Security and/or Stolen Items at National

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy Warner

Reaction score
sad.gif
Ever since we arrived home from National in Tulsa I have been contemplating how to bring this up... write to AMHR headquarters or ??? I have decided to see what others think that might also know about what happened at National in Tulsa.

Stolen Horse Trailers: At least three that I know of by the time we left Saturday afternoon.

My husband and I were approached (Friday afternoon) and asked if we had maybe moved the wrong horse trailer or taken the wrong one home or ???, as it was a Hart and ours is a Hart. But ours is three feet longer and has a side loading ramp and I know we would have noticed that had we even tried to load or move it. Plus, we have a lock on our bumper pull that you have to remove before you can hook it up to your vehicle (this is probably why that Hart was taken and not ours) and we have it personalized with our names, etc. (which I realize would only take a trip to a hot car wash sprayer to remove).

There were also two others stolen on Friday night. One belonged to a trainer that had everything loaded into it except the horses. They went to eat before hitting the road and came back to no trailer.

The third horse trailer I didn't get the story on, but the security guard at the EXPO grounds that I know from our showing dog days and being building and grounds over in the main big building with the driller statue in front of it told us that three horse trailers and a flatbed had been stolen in the course of 36 hours or so. She and her husband work at the EXPO in security, but work opposite shifts. She said her husband felt really bad because his position was at a point to watch the parking lot where the biggest part of the trailers are parked, but every so often he has to make a tour around the rest of the area and that someone must have been watching him to know when he did this and then made there move for what must have been at least two of the horse trailers and the flat bed.

Stolen Horses & Dog On Wednesday, very early in the AM, I heard the tiny clip clop of hooves go right by our tack stall and didn't think anything about it. After all, no other horses whinned and it wasn't a wild running sound. I wasn't sure of the time, but someone could have been going to start grooming on their horse. It was reported later that a gray horse was missing from our barn. Over the next two days another horse came up missing and one was found that no one had claimed by the time we left Saturday afternoon. Then I find out that a puppy dog was also stolen right out of the pen it was in with it's sibling. The people that had the puppy brought it back to play with it's sibling while they did ???, and when they came back, it was gone.

What else was stolen... do you have anything to add to the list?

Dealing with theft! Having dealt with the EXPO services for a number of years during dog shows, here is some of the things that we tried.

Fenced in an area for the dog show people to park in. This was a two fold answer to dogs getting lose and being in a semi contained area (easier to catch a get-a-way) and people just walking off with something out the gate they shouldn't be walking out with.

Parking permits were put in the windows of the allowed vehicles for a number of years and changed color/dates/format every year. These were given out when they checked into the building.

We tried hiring extra "T-Shirt" security guards and this was just not good. Cheap protection. They are usually minimum wage young people (nothing against youth, I am all for youth with ambition and drive for an eventual goal in life) whom don't look very official and are usually so busy socializing with each other or bored to tears that they don't care what is going on around them.

Something most people don't know about that big building is that it has tunnels running under it and the year that a bunch of the "fake sheepskin dog bedding" vendor had about half her inventory stolen without it being seen going out the building above ground, it was thought that it went out through the underground to another part of the building.

We were also warned one year, by EXPO personnel, to tell our participants to keep their purses, important or expensive belongings in a safe place as it appeared that there were people watching the parking lots and when ladies, inparticular, would leave their purse in their car (wear a fanny pack instead) and go into the flea market next door, that car would get broken into and the purse stolen.

We hired extra EXPO uniformed security guards for outside and inside the building. They cost more, but that did help having one patrol inside and two outside.

What did the most good was having two or three uniformed County Sheriff on duty the whole time of the show. They weren't just uniformed, the carried their guns and could take action that the EXPO staff couldn't take.

Now I know what a lot of the above sounds like and I have to agree... someone, somewhere from a good vantage point is still watching and taking advantage of their moment with acceptance of looking like they belong and being quick about it. We (the dog show cluster) always felt like we were being forced into hiring the extra staff to safeguard our belongings. I was always glad that I was able to take my dogs to my motel/hotel room with me and when we first started showing the horses I hated not being with them, so we started staying in our tack stall. I feel much better about being near them. I think because of their size, they are much easier to walk off with.

I looked around our barn and only saw one camera in it and you couldn't even tell if it was hooked up. I know I have been down there when they have been having auctions and it was pointed at the area (east end in front of rest rooms, wash rack and office) where they would have had the semi round pen for the horse being auctioned which would have been right over all the stalls the sale horses were waiting in.

