Should I Be Worried? Pregnant Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamk

Reaction score
Hi!

I recently purchased a mare from an auction that is HEAVY in foal...dropped, has sticky, thick amber colored fluid from a pretty big bag...my question is that since yesterday, she has not moved around much at all. She just stands in the corner with her head down "resting"...her appetite is off some...she will eat a little, drink a little, pee and poop then goes back to her "corner" for HOURS of resting....the baby is moving in her belly...should I be concerned????? All my pregnant mares in the past ate WELL up until their due date, even eating while foaling! And they were much more active than this mare. This mare just "picks" at her food and water and then does not move for HOURS.

By the way, she is NOT running a temp and she has had several foals in the past.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice! Pam

I no expert, by any means. But I would have to wonder if she just needs time to get used to her new home?

Some mares seem to want to be left alone when they get close to foaling. And going off thier feed is reasonable, i have one mare who baerly eats anythng the last day before she foals. And others who like you said eat as they are foaling.

I would have her check by a vet if you are real worried.

Truthfully coming from the auction (and I have bought many, many horses from the auction) where so much disease is floating around, I would call the vet and have him look - keep taking her temp because she could just be at the very beginning of something - I don't want to alarm you but it is safest for her and her unborn foal to be checked out. Be sure to keep her far away from your other horses for 2 - 3 weeks after she acts normal Good luck - will keep you both in my thoughts

I would likely treat her for ulcers since you have just purchased her, she's in a new environment and may well be stressed. Having said that, some of my late term mares pick at their feed and don't move around much. I would make sure she is eating something and that she has the opportunity to be outside and move around. It sounds to me like she is very close to foaling.

Hi all...thanks for the advice...it is looking like hyperlemia...we are off to work (I work at an emergency vet clinic and the doctors there will be treating her under the supervision of a very, very good equine vet)..so please send prayers! Updates to follow...Pam

I would likely treat her for ulcers since you have just purchased her, she's in a new environment and may well be stressed. Having said that, some of my late term mares pick at their feed and don't move around much. I would make sure she is eating something and that she has the opportunity to be outside and move around. It sounds to me like she is very close to foaling.
[SIZE=18pt]Becky, I agree with you too! Try giving her a little alfalfa hay and she if she interested in eating! If not, you may want to have your vet take a look at her![/SIZE]

Bill

I was very concerned that it might be hyperlipemia. Glad you have vets working on it! Please keep us posted!!

Latest posts

Back