Selling horses...it's the people that are driving me nuts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baptism

Reaction score
I had one nice lady want my driving mare. I spent hours with her. She got to meet the mare and they got along. The mare was everything I said she was. Lady says she will take her. One small forgotten detail...planning and zoning won't let her have a horse in the back yard and her hubby is against it.

Next nice lady. Asks all the right driving questions. Rides big horses and wants to learn how to drive so figures a mini is not scary. She drives 4 hours to get to my house, we meet the mare, she is everything I said she would be. Except...the mare moves her front foot to balance while the buyer picks up a back foot and the buyer asks what's wrong with her, does she do this a lot? I am thinking buyers horse experience isn't as extensive as she says and explain that the mare was just off balance. She is the one I give to the kids for heaven's sake !

So, off we go to my trainers house so we can harness and hitch the mare and the buyer can get a lesson on proper hitching and driving. I want everyone to be happy when they leave. The mare does not fidget or move while harnessing and hitching. She has always been used on a cart but was hitched to a sleigh for this. Despite that she never put a foot wrong, did everything she was asked to do when she was asked to do it. And besides, to do this she had been put into a strange trailer, brought to a strange place, hitched to a strange vehicle AND in the dark. (several hours have gone by by now). The trainer explains how rare it is to find a good safe beginner horse. Buyer says she thinks she needs something really really quiet. The trainer mumbles to me "you mean like dead? ! " By this time I am frozen and have spent hours with this person. I encourage her to go home, (I don't want my mare with so flaky.)

How about some of your stories. I can't be the only one although I sure feel like it right about now !

Buyer emails me for pictures. I send 10. She wants more. I send another 6. They are all very clear, showing many views. She says she wants the horse and for me not to sell her. So I wait and wait. I never hear back from her again.

Buyer calls me and makes an appointment.

She is experienced horseperson.

She hasn't had horses since her kids were born and misses them.

Says she loves the horse and wants her.

But her children are allergic to horses so she says never mind.

Buyer calls and makes an appointment.

She is also an experienced horseperson.

Does not believe in vets. Her pappy is a good home made vet

but the power of prayer will heal a sick animal. Animals do not

like a lot of people interference when they are sick. You just let

them be and if the Good Lord wants to make a healing, He will.

Bye bye.

Buyer arrives out of nowhere unannounced.

Visiting up at the State Park up here.

Wants to buy a horse that is not for sale.

I show her which one is.

No, she wants the red one.

No, that horse is not for sale.

She gets mad at me and leaves in a huff.

Who was this lady?

Buyer calls and talks to me about the sales horse.

We seem to hit it off right away. She has a run in shed

and will breed her to her show stallion. Perfect! I am

overjoyed with this lady. She's got the place, the knowledge,

vets, a farrier in place but she owes them all some money before

they will lend her their services again and the feed store has to

be paid off before she can buy any more grain or hay. Says she

doesn't want to get the horse and have her starve. Oh thank you.

Buyer emails and calls. We go back and forth for weeks.

She says everything I want to hear and much much more.

Oh this is wonderful news. We reach a price and I am very happy.

She is ready to arrange transport. Oh happy day. But then at the

last minute she found a horse closer to her home. Oh nuts.

the post about favorate sayings is applicable here. What ain`t friuit and nuts is flakes just like in the Granola box.

For every flaky buyer there is a flaky seller too! I have run into both! LOL They make life interesting!

I am a seller and I am sane ( :lol: Honest!!)

There are NO sane buyers- something happens to people when they buy horses, and not just Minis!!!

Don't even go there!

Most folk who have bought from us have been fairly sane, but one person came and tried the horse for 2 hours, said they wanted quiet, said they wanted a plod. So we thought one horse in particular would suit them (this was a riding horse) They came back twice to ride and mess with him and said they'd buy him.

Instead of giving him any time to settle into his new home. (He had to travel for 4 days to a totally ailien environment) they started to ask things of him without getting a bond or trust. Then the e-mails started, he won't go fast, he won't go in front, (they didn't want a horse who might tank off) I could go on but it's boring. They got what they asked for, then didn't appreciate what a kind horse he was. We used to use him for total beginners.

I tend to buy from tatty photos or from a first gut instinct. 99% of the time it works. If it doesn't it's my fault, put it down to experience and carry on.

As usual, we took in an elderly mare from a local family (45 inches and unregistered) to rehome.