I know that the EXPO charges for every little thing you use. Every stall, every electrical drop box, every bleacher put in place or moved because you made a mistake where it was put, every t-shirt guard, security guard, tables, chairs and on and on. I do see where they are a little more flexible with the horse shows as we were not allowed to bring in "any" outside food vendors after around 1998 or so when a new food service took over. But...

In order not to allow such thefts what can be done? Fence in an area just for horse trailers and put a guard on the interest 24/7 (like other horse shows currently do at this site)? Make up tickets in two part so that you must have the matching portion to move that trailer out of that area. It might be a little inconvenient until we got used to it, but I would not like to have to replace my horse trailer and everything in it, would you? It would also cost more to the AMHR, but I am sure with entires now double what they were the first year at this site and with the site improvements that are being made and further to be made, they should be able to afford this protection as the National grows and minis become more and more popular.

We have to protect ourselves too and that means not leaving puppies where just anyone can pick them up. Sure it is nice to socialize them with human contact, but when there are so many people picking the up and putting them down or running to show someone else the puppy, how is a nearby person to know if the wrong person is picking up the dog and walking off with it.

The same goes for our horses. What are we to do... chain their stalls shut... dangerous if there is an emergency of something like a fire or tornado... by the way... over in the big building I mentioned before... that is a tornado shelter and I will never forget the year that they had a tornado warning and there were horses and people and dogs in the shelter between the first and second floors. That is the year that the big 76 truck stop was taken out and has never been replaced.

We need ideas to present to AMHR head office. This kind of stuff can be prevented, but it takes ideas with forethought and common sense.

So, what do you think? What can be done? What is done in your area at your major sites?

And yes, I live about 125 miles from the EXPO and participated for many years (1988 to 2001) in dogs shows there as well as the planning of the dog shows and now I am back there and although the site is "so much improved" I still am seeing some of the same problems cross over to the horse shows.

Nancy Warner

I think you have brought up some very valid points, our show is growing so huge that we need to take extreme security measures.

I had to leave to come back to college on Weds night so when I had left I had heard nothing of the stolen items. I know (or am pretty sure) some things have been stolen in the previous years also, but don't recall trailers?

I am not sure the measures the Expo center would do - or could do, but I have the past couple of years went to the Mid South Fair AMHA show in Memphis, TN. The first year, I brought locks for all my stalls even horse stalls as this fair is Huge and is NOT in a good neighborhood to say the least........and it was hard to me to decide as like mentioned if you have stalls locked a fire comes how can someone get the horses out??

But when I got there I never used them as they have it set up where I felt very safe leaving them. They had chainlink fences around the barn and arena (with one entrance/exit) at night they had it padlocked and a security guy stayed all night Inside with the horses. Then around the whole huge fairgrounds facility was another chainlink fence, to get in you had to have a gate pass and to park a parking pass - if you had a trailer you had to show health papers at the gate.

While I don't think Tulsa could put the fence around the barns and arena, I do think a fence around the WHOLE expo would be great, for security reasons and also for breakaway horses. They could have it where you had to have a gate pass to get in/out (only thing would be there not sure how you would treat spectators?? Charge admission, but then again I don't really like that idea as we want as many people to see the minis as possible) Maybe if you had to have a gate pass to get in/out of the exp if you were pulling a trailer? Or just something simple as showing coggins to get in/out of the expo (if it was fenced off where you only had a couple of exits and they had someone at them)

Something to ponder about.......

Nancy, I do not show but this is a horrible instance. You make some very good points and I believe that this thread put into letter form and signed by as many folks as you can get would help out. Even used as an email to be passed and signed would be great. The registries would have to listen. The members pay for the shows. I admire you for coming forward over a very sensitive topic.

I believe a couple of show halters were stolen, I know a western show halter of mine was stolen. Also a couple of scooters.

And I know that in broad daylight during the stakes classes I heard a harness was taken out of the basket of the cart. A person was right there but was watching the horse and not the cart.

Horses being stolen and trailers being stolen is very serious. They need cameras viewing all of the barns, and security guards patroling the parking lots. Saturday morning was quite honestly the first time I've ever seen the guards
new_shocked.gif

They defintelly need to step up next year or I'm going to be sleeping in the stalls and keep my trailer hooked up to the truck at all times.

Trailer theft is one of the reasons I had a hole drilled in the piece that closes the collar, I can put a small padlock on there and lock the hitch collar closed so it can't be stolen so easily. If they want it that bad they will have to work at it...something many thieves don't have time for or are afraid they will get caught if taking too much time trying to hacksaw the lock off.

