Show Award Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erickson Miniature Horses

Reaction score
I've never showed miniature horses before, but have been to a couple shows and I was wondering what the difference was between Grand Champion, Supreme Champion, Reserved Champion, Champion of Champions, ect.? What color and kinds of awards go with each tittle (neck ribbons, rosettes, trophies)?

In AMHR...you show in the horse's age class. 1st and 2nd place horses in each class show back in the junior and senior championship classes. Junior is 2 and under, senior is 3 and over. 1st and 2nd (champion and reserve champion) show back in the Grand Champion class, and then the top two horses are named Grand and Reserve Grand Champion. At this point all classes have been divided by gender, so you have a Grand champion mare, grand champion stallion and grand champion gelding. Some shows offer supreme champion (or champion of champions)--the title varies. In that case, the three grand champion horses compete for the supreme title.

AMHR, if course, has one set of classes for Unders and another set for Overs--the two sizes do not compete against each other.

The ribbon colors can vary, although blue is universally used for first place
default_smile.png
It depends on what the club, who is in charge of the show, purchases and their budget can impact those choices (ribbons are expensive!).

Our club uses a blue/gold/red combination rosette for the Grand Champion ribbon and red/yellow/white rosette for Reserve Grand champion, which as stated above, is given for the top mare/gelding/stallion. Then those Grand Champions are judged together (mare/stallion/gelding) with the winner receiving the Supreme (purple/white) neck sash. We had a tough show season this year, but my silver bay managed to grab the eye of one of the two judges and took Supreme at the last show (July 13). She won Supreme twice last year.

Having never competed in anything like this (or anything at all for that matter), these ribbons give me the biggest thrill. LOL!

Of course if you show in Canada then 1st place is red and 2nd place is blue. We have white for third, yellow for fourth, green for 5th and pink for 6th.

For Championship ribbons colors vary--depends in who orders them. This year one show here had maroon/peach for grand and pink/grey for Reserve grand. One show had rosettes, the other had neck ribbons. Some shows give trophies, some give prizes ( halters halter bags, brushes, etc)

Supreme Champion and Champion of Champions is the same thing....

All the Grand Champs compete at the end of the show to be that one top horse.

Latest posts

Back