Shots For Bred Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehorsegirl

Reaction score
I have bred mares before but I have always had the horse for at least a year before breeding them. In January I bought a six year old mare that is in foal for an August baby. The previous owner only gives a five-way the month before the mare foals, so this horse hasn't had any shots for about a year. What schedule would you put her on? Thanks in advance

~Sarah

Hi Sarah,

It's actually a very common practice to give broodmares their annual booster approximate one month prior to their due date. The theory is that it also boosts immunities in her colostrum for her foal.

If you're comfortable waiting, I'd do that.

BTW, we worm our mares along with the rest of the herd, plus worm each broodmare again immediately after foaling with ivermectin.

Hopefully your mare came with some vaccination history. If so, go ahead and give the injection if she is due now and then again a month before she is "due" to foal.

We usually give these injections at day 300 on our minis, as most foal in the 320-330 range.

Latest posts

Back