Horses are another thing......hard to padlock the stall in case there is a fire or the horse needs assistance immediately if injured or sick.

Steph

I had heard the same reports on Friday night during Liberty. Its hard to say what to do.....there will always be low lifes stealing other's hard earned property. I get a lot of kidding for locking my trailer door, leaving my trailer hooked, and locking my tackstalls but I've never had anything stolen at a show (knock on wood). It just pays to be aware of your surroundings. I also sleep in my tack stall which is another way to protect your belongings.

kmh said:
Trailer theft is one of the reasons I had a hole drilled in the piece that closes the collar, I can put a small padlock on there and lock the hitch collar closed so it can't be stolen so easily. If they want it that bad they will have to work at it...something many thieves don't have time for or are afraid they will get caught if taking too much time trying to hacksaw the lock off.

And that is what I do also my collar already was set up to lock it down with a padlock~! Which was a nice thing so no holes needed to be drilled...

Yep all of our trailers have locks as well. But then again how many big silver trailers that say Fantasy Corral and all the animals on it do you see???? It would be kinda hard to steal that one.

Steal a horse??? Why??? THere worthless with out there papers.

Makes me re think wanting to take horse down there.

I dont every remember hearing about that much theft before.

My grandson had his camera bag taken-- his digital camera & all of his chargers etc & his pictures of all his classes with him in as well as winning his ribbons.His mom was taping his class & had left the bag in our handicap scooter basket. However, I guess when they realized there was no camera in the bag they threw it away * Dianne had reported it to the security crew & the housekeeping crew & it was turned in to the AMHR ofice so after a miserable night it was returned. So, Scott was one of the lucky ones.

Mia (from Flying A) also had her tricycle stolen -- but I heard it was returned later in the week.

Bruce Abbott said he had taken a load of stuff out to his trailer on Sat morning & went back in for another laod & it was gone when he returned. They sure are bold.

Years ago when I went to one of the mini / exotic sales - if you were staying over night you had to park your trailers in a fenced area and it was patrolled by several guys on horseback. If they had to go to a different part of the grounds, the gate was locked. And you had to have a ticket to get back into that area if you wanted to get something out of your trailer.

Seems like this might be one option to take care of the trailer problem. This is not AMHR's issue - it is the state fair grounds issue but something that AMHR (and other horse shows using the facility) could insist on.

I think the mini show participants are little more vulnerable because "we are all friends" and tend to be a little too trusting (naive?????)...leaving our carts sitting in front of stalls, not locking tack stalls, etc.

The flat bed trailer stolen belonged to some friends of ours from Missouri who had driven to the show Tuesday to exhibit their carts and wagons and to photograph them pulled by our horses. They had the trailer parked in the circle drive on the south side of Barn A and had just left for 15 minutes to grab a sandwich. It was reported that an old beat up green pickup truck hooked onto the trailer and hauled it off. They had to purchase a new trailer to get their wagons home.
thumbdown.gif

I feel very fortunate that neither of my trailers were taken, although both are equipped with a king-pin hitch for my semi and unless someone had a semi or truck with a fifth-wheel hitch they would have to trade out the hitch assembly which might be "noticed" and suspicious.
ohmy.gif

I have made a small investment in bolt locks for the trailers and also king-pin locks for the hitches. Red Neck Trailer Supply carries both on their web site.
yes.gif

I definately like the idea of a fenced area for the trailers and a "receipt" for them when you drop them off. Excellent idea. More and more I love my Dobe who guards our tack stall when we are in the arena. She is a rescue dog and the love of my life. Thanks to Ruby, nothing of ours was taken although when the stealing started we took turns sleeping on the sofa at the stalls rather than all of us going out to the trailer park and LQ.

I have not read all of the above so forgive me if this has been mentioned......... At our Kentucky State Fair when someone leaves the fairgrounds with a trailer that vehicle is stopped. The driver has to show the person that is checking a piece of paper that was signed by the show chairperson. On that piece of paper is the number of horses that are on the trailer........ NO signed paper - no exit............................... Wanted to add that I think the show person keeps a copy also.. If the trailer were leaving empty then futhrer investigating needs to be done. Perhaps the trailer owners license plate number can be put on the paper that was signed also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amy said:
Bruce Abbott said he had taken a load of stuff out to his trailer on Sat morning & went back in for another laod & it was gone when he returned. They sure are bold.
470562[/snapback]

OMG - Did Bruce have just his stuff stolen or was his one of the trailers?

Trailer along with his stuff wasn't it?

