Seizures in dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keri

Reaction score
I got a chihuahua a few years ago. She was the mom on a puppy farm, had 3 litters before she was 3. The guy sold all her puppies and offered her at a "discount" price. I wanted a chihuahua, so we took her. I've had her for 5 years now and she's around 8-9 years old. She started having seizures shortly after we got her. So I took her to the vet for bloodwork. They told me she had idiopathic eplilepsy (sp?). So basically they don't know why a dog around 3 years old was having seizures. So we put her on phenobarbitol. It lessened the amount of seizures she had, but didn't completely stop them. Well about a year after that, she started getting hip displasia. I've tried joint stuff to help her with that also. But right now, she's on purina total senior food since it is recommended for joint problem dogs. But when she was on the phenobarbitol, she started gaining water weight like crazy. Went from being 7lbs to being 13 or so. And it wasn't helping her hip situation out any and really wasn't helping her seizure problem. So I took her off of the medication. She hasn't had as many seizures (that we catch). I catch about 1 every month or sometimes less. What I was wondering was is there a different medication or herb that I can put her on to help lessen the seizures without putting weight on her?? Her hips problems have gotten bad enough that I can't "pop" her hips back in, but she can get around. Eventually she'll have to have wheeled assistance. But she can't gain anymore weight due to this. The vets aren't really any help as far as trying to find something else for her. Just curious if anyone has had a situation like this. Thanks!
default_saludando.gif

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/

Is your best bet......they are a wonderful group...I have had a lot of luck there. I have a 14lb chinese crested that was a puppy mill dog, and he had seizures all the time to now hardly ever. I do not have him on any meds at this time. He is on a grain free, all natural dog food and he goes to the chiro for regular adjustments. he has been seizure free for 2 years now, where he was having them several times a month. best of luck to you, I know how frustrating it can be.

I had a cocker spaniel (I believe he was a puppy mill guy) about 20 years ago. He developed seizures and we gave him medication from the vet, he did seem to get better and lived a full life. Good luck and enjoy your dog everyday you have him!

That skullcap and milk supplements look promising. I'll have to try those. Thanks!
default_smile.png

Back