An entire family, including aunts/uncles/cousins and grampa arrives. Mom proceeds to lounge the horse in a less than natural horsemanship manner....at a run. Almost grabbed the leadline, but husband stopped me.

All the red flags were waiving in the wind! Lady called and said..."I think we'll just take her".

Well, sorry ma'am, I'm not comfortable selling the mare to your family. Uh oh. She was furious...told me they have a big, expensive house. AND HER POINT IS?

Oh yea!
default_yes.gif
: Had an experience with selling one of my horses to a person that said they were experienced etc...etc...blah blah blah.....won't go into details here on the forum, but I did'nt find out until after I sold the horse that this person was not what they made themselves out to be.
default_sad.png
Evidently did'nt have the experience and know how to handle a horse.

When I sold my full size horse trailer I had a buyer drop in to look and ask questions about it. I think sometimes I'm overly honest to a fault because I had listed all the "wrong" things with the trailer such as pointing out rust spots on the paint job etc....Structurally the trailer was in very good condition, and anyone who knows me knows that I am meticulous with my things. So I go outside with the girl and her boyfriend and right away it starts...the put downs, the hitting of the side panels, the stomping on the ramp ...this went on and on a few minutes and nothing good said about it. Here I'm thinking this must be some sort of tactic to get me to lower my price which I had had the trailer appraised from the dealer...so it was low enough!!! I was burning up by now and hot under the collar and had to really hold back to not tell her where she could get off at and just close up the trailer. Well once she slowed down a bit and was jib-jabbering, I proceeded to close the trailer up while she was following me around as I went about and did this. Then when I got done I started to walk away to just leave her and her man to stand around ....I am usually not like this but I thought better than to stand around and take some more of this nonsense. She called out to me that she would get in touch with me.....I thought to myself I HOPE not.

Well believe it or not that same night she DID call!!! And guess what she said? "We decided to take the trailer!" And she went on and on...I stood there for a second and let her blather.....then I told her, "No thank you, I'm not gonna sell it to you." She said "WHAT????? :new_shocked: You have a chance to UNLOOOOAAAAD it tonight.....for CASHHHHH!!!" I said "Oh but I would'nt feel right selling it to you with so many problems as you have made it out to have. Whats more....I'm not trying to UNLOOAAAAD it....I'm selling it and I want this trailer sale to give me a warm and fuzzy inside. Besides I don't think you'd be happy with it." And with that I hung up. :saludando:

A week later I sold it to a couple who had a 16 yr. old daughter looking for their first trailer with a dressing room. They were sooo excited with their new trailer!!
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Having owned a small grocery and working retail for 15 years I can tell you - PEOPLE CAN BE REAL WEIRD !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
I talked to a lady on the phone looking for a mini, that HAD to meet certain criteria. SHE had to be a filly now, HAD to be under 31 inches when grown, and HAD to have the sweetest and smartest personality. She was wanting this little horse to ride around in the backseat of her car with her when she went somewhere. She used to have one that would do that but he was too big for riding in the back seat like she wanted. I didn't even ask what happened to the last horse, she had already lost me by that point. She wanted to know if I could tell if my filly would stay under, and I mentioned about the cannon bone, I asked if she had any other horses, no. She told me to measure and let her know, and if she didn't hear from me she would know I thought my little filly would not stay under the preferred 31 inches. I didn't measure and I didn't call her back.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Selling is much like fishing to me... Much of the time the buyer is ready to buy, but needs to be given slack. I never pressure the buyer to clinch the sale or try to rush things timewise, and I really like leave that part up to them. I dont anymore want them to take a horse thats not perfect for them, than they want to get one that isnt perfect for them.. and I am allways just as thankful when I dont sell a horse, (as it wasent meant to be), as much as when I do sell a horse.
default_yes.gif
:

So very true! People are people and it really takes all kinds to make it interesting. :aktion033: :aktion033:

For every flaky buyer there is a flaky seller too! I have run into both! LOL They make life interesting!

