selling a rig?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would ask around if I were she.

Ask local veterinarians. Perhaps one can take him or donate him to a school or teaching veterinary practice if such thing exists...I don't know that a colt w/out his testicles descended should be left intact for any reason.

My vet did the surgery for a single retained testicle (very high) for $240 including 7 days at his clinic and meds. I realize that I am lucky, but after expecting it to cost nearly $1000, I was quite pleased to find that the answer to my dilemma (gelding a monorchid) was right near home.

It does not hurt to get other opinions and explore options. I understand that there was only the one exam. Get more, get specific and find out what it is and isn't (opposed to a bunch of maybes). I know some don't descend until later, but it's my feeling they should be down by that age and if not, that is reason enough to geld them, and certainly not use for breeding.

I've heard (and I do not know this for truth, this is merely something I've heard and read in some instances) that retained testicles are more likely to be diseased as in cancerous, and that sometimes the stallions w/retained testicles can be more hormonal and unpredictable than the normal stallions. I don't know this to be true or untrue, it may be something to address with veterinarians.

Good luck....

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back