Seizures??!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suspect low blood sugar or hypogylcemic (SP). I have had several instances similar to these over the years too with complete blood workups and suggestions as to all kinds of possiblities. None showed up in testing.

I had a mare last year with one month baby do the same thing. Gave her kayro syrup and she pulled right out of it. She was stumbling, weaving while walking and nearly fell, could not hold her head up or straight similar to what you would expect WNV symptoms?

When I lived in CA I had several show these symptoms and one actually had a full blown seizure, neck stretched, stiff and body stiff and on the ground with uncontrolable thrashing, it lasted for several minutes. Nothing showed on any of the tests for her or the others, she was fine after that instance. I was feeding high molasses diet (omalene and other sweet feeds), I just think it was inbetween feedings and their blood sugar level dropped drastically, just like it does with us when this happens. Some symptoms are more severe than others. The mare last year was on omalene also.

Good luck, I hope your mare does not have another.

Beth

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be scary as hedouble toothpicks! I saw that someone on the thread mentioned a calcium deficiency and nursing. I had this happen several years ago to a QH, a cow vet for her, and he couldn't seem to come up with any answers. When her foal was trying to nurse when she was down, I screamed at the vet that he had to find/do something. This was happening when she was in season. He told me he was going to try something that could kill her or cure her. I said "do something". He gave her a calcium shot, she got up, and was fine ever since. Nothing ever showed up in her bloodwork or anything else. All I know is that after the calcium shot, she got over everything. Could that possibly be what it was? Were all the horses nursing, or possibly in season?

Three of the four here have been nursing foals.... and one was about 8 months pregnant. I wonder....

I have only had one that has had a seizure. We gave ivermectin to all the horses and apparently she is alergic to it. She had about 3 or 4 seizures (it has been about 10 years)--each one was less severe. We didn't realize it was the ivermectin till we gave it to her again and the same thing happened. Now she doesn't get ivermectin and has done very well since. Fat and sassy (and I do mean 'sassy") The vet couldn't figure it out either, but we sure did when it happened again so did you give her anything like that that may have caused a temporary problem?

I have had 2 do this. One mare had hypothyroid And IR This happened when I was giving her meds. and had her head lifted. We never got her under control I could never keep her comfortable. I ended up putting her down. And the other was this year when I had another founder and I think she is IR because I have her on a stricked diet of Platform and she got sound. I think it has something to do with suger. This one also did it when I was giveing meds. And I think the stress made the sugar drop. My vet said that maybe I was pinching a nerve when I lifted there heads, but other than that they had no explanation. Lorie

Considering the pregnancy &/or nursing aspects, I'm thinking like most others -- blood sugar &/or calcium deficiency. These mares make huge amounts of milk for those foals and their body will "give" all their nutrients when needed for this......the foals does majority of growth inutero during final couple of months.

It all adds up, really. When a new foal is low on calcium, they "jerk", as if hiccups has set in. Couple calcium pills in water, syringed to them takes effect in a very short time.

I have low sugar myself -- know this can make you very dizzy, memory gone, you can sieze, you can pass out and comatize if extreme enough. Have had dog & horse sieze and in each case, honey brought them out with no issues. In both cases, the animal had been off feed! (tooth removed in a mare, tiny dog had minor vet procedure).

The common denominator(s) point to foaling/lactating issues, with no other seeming health problems (per tests). This is why many broodmares get alfalfa in late pregnancy & during nursing foals...maybe without the care giver fully understanding "why" it's a good practice. I used to keep a tube of a gel that is intended for cattle after calving, in case I needed (CMKP), and a bottle of human calcium tabs.

It's scary !!!!!!!!
default_yes.gif

THANK YOU BONNIE! I think your information may be of great help and some of it sure made sense. I will do some more digging and get back with my vet with some further questions. Maybe we can figure this out yet!

I do not know about the first two instances -- but the mare with the foal -- I had a mare last year do the very same thing - I thought she was dying!!! She had a two week old foal. Called my Vet and she said to give her Karo surup immediately that it was probably low blood sugar. I gave the Karo surup and she was fine.
default_new_shocked.gif
I had to keep her on the Karo surup for about two weeks - and the Vet had me to feed her at the same times each day. If I was late giving her her food - she would start to have this seizure thing - would quickly give her the Karo and her feed and she would be fine!! Good Luck!!

OMG!!! Bonnie, get a load of this!!

She is a bit sore by her right eye, as you said and her right hock does have a tiny lump- this is the side she fell on when she went down.

The pancreas has a couple of functions:

To produce enzymes that aid in the digestion of carbohydrates, fats and proteins. These enzymes, which regulate metabolism, are released into ducts by exocrine cells (the term exocrine means to release externally, into ducts).

To produce hormones essential to regulating the body's main energy source, called glucose (blood sugar), in the bloodstream. These hormones include insulin, which is necessary to lower glucose levels by moving it into cells, and glucagon, which raises glucose levels in the blood. They are produced by endocrine cells (endocrine means to release internally, into the bloodstream).

One of the primary functions of the spleen is in the formation and filtration of blood. It is also one of the organs that produces a type of white blood cell that is extremely important to the immune system. While filtering blood, it removes bacteria and old blood cells. The spleens of horses, dogs and cats are a bit different than humans- more of a 'storage type' which serves as a reservoir for red blood cells.

Low blood sugar can and does cause seizures! They are similar to epileptic ones, but caused by the drop in sugars.

I was a bit later feeding that night, and with nursing a foal, she could be more sensitive to her sugar levels?

And my understanding is that before a seizure hits, there is a wave of nausea. And you were right also, in regards to she was unconcious as well- she was just before the big seizure hit. I also noticed that when we were able to get her back into the stall a few feet away, she pooped. This is another 'after seizure' symptom.

Doing further research regarding my neighbors and the two that lost sight temporarily, this can also be an affect from the seizures.

It was hard, but I pulled up some videos of seizures to watch and yep, that is exactly what happened with this mare. Lost conciousness and then went into the stiff body, then the thrashing, then just laying there still out of it, trying to breathe, was too wobbly to get up, then when she did, took her a couple of minutes to get her legs under her again completely. She was very quiet after- I see the seizures make one very tired.

I also learned there are many kinds of seizures- some a 'partial' and some were small- which may be something like Riverdance described.

This does not seem to be that uncommon of an occurrance by the postings here!!!! And it IS terrifying! Wonder if I ought to give her some Karo once in a while?

Just wanted to comment on the HYPP thing mentioned

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure HYPP cannot be found in minis. It is a quarter horse thing that is genetic and actually has been traced back to one horse in particular, Impressive.

Latest posts

Back