Bought three horses at a sale for resale because EVERYONE around here wanted a mini and I have a good eye. First one blew me off twice [very glad I didn't sell to them]. I offered them the bay gelding which is now Courtney's gelding. I was asking $1500 which is fair for a national caliber show gelding. Oh, no they bought a mare for more money with a crooked front leg, marginal breeding and was told in not so many words they knew more than me. Success is the best revenge because that gelding whipped their butts in the youth and open classes to a fare thee well. Not only that he got his Hall of Fame in Halter at two and has 17 grands to his name! Next one has a daughter that had cancer surgery and is afraid of big horses. I have a totally bombproof super sweet little fuzzball that is great for 4-H , youth, therapy,etc.. He has won is open classes but I don't consider him a show horse. Well, the daughter loved him, wanted to take him home right then and there. I firmly believe a kids horse should have miles on to drive especially with rank beginners. They also wanted to put him in with their full size mare that had four shoes!!! {NO WAY} I explained to them you never put a mini with a full size horse ESPECIALLY a witchy mare with four shoes! They did see my point and agree it shouldn't be done. I was upfront and honest and told them the little guy was a little weak behind and jumping was not a great idea for him, but driving, obstacle, showmanship would be fine. Well they loved him wanted him and then I got a call a couple of days later. My daughter wants to do more than what he can do. So they buy a horse probably for more money than I asked and it doesn't drive and isn't trained and they are rank beginners, even though they have "had" horses for years. Linda B

I am trying to sell and to buy. Not having luck in either department. Just know you are not alone.

This is longgggg....

OK so I have (now had) my Fjord mare up for sale. Riding her hurts my back.

Have had a few people that want her but don't have the money.

There was one lady that was really interested in her. Seemed really nice too.

Lets just say by the time she was changing her mind on every level I was doing this....
default_shutup.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
: :deadhorse2:
default_torch.gif
:

First she would pay the money up front. Few days later she wanted to make two payments,, and then few days after that, she want to make three. I really don't want to do payments with someone, as a few times in the past I have had some major problems.

Then she wants to see my mare here and she will bring the horse trailer. Like OKK what is wrong with just driving here and checking her out first?

Then she wants me to take her to an indoor arena somewhere.

OK... I have 14 acres to ride on...but no indoor arena.

Slight problem, I do not have a truck and trailer.

Hiring a Transport company that did in state transport would cost $400 abt each way. OK that will not do, am not paying that can't afford too, so someone can see my horse.

Can understand she wants to ride her in a arena. However I just have a simple farm.

She changed the days she wanted to come here many times. To the point I had to change two of my own appointments just to have this person back out.

Then she wanted to take her to the barn I bought her from to see her under cart. I said fine. However I am not paying for the transport cost to and from this barn that is 3 1/2 hours away from me. I just can't afford it.

The possible buyer said fine she would pay. However I want a contract written to that affect and signed before my mare left here.

It would have to be on a weekend since my hubby would have to drive me because of my knee.

After I told her that, she wanted that Barn owner to come and get her. It would be easier for her.

The Deal is the same I said.

She said if she likes Dustenai that she will leave a part check with that barn owner and take Dustenai.

Told her again Dustenai is not going anywhere without a signed contract. The Barn owner has nothing to do with selling my mare.

Even offered her a 30 day suitability guarantee. It is a good deal but one still has to sign a contract.

Then she didn't want to take her to that barn and wanted to see her here again. This went on with more than a few emails and a few weeks.

Then I get I don't want to drive two hours to check the horse out without bringing the trailer.

Then I get but it is raining out.

Could go on but at this point things were getting silly.

Fact of the matter is,, my mare is not leaving the property without some kind of contract. I am not letting a stranger drive off with my mare even to try her out at another barn with out some kind deposit and a signed contract.

I gave her 4 options on how she could make this work but she didn't seem to want to work with any of them.

Have never seen any one change their minds as much as she did.

I do totally understand she would want to try her out in cart. I would too.

Was willing to work with her to a point. That point was a signed contract and small deposit would have given to take my mare off my Farm. That is for my protection.

If I had a truck and trailer things would be easier. But I can's afford those things right now. At the same time if I did have a truck and trailer,, I am not going to drive somewhere 3 1/2 hours away just to show the horse.

Tried to get her to check out the other Fjord barns in the area to shop around and she said no she didn't want to do that.

I took that is, she already tried those places and they wouldn't play either.

I spent a week tuning Dustenai up in the rain no less. Boy was I in pain from doing that.

When I am buying I will ride where ever the horse is.. in the rain in a field, if need be. Am not going to require the owner to trailer the horse all over the place. When I say I am going to be there,, sort of someone in the family getting sick I will be there. I also will have the cash in hand if I want to buy.

No reason to expect the owners to carry a loan on a business transaction.

After this I just took Dustenai off the market. Right now all I seem to be getting is screw balls.

Rather have her stay here than go to someone like that.

