Saw a horse that made me sad

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a similar experience this fall....but with a mini. The craigslist ad that I happened across sounded bad in this situation I had. I couldn't resist and checked it out. Glad I did. A 22 year old mini horribly long feet, one eye missing from a kick injury (in with four large horses fighting over hay), no shelter, water source was 5 gallon buckets, all kept in a 1/4 acre paddock area that I am certain had never been cleaned of manure. I could tell by the way she ate she was having problems with her teeth. I was up to my capacity for minis. The humane society said no dice. She wasn't thin enough for them to take action...they could only tell her to get the feet trimmed and check back in a week or so. You could tell they were as saddened as I was, but their hands were tied until she got worse. Last but not least the rescues were full up. I couldn't sleep thinking about her.I turned to Craigslist and took out an ad looking for someone willing to do a cooperative effort for rescuing a mini. My email box exploded! The next week I spent feverishly tracking down references and getting commitments. By weeks' end I had a home willing to foster/adopt and some very kind folks willing to chip in some cash toward initial vet care..checks made out and sent directly to the vet. We sprung her for $25 in the end and loaded her up last minute in my friend's minivan. That was one smelly ride home. After two very lengthy visits from the vet to float her teeth, a couple good trims and many baths she is safe, sound and happy with two Pygmy goat friends in her own mini barn at her adoptive home...and i can sleep at night. I won't say this was without risk and effort, but I was simply amazed at the number of people who were willing to step forward and get directly involved in a rescue. Of course the biggest issue is selecting a person to foster adopt that looks like a keeper and this means lots of leg work and having a good sense for the possible medical needs. I thought this was a fluke because she was a mini which people generally view as less expensive to keep, but last month a friend and I pulled a repeat of this on an 8 year old grade gelding that was certainly not without his flaws! This was a neglected horse not for sale, but we approached the owner with the story that he looked just like my old show horse. We sprung him for $100. He is now successfully placed with a retired woman who was looking for a good pasture buddy for her gelding that was lonely. And he is as spoiled as you could possibly get. Now we are exhausted but finished! I think the humane societies have more than they have the money for now, people are suffering from the economy, many are stressed and thinking less about the animals, and then combine this with the subhumans that have no souls and you get an overwhelming mix of horses in need. I for one can't wait until the winter is over.In the end I don't think it matters HOW you do it, just that you get involved. Neglected horses are hard to ignore when there's someone standing behind them and shouting.

If you know there is neglect going on report it before it gets worse and don't stop until you know the animals are safe.

We had a guy around my area. Who was reported several different times but had the money to get out of trouble. It took the local news, several sheriffs who refused to be payed off and a lot of neighors to finally get him. He had several farms 39 dead horse's found frozen to the ground. 100 or 200 houndred other horses almost all of them severly under feed. Several houndred cattle in poor conditons and not being feed.

They found 20 mini horse stuffed in a 20 foot trailer. He was trying to hide from animal control.

http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/17407/WV/US/

http://www.register-herald.com/todaysfrontpage/x1397429979/Number-of-horses-at-risk-unclear

Once you see it, it's VERY hard not to constantly be thinking about it. I was literally losing sleep over him.

I have seen several ads on Craigslist for horses (mainly big horses) that people are begging someone to take because they cannot feed them.

I wish I could do more, and it sounds like your idea, TinaJeff is great!!

Latest posts

Back