Jan, that's awful that his flat bed was stolen too! He looked like such a nice man and I liked his carts/wagons.

Boy, all the thefts
no.gif

A couple things come to mind right off hand-

That horse show brings a lot of revenue to the area. Have the registry put pressure on the city, or whomever about security. If no solutions are found, no dollars will be brought to that city again. Money talks.

If people are bringing dogs, tell the registry so outside people won't know. Have all dogs going to the show micro chipped with the number and a reader at entry and exit points. Allow absolutely no pets on the grounds with the general public. If a vehicle leaves with a dog, the chip number had better match. Yes, some dogs can be hidden but if this practice is not public it will work better. I know the registry doesn't need this extra work so perhaps someone could volunteer.

Buy fake (or real) security cameras and have them placed in your stall/tack areas or on your trailers,etc. with a number of surveilance warning signs. The cameras look just like the real thing. Someone might think twice.

Maybe for trailers require everyone to have a bicycle chain lock or some such device attached/locked to their trailer, just hanging there like a decoration. The owner keeps one key, an entry/exit guard keeps the other key in a secure place like a file cabinet or whatever. In order for that trailer to leave the guard has to be able to unlock the chain, with proper ID from owner. This is just a general idea which can be improved upon I'm sure but you get the idea. Brain storming is a start.

I am so sorry to hear about the theft problems. I know the victims must be sick.

Last edited by a moderator:
We showed at Del Mar a few years back. You had to have a parking ticket to get anywhere near the trailers. Everyone that had horses there, which includes anybody that is along with you, wore a wrist band like the ones you get at the hospital. They were orange so were easily seen. If you weren't wearing a band and you had a horse security was right there asking about it.

I felt very safe leaving my trailer and the horses at the grounds.
yes.gif

Robin

My dad takes the spare tire and a trailer tire off our horse trailer and puts in on a jack on the one side. So this is great method to deter theft of a trailer. We take the tires with us.

aktion033.gif
Great!! Lots of ideas and comments!! Let me address some of them from what I know about dealing with the EXPO.

First, this show site is a good site
yes.gif
and getting better each year.
smile.gif
Although their 10 year improvement plan is running behind, it will be able to accommodate us for a long time, I am sure.
aktion033.gif

They were supposed to have the north race barns torn down and replaced by the time our "R" National started (2005) but they started making Barn D instead and it was supposed to be finished for us to use, but as anyone that was there could see, probably a couple of weeks from being completed.
sad.gif
They were also supposed to have a five story parking structure up (1 of 3) for the fair that they were getting ready for (some may have noticed the carnival people arriving), but that hasn't even been started as the building where it is supposed to go is still standing. Not that we would park our trailers in or on it, but it will change the face of the grounds when all three parking structures are completed. Prices have been driven up on everything since 911, so I imagine some of the rising expense is the reason for the lag in time for their improvement plan.
sad.gif

The EXPO grounds are in the county and not the city. That is why the dog show cluster had to hire Sheriff instead of Police to patrol the grounds for the dog shows. So I am not sure pressuring the city with the revenue we bring in would make a real impact, although one year we did submit what we thought our dog shows (5 days) brought into the area revenue wise. I don't remember why we did it at this time.

The persons running events at the EXPO make it very clear that they charge for every extra service. The contract also has a disclaimer clause and they are not responsible for any of the things that happen as in this circumstance. So it would be something that AMHR would have to pay for and arrange in the contract.

Putting fence panels up around the parking lot where the majority of the horse trailers are parked would be a good idea ( I have no idea on price though). But there would have to be persons at the entrance/exit gate 24/7 (again, no idea of cost). Some kind of two-part ticket (this would be minimal cost as it could and should be home office made on card stock or ??... maybe a different color and change format each year also) thing would be a good way to claim your trailer or buy showing your trailer registration and vin. And if you don't want to park inside the controlled area, it would be your fault if something happened to your trailer. I understand that in Oklahoma trailers don't have to be registered (I don't know that for sure) and that could be one reason they are stolen, plates taken off and who knows what happens from there. Is anyone a member of the Arabian Association that has their shows at the EXPO? I understand they have this two-part ticket method of trailer parking and claiming trailer. It would be good to know how they work this out. The Arabian Association is supposed to be holding their world show sometime in the future.

