Share Your Barn Photos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barn 015.JPGBarn 014.JPGBarn 013.JPGBarn 011.JPGI LOVE Love looking at barns! My barn, on 37 acres in Colorado, is everything that I ever wanted. I have one 10x10 stall for my mini and one 10x10 stall for my goat and about 20 bales of hay. I have a 5x10 tack/feed room. The top exterior of the barn is board and batton and the bottom exterior is stacked stone. My husband and I built it. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

@Equuisize:

DROOLING over your barn as well! WOW!

@Sdust:

OYE! Beautiful set up! I want your barn too!

@FancyShadow: What a brilliant idea: a round pen that is IN the barn so that you can work your horses even in bad weather.... Brilliant! Love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful barns you all. Debbie.... I LOVE your barn!!!!!!!!!!!

this is my little barn. It works.. I love having runs off each stall in the back. Great for mares and babies for me
default_smile.png

DSC_0084web.jpg

DSC_0165 Barn Sept 2010 web.jpg

DSC_7825 2 web.jpg

DSC_0044web.jpg

Thanks for the comments on my barn. Miniequine, your BARN is Beautiful!!!! I would have love to do something like that but with only one mini it is hard to spend all that money that a barn like yours must of cost. Debbie

Thanks for the comments on my barn. Miniequine, your BARN is Beautiful!!!! I would have love to do something like that but with only one mini it is hard to spend all that money that a barn like yours must of cost. Debbie

Thank you... The way to justify it..? Get more minis !!
default_smile.png
)

Everyones barns and stables are so nice!!

Sdust; I really like your little stable, although I'm sure you won't stay with one mini for very long ;)

Miniequine; I love your barn, I would love to build one like yours eventually!

SampleMM; I love your barn too, and would love to see the inside if possible.

Fancy Shadow; I like the idea of indoor roundpen, it has certainly given me some ideas for our place in Illinois

I'll need to post some pictures of our little stable once I get some better pictures.

Dan.

Im surprized some of you here can use round pens for stalls, my horses are too smart and know they can move them around by pushing them.
default_biggrin.png

We decided to put a round pen in the barn so that we could actually be ready for the first may show. Seems to rain every other day here till mid may or later every year.
default_biggrin.png
It also works to get horses to learn to jump over jumps. Just set them up where they are used to trotting around and they start to jump. Then we put them on a lead and jump them. Kids can handle them that way without so much help from Dave and Me.

After we work them in the pen for their alloted time, we open the gate and they can be enclosed in the pen along with the space between it and the stalls. There is a water tank there so they socialize a bit and get a drink while they cool down. Usually we leave them socialize about twice as long as they worked. We like to think it gives them something to look forward to after a workout.
default_laugh.png

The round pen is also the place our vet likes to do our gelding. We also use it for a place if we need to keep an eye on any horse and we want them to have plenty of room to move around. It is permanent and cannot be moved. It gets used for lots of things. I don't know how we got along without it.

I have had the one mini (Trey) since 2005 and do not have any plans to add another. We are very active and go lots of places to drive, so Trey gets to see other equines. He has a goat, Maxwell, for a friend after losing our Dobby to cancer last year. Trey loved his Dobby goat and it was hard on both of us when we lost him. I travel back and forth from Colorado and Oklahoma and I have one more year that I will need to do that and having another mini is out of the question. Trey does fine with the way things are, at least he seems happy. When I am finally able to live full time on our property in Colorado, where my beautiful barn is, then maybe, but then who knows? Debbie

Miniequine I love your barn. I can't wait to be able to share my new barn hopefully this year. Already designed how I want it but still trying to work on how I want the stalls.

My fist thought was to mix a bunch of cement this spring and lay that down, creating dry ground. Someone said, however, that I would also have to put re-bar braces in so the cement doesn't crack under the miniature horse's weight.

First I think you have a good little building to start with. Seems solid enough and easy to add onto eventually also.

Ok I'll address your damp floor problem and the cement. Yes to make a concrete floor properly you will need to build your forms (we usually use scrap 2x4's) and rebar and pieces of left over field fencing. You'd need to pour it about 3 to 4" thick I'd imagine if that is the route you want to take.

If not, I would get a truckload of 1" gravel and pour it super thick. When we did our barn floors, we put in a lot more than needed because then we ran it over continuously with 4 wheelers and the tractors to pound it down......then added more. On top we were very generous with sand. Part of my stalls are matted and part of them are not. The ones that do not have mats, are the biggest pain in the rear and are the cause of many of my grey hairs and my loss of jovial lollipops and rainbow sense of humor. Seems like when you dig out your pee holes, they get deeper and deeper each day and it never stops because most of my horses have that certain designated pee place. Watch for mats to go on sale at Tractor Supply.

Also I'm looking at your tin roof. Be sure when the ground starts to thaw, that the roof is not "raining" from condensation. I'll bet it is causing a lot of the dampness inside. I had that happen in another barn and it was the death of me. Soaked my horses and stalls all the time and ruined my bedding constantly until my barn became totally combustible so watch out for that one. Its a biggie. That's when we went to tar and shingles on our new barn.

Best wishes to this very exciting endeavor.

BarnMay07-2.jpg

Chbarninside-3.jpg

This shows the inside of the stalls. I placed a board where they eat because they love to paw during dinner time. Drives me batty.

Feedersinstalls-2.jpg

This is the back view of the stairs up to the loft and porch deck where I like to sit.

Project1-3.jpg

I love looking at everyone's barns and stalls! This is great as we have been trying to figure out a mini barn plan that will work for us. Great barns!
default_aktion033.gif

Sdust, your barn setup is so close to what we have in mind! May I ask what your final cost was? We may have to have someone frame it out for us but hubby could easily finish it. As many have recommended, we are planning on gravel floor with rubber mats. I really like the L-shape idea!
default_yes.gif

miniequine if your barn is gone when you go outside I didn't take it
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl

It really is beautiful though, and rather similar to what I hope to build in another year!

Pictures not too good, but taken from long distance away. Let mares run in the pasture with the lake in the day. At night I stall the mares and let the stallion run. Barn is 18 X 40. Sliding doors on end is for hay and feed. There are six stalls in the rest of the barn. I have two stallion pens, one small and one large. Lake sure helps with the water situation.

th_DSC00240800x6001.jpg

th_DSC002391.jpg

Bluebird "Sdust, your barn setup is so close to what we have in mind! May I ask what your final cost was?"

It was more than it should have been because we used exterior products that will mirror the house. But our total cost including permit fees was $8300. However, my insurance company valued it at $14,500. It has a metal roof and the board and batten was from a local lumber mill and that was $3000 and the rock was $500. So if you get a better deal on the exterior products you can built it for a little less. Hope that this helps. I do have the plans back in Colorado and would love to share them with you if you would like. I will not be back in Colorado until May. Let me know. Debbie

Debbie, Yes, thank you, I would love to see your barn plans. I think it would help me with our layout, where to have the stall, hay storage and future cart storage. We are looking at 10' x 24' with 7' overhang in front.

I love the board and batten look...that's my favorite.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back