Saw a horse that made me sad

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StacyRz

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I am putting this in the right section or not, but it's really been bothering me for the last 2 days... sigh...

My husband and I were driving home and he had to pee really, really bad so we pulled off on to a dead end road with no houses around where we had seen a large ranch for sale when we were house-hunting.

Anyway, at one of the fences was a huge appaloosa (not sure if he was a stallion or gelding, but was definitely a male)

He was a really neat color, like a bright chestnut, he also had a lot of roaning along his body with the white spots on his rump. I apologize if this offends anyone, but he was by no means handsome. He had a great big head and ears, and kind of resembled a mule.... But he had very kind eyes. You know the eyes that just look right into your heart? Well,

I jumped out of the car and walked to the fence to say hello. I kept my hands to myself as I don't believe in touching horses that are not mine without permission.

This guy was in a large pasture FULL of dead/fallen trees and huge piles of brush ...and he had a halter on. I could see just above the noseband where he had a big sore. It was all raw. I can't imagine what it looked like under the halter.

If that weren't bad enough, he had some kind of sucking flies all along the side of his mane and neck. They looked to be imbedded in his skin they were in his coat so deeply. I don't think there was an inch along his whole neck that wasn't covered in those nasty flies. He didn't look overly thin to me, but he was just so neglected it broke my heart.

There were houses on the main road, but I have no idea who he belonged to. I know nothing about him. He seemed gentle at least while I was on my side of the fence. I wanted to take him home. I can't afford to buy or feed another horse, especially one as big as him. He must have been 16 hands, or darn close. I wouldn't even know how to go about finding out who owns him to see if they'd even consider maybe selling him to me.

When I say I have no money to feed another horse, that means if I really cut costs of other things, like internet, I could probably swing it. In honestly though, I probably couldn't afford whatever the asking price for him would be. I bet if I found the owner they'd sell him. I hate assuming, but I'm going to anyway and assume they must not love him a whole bunch to leave him in unsafe conditions, haltered, while bugs suck the life out of him and sores form where the halter has been on too long. Or maybe the owner hasn't been well. I just don't know

I'm just really sad, and more venting than anything. Thanks for listening

edit to add...his feet were in horrid shape, overgrown, chipped and cracked too

Last edited by a moderator:
UGH i hate that its one reason ive taken on S many rescues thru the years my last was a "suposed20 year old POA gelding" nothing wrong just a hard keeper.....

He ended up being an Over 30 + year old gelding LICE infested hadent had his hooves done in over a year had NO teeth and he ended up having EPM and cushings.....After 3 weeks the EPM got so bad the vets sugested we just euth him he had too much wrong with him... Poor old man

I cant stand cases like these they pull at my hear strings so bad

Always sad to see, and too much of that going on these days. I see you are in Texas, what area was he in?

Jan

What about calling the humane society and having them check him out.

Hawk Eye, That is so sad
default_sad.png
I have rescued dogs for years and it can be so rewarding but some days I'd get really down about it with the broken ones who couldn't be fixed. God bless you for helping all those horses.

Jan,

I saw a horse some months back, before I got my minis, that was a complete rack of bones. Usually he or she was in the back pasture with a donkey, this day he was up in the front. I'm not exaggerating even a little bit. This horse looked like it was on death's door... My husband wouldn't stop at the house for me to ask if I could buy him. I begged him, cried, yelled at him, sulked, gave the silent treatment..he would not give in that time. We have been by the house a few times and I haven't seen it up close again to see if it's better. If I drove, which I don't at least not that far, I would have gone over hubby's head and taken him.

This appy, he's about 15 minutes down the road from where we are staying with my mother in law, half way between Elmendorf and Floresville. We are moving out closer to Austin this coming week, so I won't even be able to check on him, especially since I don't drive.

Hi Beth,

The only reason I haven't is because there is that small part of me wondering if maybe there's a small chance that they may have just rescued him.. (When I rescued dogs I always took them immediately to my regular vet so I would have documentation in case a passerby saw them outside called animal control on me. My vet always said the same thing "another rescue Stacy?!" I just hate seeing an animal or a child in need!)

I'd feel bad calling on someone trying to help and thought, well maybe they couldn't catch him yet to take the halter off or care for him properly.

Anyway...that's why I was thinking how much I'd like to go back in a few weeks and see if there is any improvement in the appy boy.

even if hes just been "rescued " they arent do a very good job of it , he needs help , if you leave it a few weeks thats a lot more suffering , make the phone call ,....

I agree, make the call. you can rest easy and he gets taken care of, even if they just rescued him then the SPCA will leave it alone. making the call is good either way, nobody gets hurt.

I will do it tomorrow. I guess I kinda was posting to see if someone told me I should call. It's been preying on my mind something fierce. The road doesn't have a sign on it with the name, but they should be able to find i easily if I give them directions. I wish I had taken pictures with my camera phone.

its ok to call. They will just go check out the situation first. If he was just rescued they will understand. but if not they can help him.

default_saludando.gif
makes me mad when you see an animal like that..can you ring someone like the animal welfare

and tell them.....if people cant look after a animal dont have them
closedeyes.gif
closedeyes.gif

If they just rescued him, his feet would at least be trimmed. I'm betting not.

I'm going to make the call Lucky... It's bothering me so much, still

Disney, I'm betting not as well. I guess I just like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I wanted so badly to take his halter off, but didn't have the guts to try.
default_no.gif
There were so many fallen trees it made my stomach hurt imagining him getting caught up.

If the halter has been on his head long enough to cause a mark he has not just been rescued and he has not been rescued at all!!

Sounds as if he has really bad lice, possibly ticks, and he needs treatment, an infestation as bad as that could eventually kill him, if catching the halter on a tree branch does not do it first.

I always say go by what your gut says.. you are not wrong in just getting someone else to investigate the situation and I agree with rabbitsfizz, that halter is not such a good ideal being left on.

Good Luck I think now you have to act on this one.

I agree with the rest- make the call! Sounds like just utter neglect to me!

It doesn't hurt to call them, but I have to say I have not had success doing that. There's a bad situation in my area, but as long as there's food and water, they won't do anything. Hopefully the one in your area is better that ours.

He sounds like a sweet soul... hope he's okay...

Liz N.

I volunteer with a local horse rescue. You have to at least make the call to the local authorities. It may do no good, or it may take a long time and a lot of reports by various individuals, but you have to start somewhere. If the authorities aren't aware of the situation then for sure nothing will be done. At least this way you will be doing what you should.

Good for you! You did the right thing by making the effort!

Latest posts

Back