I think it would be a toss up as to which is more valuable in some cases... horses or trailers. I think the wave of the future will be microchipping all of our livestock as well as show dogs, cats, birds, etc. A lot of people already do this and there is a Universal scanner available for a bit more than the cost of an individual product scanner. But that wouldn't keep anyone from stealing a horse for whatever the reason. Purebred dogs have been disappearing for years and years. Since this part of the country has more commercial kennels than any other part of the country... unscrupulous breeders have kept "extra registration" or "extra puppy registration" papers on hand and just say... this is that animal. AKC has run off quite a few commercial breeders (which in turn have started probably a dozen different registries) since they enacted their frequently used sire DNA testing. It is a good idea and cost is minimal. It has opened up a lot of different breeding options for dog people too. Like letting more than one sire father a litter of puppies and then having them all DNA'd to see whom is whose pup. This is used on older bitches that are valuable in their breeding program but up there in age and breedability. There could be lots of reasons for stealing our little horses. Someone might just want a pet and could care less about papers. Someone might have a market for a certain color and size for pony ride vendors... you know... the kind that go in circles and it isn't a horse walker. Who knows the motive??? Were any of the horses stolen top competitors, pregnant or ??? People have strange motives sometimes. We also have to give these little horses some credit. Some of them know exactly how to open those stall doors with a push-up and open with their lip/nose and out they go. But it does seem in those circumstances that someone would report a found miniature horse or "pony" as the ordinary person would say. If you don't chain/lock your stall, then at least wrap your halter and buckle it around the door/stall joint. At least the little guys won't be letting themselves out that way.

I think cameras on top of every single building (probably new buildings for sure) would be a great answer. Look at Wal Mart... three cameras on the top of each end of the building pointed to see what goes on in the parking lot. Think of how many times the national news has had on parking lot incidences that helped them solve crimes. There are cameras pretty much everywhere you go now days... just look up at a stop light in any sizeable city. Smile
rolleyes.gif
too! Traffic tickets are given out this way now days. But this is an expense maybe the EXPO isn't ready to take on. Wouldn't hurt to ask I guess.

So the flat bed belonged to ITE BITTE BUGGIES? He is a very nice man
yes.gif
and will work with you to give you exactly what you want in your buggy. We had him make ours last year after I had seen one of his buggies in black/red on LB Sale Board and then in person at the 2004 National. He even delivered it most of the way back in December/January (I forget) because he had business down this way.

I would like to see a picture of the hole that was drilled in the piece that closes the collar. We already have a collar lock, but every extra effort would just make it harder.

Last year there were over 50 spare tires stolen off trailers, but I do not know that it was at our National, just that it happened at the fairgrounds (EXPO).

I don't make fun of anyone locking their tack stall... I lock mine also. I just feel that is my private area.

We don't want to get so restrictive that it drives entrants away, but we need to feel safe in our surroundings also.

Since this is not a dog show, I would hate to see so many restrictions put on people bringing their watch dogs or pets. This would take an inordinate amount of time that would be better spent on the show for horses and security of our trailers. I just think people need to take precautions and care and put the puppies/dogs away when no one is in attendance of their stall area. A lot of us do tend to become complacent in our surroundings with friends and family at the shows. But it isn't friends and family that are betraying our trust I am sure.
wub.gif

I hope I have not touched off a tabu subject. I am known to be outspoken at times and it has gotten me into hot water more than once. But I like hot bathes anyway.
biggrin.gif

Nancy Warner

The grey gelding missing on Wednesday from barn A was one of Ed Mc Carthys horses. He got out of his stall but was found two rows over. Not stolen just loose and wandering.

Heidi

I agree with Cathy Hand about the trailers being checked at the gate. I also work the thorughbred sales at Keeneland, and no trailer goes out of that place without the guards at the gates checking the paperwork! They must have a signed release from the office saying they are clear of all bills owed, plus if there are any horses on the trailer, a bill of sale, and clearance from the office has to be shown. That will stop a lot of theft. They simply need to put a guard at each gate, each vehicle going out with any kind of tack, trailer, etc., attached, will have to show they are the owners of such equipment. In the case of horses, they have to show a sheet of paper from the office with all the horses you brought in listed, and that all those horses are going out with you. May sound complicated, but it really isn't, and best of all, it works. At the sales barns at Keeneland, the people picking up the horses that have been sold, have to show the barn foreman a copy of the bill of sale from the office. This stops a lot of attempted thefts at the very beginning. It may take a year or two to perfect, but it is needed at the horse shows and sales all around the country. About two years ago, at a mini horse sale in Ky., someone just picked out two horses after the sale, and walked out with them. Fortunately, someone that knew those horses, stopped or had stopped those people after they loaded them onto a trailer and knew for sure their intentions were not honorable!

Latest posts

Back