Saddle purchase questions---pics of "the ONE!" on pg 4

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, this saddle has the hand hold. Also, western girths have the buckles, this saddle needs a girth w/o. I used this saddle on a 33" round mare, and a 36" more slender mare, it is adaptable because there is no tree.

What an adorable baby!!

I use it regularly on a 36" mare, also had it on a 12 hand pony, I haven't tried it yet, but also plan to use it on my 32" gelding, he is not as wide as my B size mare, but this saddle should fit him great too. If I get a chance I will put it on the two of them and take some photos. It's not big or bulky, but you do have to make sure the girth is tight or it can slip when the weight of a child is added, I always double check it with the heavier kids, the smaller kids is doesn't seem to change as much.

These are the same Cub saddles I was telling you about- I felt sure they must be available in the US......

I have to say I am not a huge fan of these tiny little western saddles- I think a small child could be injured by the horn. I had one a long time ago that I was able to take the horn off- just used a hot wire and went through it like cheese then filed it smooth, not as aesthetically pretty but I do think it was a lot safer. It did a good job of holding the child firmly in place otherwise.

I have to say I am not a huge fan of these tiny little western saddles- I think a small child could be injured by the horn. I had one a long time ago that I was able to take the horn off- just used a hot wire and went through it like cheese then filed it smooth, not as aesthetically pretty but I do think it was a lot safer. It did a good job of holding the child firmly in place otherwise.
I never thought of that--thanks, Jane!

Michael started showing leadline at 18 months and Dan at 2 1/2 years. Soon as they could understand "sit up" and how to hold the reins is when we began. I started working with Glory my almost 34' for my grandbaby Lexis Claire this summer. I had to borrow a nasty old saddle for now because I stupidly sold all my tack never thinking I'd be a grandmother someday. It was all quality tack both english and western saddles and bridles and I can't believe I did that.. Not a fan at all of those synthetic saddles but that is what I am borrowing and honestly I hate them. Would not buy one, would not own one.

I use everything for weights and general experience I can get my hands on. I'll throw all kinds of stuff on their back and tie it up, everything from a pile of blankets to a lawn chair, umbrella, and a feed bag loaded with my empty pepsi cans or shovels of sand and lunge at every gait. One thing I do is to lower the stirrups as long as they can go and get them used to banging around on the horse, then change heights on them untli the horse is used to all kinds of feels coming from there. Keep in mind little kids are not going to be still in the saddle and basically climbing, moving about, jumping up and down doing "go horsey" probably yelling, laughing, screaming or crying who knows.... and leaning every which way shifitng in the saddle so no surprises to the pony, cover your bases, throw all kinds of stuff not only on the saddle but flop some things on her neck and on her butt and let things bang and clang on her until nothing rocks her world. Pack her up good. I would also train to bridle at the same time. I do not want any chance of the pony head tossing and potentially throwing that head about. Even if you are just leading, its a good idea to break them to bridle for future use and get it all done at once. Then when she's old enough you can stick her out on the ehd of a lunge line or in a round pen and learn. For now we are just carrying a little egg butt snaffle and lucky me, Glory has a natural head set which seems to stay nicely put. Good luck with all this and have fun with it. Aint' being a grandmother the best thing ever?

1380843_581978545172444_918820764_n.jpg

Great advice Marty, when I was young that is how I started my first saddle horse. By the time I actually mounted him he was so used to carrying a variety of much more frightening objects than me that he never batted an eye. It was the best 'bomb proofing' method I could come up with and worked really well. I have a 34" gelding I want to train for saddle/leadline but I have no little ones to put on him. Thanks for the reminder that I can do everything short of putting a child up and he will be ready when the time comes.
default_smile.png

Just want to add, your granddaughter is adorable!

Ooo--thanks for the great training tips, Marty. Chloe is my bomb proof girl--but we can sure increase that. She's had a surcingle on and my coat--and she never cares. I can't wait to start in the spring. Just need to find the perfect saddle. The ones everyone has been pointing me to are 12" and I'm wondering if that's too big.

Marty--your grandgirl is a cutie pie!!

Thanks, Reignmaker!

If its a western saddle, yes 12" it is too big. A 13" is already a youth size saddle. It will also not fit the horse and will be too big especially if it is skirted will get him right in the flank. You'll need those sizes eventually but that's when you will also need to get her a larger mount too.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its a western saddle, yes 12" it is too big. A 13" is already a youth size saddle. It will also not fit the horse and will be too big especially if it is skirted will get him right in the flank. You'll need those sizes eventually but that's when you will also need to get her a larger mount too.
The trouble is, Marty--I can't find the one that's highly recommended in any smaller size than 12". I haven't ordered one, yet.

Order a pony saddle! Worked for me for over forty years.

You have to remember there is a difference in the way English is measured and western.

I do like the ones with the handles for the child's security reasons but they weren't invented back in the day. If you want western, just order a pony saddle. They can hold on the horn if they get nervous.

I wish I had a better picture to show you but Dan's saddle behind him is a pony saddle. You always will need to keep adjusting the leg length and here they were up as far as they could go for him. And we always replaced the stirrups with leather bell stirrups. Michael's saddle to the right in this pic was a 13" youth saddle. He was already grew out of the pony and went into a quarter horse here but still needed the pony size for his butt----- but the stirrups wouldn't go down long enough for his legs anymore, thus the youth saddle came into play. Growing kids, always something to adjust. Iif its not the horse its the tack.

brpic5.jpg

I used two different saddles for my minis. One was leather 12" with a round skirt so it didn't hit the flank and the other was a cordura 10" that was very narrow but needed to fit my skinny show mini at the time. She's since filled out and the saddle doesn't fit well anymore. But both of them the stirrups were too long even adjusted to the top so just removed those stirrups and used "buddy" stirrups (it's a leather strap that fits around the horn and the stirrups attach to the ends of the leather pieces. Both grandchildren used them until their legs got longer.

2007-06-30 Horse show, last day of school 029.jpg

2007-06-30 Horse show, last day of school 030.jpg

Have you looked on ebay? What about National Bridle Shop? They have a mini secyion with 8" mini saddles in both English and western. The 8" seats are designed for minis and 12" for shetlands. Here is a pic of the 8" dark oil mini saddle w/ silver that I bought from National Bridle. They fit my minis perfectly.20130914_140353.jpg

Thank you!! I'm still investigating--searching--and checking out everything someone adds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally made a decision! Here it is! I decided since I wasn't showing--just playing around home--a synthetic one would do. And since I was always a Western rider, I had to go for the Western saddle. It's 13 lbs--(ad said 11) so I figure Jessie can ride Chloe until she's about 40 lbs. (She's 14.5 now--at almost 7 months. lol) Chloe is a sturdy girl, I'll have to figure out her weight more accurately, but I'm guessing 300ish.

Training started last night with the introduction to the saddle pad. Chloe loved it. The other horses ran. :)

Next purchase will be a helmet, but a parents' hands will be holding Jessie tightly this summer.

IMG_4096.JPG

IMG_4099.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

Latest posts

Back