Show Cart or Easy Entry for Youth??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Reaction score
So I'm looking to buy a cart and around my area there are mostly Easy Entry Carts. I know those are the carts with a back and can hold more than 1 person, and at my fair if you are under 13 you have to have someone else with you in the cart. But I will mostly be showing PTHA. I think in PTHA if youre under 12 you need someone with you. So, I guess my questions are, do most Youth show in EE carts or Show Carts? Are there two person show carts?

It may be different in your area than elsewhere. I have seen both with no apparent knock down in placings because the youth used and easy entry. If you are in doubt you can either go to a few shows and see what everyone else is doing or buy the more expensive show cart which will always be accepted. I have never shown in youth classes but I think you would do fine in the easy entry and you wouldn't necessarily want to spend on the show cart unless you expected to go beyond local/regional shows.

At any of the big shows like worlds or nationals (or as you say Pinto Worlds) I would think that you would want the show cart to 'fit ' but having never been to nor watched Pinto Worlds I am only guessing. Watching the live cams is an excellent way to see what is the norm.

I personally would get a show cart. They look much nicer and it is better to buy it now then having to upgrade later.

To you all who show at AMHA/AMHR shows, what carts do the Youth use? Do 10-11 year olds have to have someone with them in the cart?

My daughter is 9 and just showed her mini mare for the first time driving in April. None of the youth at that show had anyone in the cart with them. It was an option if you wanted to but not required. A header was required in the Youth classes. Everybody(youth, open, and amateur) had headers at that show. Since there are several of us showing she shares a regular show cart with rest of us. I wouldn't take an Easy Entry cart to a top level show. Once you move past the local level you need to put your absolute best performance on each and every time including your turnout.

Yes, you see the show carts. As far as I am concerned, I would rather see someone with a Youth their first time or so out, especially if they are under 13 or 14 years old. It depends too on the number of entries in the class. That's a lot of trying to manuveur horse and cart (width, etc.) around other cart's wheels, rails, etc. Try to find a smaller show with smaller entries for the first times out. Most people with show carts have to have the child sit between their legs on the show carts-tight fit though.

Latest posts

Back