Shaft Lengths

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boinky

Reaction score
As many of you know we have recently started building and selling show carts. I had a person contact me to buy one. She was unsure of what she needed and contacted her trainer to call me. I spoke to her trainer today and she was just using her Jerald as a "guide". she wasn't really sure how to measure shafts ect, but said that her shafts were only 42" on her jerald cart from the single tree to the tip after i told her where to measure. This seems AWEFULLY short to me. She told me to ship out what i felt would fit the horse. She said the mini was a 33" (non drafty) horse. I even looked on Jeralds page and the shortest shafts they had listed were the A cart which were 46".

I have a 33" stallion that wears a 42" blanket..so that's basically only the length of the horse and wouldn't leave much room I think even my 31" stallion would be a little squished...... I guess i just wanted to ask everyone else what their thoughts are on this.... I should go with my gut and send her something longer as in a 46 or a 48" or just make them 42" and hope he fits?? any thoughts??

I think you are correct that those would be awfully short shafts. As far as what you should do I would ask her if she could email a picture of the cart with a tape measure beside it :bgrin Something tells me this trainer doesn't actually know what she is talking about. If you have an email or other written communication from her stating "send what you think will fit" go ahead but otherwise I think you are headed for trouble!

Seems like when I ordered carts for the two different sized mini's I have the seller had me measure the mini from the side- front of chest directly back to the fullest point of the rump. This is a different measurement from getting the measurement for a blanket. If that measurement was 38" then she took that and added 12" onto the shaft length. Then, when put to the cart, the point of the shaft is back a few inches to meet the point of the shoulder creating a distance of 15" or so from the front of the cart to the mini's rump.

Hope this helps and good luck!

no i agree that with a blanket you measure from the center of chest to center of tail but it's still close to what a horses length is..so that would of course add on a few extra inches with it going around the chest and butt..but i'm still thinking that would not even come close to 12-15 extra inches behind the horse! I also spoke to the purchaser today and she wanted something that would fit something a little bigger too to have an all around cart that can be used on a variety of horses..so i think a 48" or 50" shaft is more what she needs.

thanks for everyones oppinion and suggestions!

Hillary

The shafts on the cart I had stolen were 46" and they extended to 52" which is the length I had them at the last time I sued it on a 33" mare.

I would go with your gut feeling- if it is way off they only have to ship the shafts back, not the whole cart, so I would not worry too much.

I have several size minies and shetlands. For the "A" sized minis (under 34") the shafts are 49" from single tree to tip. They all fit in this size. The "B" sized minis, if they are under 36" will fit in these shafts too, if they are 36-38" I use the 54" shafts. It gives them a little more room to extend at a trot. Rule of thumb. The shafts should not extend past the front (shoulder) of the horse when you hook them up, and you should not have your horse's butt MORE than 12" from the singletree. If you put your horse in too far from the singletree and they kick, they could get their feet over the shafts and have a problem. As for the shetlands, I have some measure at 39-42 that fit in the 54-60" shaft, and the larger Moderns go to the 60-72" shafts. It depends on their length of stride, and their back length. I like to allow them enough room to extend, but still be safe. (MHO)

Sandi

Mine is 48" from centre of single tree to the tip of shaft.

I have several size minies and shetlands. For the "A" sized minis (under 34") the shafts are 49" from single tree to tip. They all fit in this size. The "B" sized minis, if they are under 36" will fit in these shafts too, if they are 36-38" I use the 54" shafts. It gives them a little more room to extend at a trot. Rule of thumb. The shafts should not extend past the front (shoulder) of the horse when you hook them up, and you should not have your horse's butt MORE than 12" from the singletree. If you put your horse in too far from the singletree and they kick, they could get their feet over the shafts and have a problem. As for the shetlands, I have some measure at 39-42 that fit in the 54-60" shaft, and the larger Moderns go to the 60-72" shafts. It depends on their length of stride, and their back length. I like to allow them enough room to extend, but still be safe. (MHO)

Sandi
I agree with Sandi's measurements. We sell easy entry carts in two sizes for minis. 48 inch shafts for size A with 20 inch wheels. 54 inch shafts for size B with 26 inch wheels (36 inches and up). We have had carts built with shorter shafts and larger tires for those minis that are 34-35 inches tall. There should be 12-15 inches between horse and cart.

Ok good that makes me feel a whole lot better that i'm not going insane. I dont' think i've ever seen a 42" shaft (though maybe some custom made one for TEENY 26/28" mini's??). I can make whatever they need..but i certainly don't want to waste time and money on an item i'm pretty surewont fit a 33" mini... shipping isn't cheap!

Latest posts

Back