saying good bye to my first horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linda_H

Reaction score
I had to make the decision today to put down my 1st horse. Shyanne is 26 yr old, has Cushings is lame now & I found 2-3 abdominal masses. I know it has to be done but for some reason this is much harder than when I had to put down a dog

I have had her for 20 years & she has brought much pleasure to people of all ages She was the official "pony ride" horse for company coming to the farm she taught many to ride & she gave both mnyself & my son hours of pleasure on the trails Now that the call has been made I wish it were over The trick is I have to go to my grandson's b day party afterward & act semi normal

2006 has not been a kind year for us and for many others let's hope this grey cloud goes & stays away!

Awww that sounds hard for you. I couldnt imagine your pain. I hope things turn around for you and you get a big happy surprise. It sounds like you did the right thing even though its hard.
default_wub.png
:

Huuuggggsss

That is a big decision. Sorry to hear. Love the name Shyanne . Will be thinking of you
default_wub.png
:

Im very sorry for your loss. Our family went through this a couple of years ago with a horse that had taught most of my family how to ride. even tho I knew it was the right thing to do it was still very hard. our vet was very good about it and handled everything for us. Hug your grandkids a little tighter . DR.

Linda -

I lost my horse Misty to Cushings last year, July 29. It is a horrible disease, and though I know how hard it is, you were able to help her over to the other side, where she can now run free of pain.

I co-moderate the Yahoo Cushings/IR website and if you need support, let me know. We have a lot of people who know how hard this is.

Remember: the grey clouds will go away with time, but Shyanne will remain forever in your heart.

Best,

Liz R.

I am SO sorry, Linda........ I can only imagine. My girl, "Mee Too" is my rock. I think I'd be a basket-case.

I hope you could be with her ........She understands......

Blessings,

MA

:no: Dear Linda:

You have my heartfelt sympathy.

As much your brain says it's "the right, humane thing to do", your heart just breaks.

It takes a strong, loving person to help your beloved Shyann pass over the rainbow bridge. Please take comfort in knowing she's watching down on you while running and grazing in the greenest of pastures!

In the past few years, I've had to make "the decision" on three occasions. Each horse/donkey died with their head in my lap, making sure their last breath contained my scent. I'm honored to be "there" for them at a delicate time.

May the joy of little children be the beginning of your healing process.

God bless,

Cindy

[SIZE=14pt]Oh Linda, so sorry to hear about Shyanne.... I hope you can find peace in that she is not going to suffer anything anymore. I have had to put down two mares this year, both under 6 years old for hard reasons . It has been hard dto say goodbye.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I have had to that too. Just remember the joy between you and your horse and know that you have done the responsible humane thing for your friend.

I'm so sorry Linda!
default_crybaby.gif
:

20 years together! What a great, full life she had with you! What a lucky horse she has been! Sounds like you were lucky to be owned by her too.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

I'm so sorry Linda!
default_crybaby.gif
:

20 years together! What a great, full life she had with you! What a lucky horse she has been! Sounds like you were lucky to be owned by her too.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

I'm so sorry Linda!
default_crybaby.gif
:

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Well, it is done, Shyanne was buried in the corner of the paddock where she loved to graze with her pony and mini friends, pretending she was their mom

The man who made her grave is a long time friend and although I do not see him much he was a typical animal person Did it with compassion, treated her like she was his own and told me to go in the house that he would assist the vet That was such a nice thing to do I so dreaded seeing the last part

I am actually writitng an article for the local paper on how animals people rally together I have seen so many examplkes of it this past year Thanks for all your kind words I think I will just chill out in the AC today & think of nice memories

I am sorry for your loss! You did the best you could do for her. She was lucky to have spent her life with you.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's always so hard to make that decision. My gelding is approx 33 now and still going strong. He also was the "packer" horse that all the novices rode. He packed my butt up and down hills for years. He's retired now but I know it's only a matter of time before I have to make that decision. My heart goes out to you.

Back