Need advice - purchasing a trailer for 1 big & 1 mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupcake

Reaction score
So I'm looking for a trailer that would allow me to haul both horses together safely, not on the regular basis, but for vet trips, emergencies. It would probably be used to 90% for trips to haul material (home depot etc).

My gelding is 16.2, so he needs at least 7' in height. I don't pasture them together so I also don't want to trailer them in a small space together for safety reasons.

My idea was to get a combo stock trailer with a large tack room in the front with full sized door (and maybe have someone reduce the height of the divider wall) and load my mini in the tack area and the gelding in the back. I've been told that it's possible and that others do this, I've also been told its not recommended. However, I've also hauled her in the back of our SUV (when she was smaller) and I'm sure a lot of others do the same and it's not recommended either.

I've narrowed it down to the following 3 models:

2013 Delta 500 ES

2013 CM Dakota

2013 Calico

The calico has the highest price but also comes with breaks on both axles, window in tack room door, better tires, rubber mats in tack room and back (all these are all extras on the other ones) and escape door.

Does anyone own one of these and could give me some input if what I intend would work? A dealer can't really give me an opinion on loading a mini and I can't "try it out" before I buy.

I need to make a decision as soon as possible, any input is appreciated!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a stock trailer. They have a door that goes sideways across, dividing the front half from the back half.

We bought a used 2 horse trailer with a door on both sides of the front area.It had a divider and chest bars in front.We took cattle panels and cut them with bolt cutters and attached to chest bar and dividers(think he used something from TSC -either hog or rabbit pen things) so nothing could get into front area or to other side of stall.We have 2 stalls which can be used for any size horse.Not expensive and not much work.

I would never haul a live creature in the tack room, its like a oven on wheels (no/little air flow). However I love the idea of extending the dividers to 6" to a foot of the floor. Load big horse first for proper weight over axles, and mini in the rear. I have a tall 2 horse slant with a tack room in the front, I bought the trailer when I had a tall horse. 1 - 14 1/2 hand mare and 5 adult minis and a mini colt, everybody except the baby has been hauled in this trailer at one time or the other.

I would never haul a live creature in the tack room, its like a oven on wheels (no/little air flow). However I love the idea of extending the dividers to 6" to a foot of the floor. Load big horse first for proper weight over axles, and mini in the rear. I have a tall 2 horse slant with a tack room in the front, I bought the trailer when I had a tall horse. 1 - 14 1/2 hand mare and 5 adult minis and a mini colt, everybody except the baby has been hauled in this trailer at one time or the other.
I plan on using someone cut a "window", maybe add bars in the divide wall of the tack room for air plus so they can see each other. I wouldn't put her in there with no airflow.

I've decided on the calico, it also has a window in the tack room door. I'll be getting it in 2 weeks and will post pics with her in it once I got it.

Latest posts

Back