Am also looking into breeding her,, she is that nice a Fjord all the way around.

Just means my budget for a nice gaited horse is a lot less. Sigh ~ ~ ~

Or give up looking and just work with my Squirrel.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

On the Flip side... when I email folks with horses that I am really interested in. You will have to answer a lot of Questions about your horse. I know what I need and am looking for. I know what is possible with good breeding, temperament and training.

Here is what I have been mostly running into.

I am starting to dread going horse shopping. Never thought to say that.

So I go see this Icelandic mare today. Touted as this wonderful Beginners horse,, can go out alone and all that.

So I get there,, and find out she is major barn sour. Tried to buck twice when I asked her to turn away from the barns she could see for goodness sakes. Made her bend and turn to disengage her hind quarters so she couldn't buck. I would ask her to walk in the circle,, and she would fight it.

Made sure to be very light on the bit and kept my legs off her sides..since she likes to rush.

She would lower her head, toss her head,, she wanted back in the barn that bad.

She was the most rank horse I have tried to date!

After a short bit, I just got off and told the sellers she is not what I am looking for.

So not only I learn she bucks,, she is barn sour... she also doesn't like to go out alone like I was told she would. Quote," she will let you know she doesn't like going out alone."

Top that off,, she is the tinest Icelandic I have ever been around. She is shorter than Dyfra even though I was told she was the same height.. and half the width. Felt like I was riding on a postage stamp!

OK,, what part of my questions don't people seem to understand?

Level headed, calm, easy going, can go out alone with no fussing?

Could of saved both of us time,, and my body from a long drive if people would be up front and honest.

There have been others with training issues,, major ones. Why to people not say the truth about their animals? Some problems I might be willing to deal with. Others I do not want any part of. Would like to know before I drive hours and hours to go see a horse.

I have a project horses here,, I do not need another. Sigh ~ ~

Also with buying,, will be paying by cash...will do a Vet check first, just to help make sure all is ok in that department. Have had turn me down as a buyer because I wanted a Vet check. Makes me wonder.

Am about ready to give up looking for a good riding horse at this point.

The really good horses sell really fast.

Next nice lady. Asks all the right driving questions. Rides big horses and wants to learn how to drive so figures a mini is not scary. She drives 4 hours to get to my house, we meet the mare, she is everything I said she would be. Except...the mare moves her front foot to balance while the buyer picks up a back foot and the buyer asks what's wrong with her, does she do this a lot? I am thinking buyers horse experience isn't as extensive as she says and explain that the mare was just off balance. She is the one I give to the kids for heaven's sake !

So, off we go to my trainers house so we can harness and hitch the mare and the buyer can get a lesson on proper hitching and driving. I want everyone to be happy when they leave. The mare does not fidget or move while harnessing and hitching. She has always been used on a cart but was hitched to a sleigh for this. Despite that she never put a foot wrong, did everything she was asked to do when she was asked to do it. And besides, to do this she had been put into a strange trailer, brought to a strange place, hitched to a strange vehicle AND in the dark. (several hours have gone by by now). The trainer explains how rare it is to find a good safe beginner horse. Buyer says she thinks she needs something really really quiet. The trainer mumbles to me "you mean like dead? ! " By this time I am frozen and have spent hours with this person. I encourage her to go home, (I don't want my mare with so flaky.)

How about some of your stories. I can't be the only one although I sure feel like it right about now !
Is she still for sale?
default_wink.png
: I'm in the market for another mare and would love one already trained to drive. My only hitch... I need to sell one full-size horse, before I can bring another mini home. [Although, according to my husband it takes about 3 minis to equal one full-size, so if I sell my APHA filly, I can bring home three minis with that logic. :bgrin ]

Not a horse, but I have a flakey buyer story to share!

We are selling our home in Southern California and moving to Oklahoma. Thanksgiving weekend, I get an urgetn call from the Realtor we had it listed with with an offer on the house: $5000 under our listed price and the buyers want us to pay 2.5% of the sales price toward their costs. They are allegedly pre-approved and ready to go and are putting up a $2000 deposit (normal in this area is $1000 for a deposit).

It wasn't what we wanted but we figured 1) the market was slooooow at the time and 2) they were serious and wanted a fast escrow, better to just sell and get going. Now, bear in mind that the listing says house needs repairs...

