Lutke harnesses and I like my ME ones better.

Lucy

I just got my new show harness. It's beautiful, quality leather, and all the options I wanted, and far more affordable for the quality than anything else I looked at while I was at Worlds this year. They also have an all leather Lutke equivalent (just as fine and elegant, lots of patent) for approximately half the price. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll give you the email address!

I'm going to be one of the few who dislike Lutke harnesses. Yes they are all shiny and bright for a while, but don't "mold" to a horse's body like a good leather. I had a Lutke, and the plastic checked all over. Looked awful. About every 1/4" was a crack mark. They also are indestructible. Virtually impossible to break. So if a horse gets hung up, the harness won't break, where a leather one will, before a leg does. No Lutkes in this show barn. Plus the prices are ridiculous.

One a side note, I sent a show halter with a gold noseband to D & S to have the noseband repaired. (It was purchased from them) After a YEAR AND A HALF I finally got a chintzy vinyl halter with an embroidered noseband.

I like the Star Lakes or Double Diamond show harnesses. All good leather and very classy.

I also have two of the Mini Express show harness. The latest one that I just bought is gorgeous, it is the rolled leather version, I think it was $695 or so. Anyway, it is a show harness that I am proud to show my horse in, absolutely beautiful.

Ok I think I am going to go with this harness. But there are more decisions to make that I am not sure about.
Over check or Side check? Side Check

square or hatchet type blinds ?

brass or colored browband? Brass - will match your cart and outfit more, and future horses

Should I get any of the extra options?

Options:

Rolled traces, over check, martingale and over strap Preference. I did, as it looks better, IMO.

Both side and over check You can.
default_smile.png
I use my Over check sometimes in roadster.

Fine harness bridle Preference, but I would if it was offered.

Colored trim: either embroidery or metallic leather Again, preference.

Do you want Leather or Biothane?

If you was biothane, go to D&S harnesses ;) (My next harness will be from there)

If you want leather, I highly recommend the Fancy Rolled Leather Show Harness from Ozark. I got mine last year and love it - So pretty!

Good Luck
default_saludando.gif

I'm another that dislikes the Lutke harness and would never put out the money to buy one of them. I haven't been impressed with them in photos, and last fall I got to check one out in person & liked it even less.

I much prefer the Mose Miller harness linked to in an earlier post here--quality leather with the colored piping.

I have never liked non-leather harness. However, poor quality leather harness is not any better! Get a good-quality leather harness... you won't regret it! It gets better with age... the leather gets more supple and more comfortable for the horse. And I HATE buckling in biothane straps! Ugh.

If you look for a rolled leather show harness somewhere you most likely won't be disappointed. There have been some excellent suggestions that i have seen in person listed here so far.

Andrea

We have a couple of Lutke harnesses and they are ok, but I prefer Hunt Harnesses for showing. We have purchased many - new and used - Hunt harnesses over the years and we love them. I am currently using some that are 15+ years, and other than a few minor repairs, which is to be expected, they look brand new! Quality is the biggest thing for me. I would rather have an expensive harness last me over 20 years, than a harness for half the price that will only last me a few years before cracking or breaking.

We also just purchased a Walsh harness, but have not received it yet.

I got a Lutke harness last spring and LOVE it. It is well worth every penny and we've gotten compliments on it at every show. Before the Lutke, our show harnesses were from Ozark and they are nice as well. However, the Lutke is very refined and just a nice harness. The Ozark harnesses stand up well to use and last forever(my oldest one is 8 years old and still cleans up looking new). Only had the Lutke a year now and only have used it maybe 10 times at the shows, so cant say how they hold up over the years.

We used Hunt and Lasalle harnesses on the Saddlebreds and they are awesome. I am sure both companies make them(or can make them if asked) in Mini size. My training bridle, dumbjockey/biting rig, etc all came from Lasalle and you really cant beat their quality of leather.

~Jen~

Latest posts

Back