Safe way to be rid of weeds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanch

Reaction score
To save you all a long story, I have had to start using a new arena a few weeks ago and I bush morrowered it and got a friend to rake it, so its mostly even, except for some of the large weeds and grass still left. These left overs are causing some uneveness and I would like to get rid of them.

So, Im wondering if you guys have any suggestions or know of any safe products I could use to kill the vegitation? I could proably leave it unused for 5 days or so, but would like to find something that wouldn't cause me to stop driving. I'm sure with regular use I can kill some of it, but that will take a while with only 2 driving horses.

Any tips or suggestions would be great, I have no clue!

Can you dig them out? You might also try spraying with straight vinegar it will kill alot of weeds and grass. You must try it then you will have a nice pickled arena to drive in also.

I know alot of people don't agree with the safety of using Roundup, but I have always used it here with no problems. I just make sure to keep the horses off of it for 2-3 days. And you wouldn't have to really worry about that if you are just using the area for driving and the horses are not grazing there.

we have used a pellet called Pramitol to make a dry lot.It is activated by water so rain or a hose will work.Nothing will grow back for several years.It also comes in a liquid.We do not let grazing horse on it for several weeks, but driving should be ok.If you have a county agent check with them

Vinegar is safe and very effective on most weeds. Even if you're not opposed to using herbicides, it's wise to use this as your first round of defense.

Keep in mind that the chemical companies primarily value the dollar sign. The death of a beloved pet would devastate you or me...to Dow Chemical, it would be merely a fraction of a percentage point that is well within their margin of error.

Normal vinegar is 5% and this may kill SOME weeds, but many require a stronger type. You may have to find a 15% or higher to kill the weeds out. I hear it does work well, and doesnt harm anything else. I may try it at my place.... I have plenty to try it on this spring with all the rain we've had!

My husband is in the agriculture chemical business for a major worldwide company. No company needs any bad P.R., so yes, your beloved pet is important to them. My husband's company also makes products (drugs) for use on pets and horses with issues that are not treatable any other way, and you might have even used them on your horses. We have beloved pets, too. The trick is that you have to READ THE LABEL. If the product has a re-entry period, it is best to heed it.

That being said, you can use what is commonly called 2-4-D to kill weeds but leave the grasses. If you want to kill everything, Glyphosate (generic form of Roundup) is a contact herbicide that will kill all plants. It will only kill what is above ground. You may have to use it more than once if you want to keep it weed free. Go to your local farm store/co-op for the best price. You can buy this stuff from home stores, but you will pay more. It is cheaper in larger quantities. And yes, check with the local agronomist or University Extension Agriculture Agent for other options.

Otherwise, dragging the arena will also keep it weed free.

Myrna (who risks losing friends by saying that she is really sick of chemical companies getting a bad rap. They are not the people-eating money-hungry giants that is the popular opinion nowadays. They are trying to help people live better lives, too.)

Myrna, I didn't intend to bash your husband's livelihood, and you certainly won't lose this friend over this issue.

I realize that there are cases where the weed itself is extremely toxic and one must do whatever is possible to get rid of it.

While I do not believe in the "better living through chemicals" approach, I'm not a purist, either. I simply believe in taking the organic approach first and only calling in the heavy artillery when absolutely necessary.

I may be paranoid about the chemical companies, but DDT and other supposedly safe products that have been proven otherwise make me that way. (What was the herbicide just recently that was safe for grazing, yet remained active in the manure and killed off the crops of many who thought they were farming organically?)

A word of warning: Stronger concentrations of vinegar need careful handling. The highest concentrations sold (not generally available to the public) are considered hazardous materials and call for goggles and protective clothing. Vinegar at its highest concentrations can destroy the soil and prevent ANYTHING from growing for some time.

BTW, I've had excellent results with plain old table vinegar, especially on thistles.

Whatever you use, read about it before making a decision and then use it properly.

Susanne turned me on to Vinegar here. It has worked great for me except for those dang over growing property stealing, obnoxious, but yummy tasting black berries.

Love those pickled thistles though. A little on the thistles and little on the salad. Great stuff, also apple cider vinegar is great for heart burn when added to a glass of water. Not sure why but it works.

The Vinegar you buy at Costco works very well.

If I have some tough weeds.. I will use really Warm Vinegar in a gallon sprayer with a 1/2 cup salt, well mixed. Sprayed on a sunny day will get rid of weeds/grass in the path ways or Arena's if you have one.

Me, I have to stay away from man made Chemicals as I am allergic to most.

Marie.. Black Berries are a pain but if you can machete them down to the ground and keep mowing them after,, they will go away. That is what DH has been doing since we moved here and it works. VBG

Either that or use Goats or Highland cattle.

Last edited by a moderator:
AUGH!!! Blackberries are my favorite!! I'll take them!! I am allergic to a lot of things too so I think I will try the vinegar thing and see if it works on the hardy weeds here. We have one that I dont know if ANYTHING will kill it, short of napalm!!

Latest posts

Back