Shopping for a trailer--need opinions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamarack

Reaction score
I have just started to shop for something to safely haul my two minis in. Not long distances but trips to the vet and trips with my cart to our county fair. I have priced the regular mini trailers, but the freight cost to get one to Oregon is more than the cost of the trailer. Someone has recommended a cargo trailer with windows and we just went to look but they seem so flimsy inside. I have to inquire about having one built with 3/4 inch plywood walls. I only want a 5x8 footer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

Tamarack

If you go the cargo trailer route, get the double axel, its worth the ride to your horses. My suggestion would be an older smaller pony size 2 horse, they are out there and they aren't all that expensive. This is what I have they are like 6' tall and about 10' long.

Karen

I have just started to shop for something to safely haul my two minis in. Not long distances but trips to the vet and trips with my cart to our county fair. I have priced the regular mini trailers, but the freight cost to get one to Oregon is more than the cost of the trailer. Someone has recommended a cargo trailer with windows and we just went to look but they seem so flimsy inside. I have to inquire about having one built with 3/4 inch plywood walls. I only want a 5x8 footer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

Tamarack
I have a neighbor here in Central California that has an older mini horse trailer for sale. They went out of minis several years ago when the kids grew up. His ad says:

16' long x 5.5' high trailer holds up to 9 minis. Electric breaks, dual axles, new tires, tack storage space, holds 2 carts on roof rack. needs paint.

I am guessing it it a Hart but don't quote me on it.

I haven't seen it up close but I would guess a good polish job would help and maybe not need paint right a way.

I would recommend a mini stock trailer--whether an actual Mini horse trailer, or just the ordinary small stock trailer. We just sold our 2 horse trailer & bought a stock trailer; ours is 14' long, 6'4" high and 5' wide, and the sides have small openings low enough (plexiglass covered) that if the Minis put their heads up & try to look out, they can see out--they aren't just in a big box that they cannot see out of at all. You can get stock trailers as short as 10' or 12'. We like the stock trailer so much better than the 2 horse trailer--we can haul more horses if we want, but when we haul just 2 each can have his own box stall.

If you go with a cargo trailer do choose one with tandem axles--it gives a much nicer ride for the horses, plus is much more stable. A blown tire is much less disasterous with tandem axle than single axle.

I would also suggest a stock trailer. I am in the process of locating a good used one. I only have a 3H LQ right now. That makes it hard to got o vet and play days. Try a search on Horse Trailer World.com. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back