Shipping a puppy to Canada

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovememinis

Reaction score
Does anyone know what is required to ship a puppy to Canada by car?

I have a puppy that is going to Canada to live and will be going by car via a friend.

Health Certificate, vaccines, etc. Can you please inform me?

Jan

Yes, I travel back and forth across the border showing dogs all the time.

The only real thing that they look for coming into Canada is proof of Rabies Vaccination.

However, if the dog is UNDER 3 MONTHS OF AGE, it is not old enough to receive a Rabies Vaccination, and therefore you need a health certificate.

If the dog is 3 months of Age or OLDER it needs proof of Rabies Vaccination.

Whoever is transporting the puppy will need an invoice on how much the dog is worth as they will have to pay GST (Tax) on the dog when coming through customs.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions, just ask

~kathryn

Oh, one more thing, if you send puppy food, send it in the original bag or they will throw it out.

Oh, one more thing, if you send puppy food, send it in the original bag or they will throw it out.
They may throw it out anyway, because dog food (for the most part) is not allowed to be brought in. If it has meat "by-products" it is not allowed. If it is in the original bag with the ingredients listed, and if no by-products are used, they will allow it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your help. This clears up many questions.

Would it be better to send the AKC paperwork by Fedex, or would it be better to send it with the dog?

The puppy will be less than 3 months.

Jan

Thank you all for your help. This clears up many questions.
Would it be better to send the AKC paperwork by Fedex, or would it be better to send it with the dog?

The puppy will be less than 3 months.

Jan
I would ask the owner which way they preferred, but if you are sending the pup with a friend, I would send the paperwork along as well. Put it in an envelope and tape it to the top of the crate.. (on the outside)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back