::sigh:: They have an inspection done (if you've ever had an inspection done, the inspectors note every little detail and then some...even stuff that is just plain silly. On a house built in 1967, trust me, there is plenty LOL). Buyers submit a repair request with EVERYTHING from the inspection report: including-they wanted us to replace the carpet because the report noted it needed to be cleaned (well..umm..DUH, it is at least 20 years old...you didn't notice that when you looked at the house???) BUT, the best one was they wanted us to relocate the power poles...reroute the power entrance lines because they go over the garage ::sigh:: So, we go back and forth for a few weeks on repairs. Everytime we seem to have an agreement, they change something...

Buyer has appraisal done (which comes in fine) and then POOF...drops off face of earth. Does not return their Realtor's calls. After about 2 weeks our Realtor tells us to give it up...

Contract said that if they defaulted, we got to keep their deposit. Guess what? Their deposit was never put into escrow!

So, now we are back at square 1...with a different Realtor (one who will verify that the deposit is in escrow!). We consulted an attorney and are pursuing the Buyers in small claims court...

Yes, buyers can be FLAKEY!

Had a lady buy a filly. I had not yet transfered the registration papers to my name from previous owner. She came and looked at her a couple of times. I told her the papers were not transfered, and gave her all the bills of sale AND deducted my fees and late fees from the sale price (that is only fair) Also, had measured the horse with a regulation measuring stick on concrete.

Lady picks up horse after coming to see her twice and I explain to send in papers and BOTH bills of sale and her fees and my fees to transfer. Lady calls back a mohth later and cannot figure out what to send- she says they are new at this (they have other big horses and two other minis).

I make arrangements to drive up to her place, and spent several hours talking horses and not only reexplained the transfer issue. (something had been sent to AMHA short a fee or something and she couldnt understand what AMHA wanted) so I wrote a LIST and paperclipped all together so it was ready when she was ready to resend it, with the list, detailing who needed what for AMHA and AMHR. Encouraged her that if she had questions, the AMHA office would gladly help her and explain what they needed.

Weeks and weeks go by. Thought all was well.

I get a NASTY email at 5 a.m. as we are leaving for the weekend, telling me she has never had so much trouble in her life, and that it was my fault, and she was out 'all this money' and she is bring the horse back and dumping it in my yard and wants a full refund so look for her this weekend. Oh, also that she measured the horse with a yardstick and got a bigger measurement than I did.

Was too livid to reply at that moment and heading out the door. Dont have ANY idea what the trouble is!!

Sent an email later and asked what the problem was. Also told her that I do not give cash refunds but a farm credit and would have babies in the spring if she would like to return the mare and pick something else. But need to know what the trouble is.

Still cant figure out what is wrong with the transfer. She apparently got the previous owner involved and had it not been for her asking if she could send another bill of sale, I would NEVER have gotten it. Many emails went back and forth before I finally figured out for myself that lady had now sent the transfer with only the bill of sale from me to her, not the original from the breeder to me. Dont know if she sent enough fees at this point- she still wont say!!

Conversation got stronger when I figured out what had happened and she was making this all my fault and she was out all this money for transfer fees and all.... Also that AMHR would not register her til she was 3. <WHAT??? She is already registered R and the lady has ALL the paperwork!!> Asked what that was all about- no explanation there either at all- just simply didnt answer my questions but continued ranting that this was 'all my fault'.

Asked her what happened to the written LIST I left her with and the paperclipped stuff that I had all together for her? Also made mention again that I had GIVEN her money back for my fees and any late fees. Advised her if she wanted to remeasure the horse with a correct measuring stick on level concrete she was more than welcome. Told her this was the third time I was explaining all this.

Told her I was not taking a horse back because she could not figure out how to send in 2 transfers instead of 1. There is nothing wrong with the mare. Also strongly suggested that if she STILL had questions, to please contact AMHA directly. After four explanations I had run out of words - and patience <not one of my virtues>

Last email from her said 'oh I found the other bill of sale so let's just drop it, ok'?? Then she told me that I dont take feedback very well. Never said I apologize or ever did explain what the whole issue was and never DID tell me what the second letter from AMHA said!!! Uh well when you are emailing in the middle of the night screaming nonsense with NO explanation to me and you are 'just bring the mare back so look for me this weekend' I guess I didnt take it real well.

She NEVER DID explain the issue, between the emails from the original owner, her and myself I had to figure it out. I felt like I was playing charades or on some creepy game show!!!

To this day, I have NO idea if she ever figured out how to send in the transfers or whether she has gotten this done. It was only the registration papers, two bills of sale and the fees.

Latest posts

Back