Saddle purchase questions---pics of "the ONE!" on pg 4

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnbum

Reaction score
I'm a grandma now to the most beautiful, most awesome girl ever.
default_firstprize.gif
She's 5 months old.

Anyway--I will be training Chloe and Gypsy to be lead-line mares for Jessie and other future grandchildren.

I assumed a saddle was the best way to go, but one whom I trust suggested using a bareback pad to avoid pinching. I've searched for those and found a nice one with a solid hand hold.

Another whom I trust strongly suggested going with the saddle to avoid slippage.

Before I invest, I wanted to gather all of your opinions--especially from those who have little riders. This will only be a lead line situation--no bridle involved.

Thanks for any direction you can supply!

Last edited by a moderator:
ditto, saddle fitted properly or bareback in my opinion. I am no fan of bareback pads especially those that have stirrups. I learned to ride many years ago bareback. When I had a proper seat and balance I got to have a saddle.

There are saddles available with hand holds for kids. I used one for my granddaughter, it was the English type saddle. Be sure and use quick release stirrups. I would not risk my sweetie in a bareback pad. Be sure you get her a helmet when the time comes! You are going to have fun, I know!

As long as you are training your horse for the saddle you could go ahead and train for the bridle as well. If you are going into the show ring leadline class in the future, you will need the bridle.

Bareback pads are dangerous and I have seen many falls result from their use. I recommend using a western saddle with a horn and high cantle to the child can grip on tight. I also remember my trainer using a stirrup leather or a regular leather belt as a neck strap for us to hold on to in lieu of reins as small children. National Bridle shop sells well made mini saddles at fair prices. I bought both an English and western one there. If the tack fits properly, the child will be more secure, and thus feel safer and the horse will stay calmer.

I whole heartedly second the helmet! I have no grand children (altho I have a couple I call my grandkids they don't want to be near the horses - yet) so no riders, but around here we drive and for us its "every drive, every time" no matter what if you step into a cart you will be wearing a properly adjusted and fastened helmet.

I also agree with the saddle rather than the bareback pad. I did have a bareback pad as a youngster but it was strictly used to keep my butt clean/dry when the horse was wet or muddy. By then I could ride bareback very well and did not need to rely on it for balance or grip. saddles are more secure for beginners IMO.

I agree, a saddle; personally I think I'd go with an English saddle as you are more likely to find a decent one that will be small enough for minis. I prefer Western, but with the skirting and everything, even a small one can be way too big for a miniature. I don't know the quality, but I've seen some awfully cute ones on a well known auction site.

Oo--thanks for all the tips. We won't be showing, so no bridle needed. I actually do have headsets. I need to see if I can get a saddle that will fit both mares--their girths are 5" different. lol Great advice on the helmet--it's been awhile since there was riding going on here, so I needed that reminder. I know a parent will be holding the wee one for a long while as we start this adventure.

Okay--I'll check out some saddle sales this weekend!

I rode with a bareback pad with stirrups as a teen--my favorite way to ride. I didn't count on stirrups for balance--but sure loved keeping the seat of my pants clean.

When checking out saddles fyi the small saddles are often sized at 8" seat for minis and 12" seats for shetland ponies. That size reference will help you better guess the fit to the horse if not purchasing in person as pony saddles will slide right off the mini. With my minis and english saddles, the girths they sell are often too big. I use a small dressage girth as they tend to be shorter and fit minis better. Good luck and have fun.

Saddle, all the way. All of my mares leadline and I started all with the saddle. It will be most secure for your grandbaby, and it's the best way to start a horse. They learn to surrender to the weight and the girth, and that there is no point in bucking. They learn very early on. Minis are very sensible and are quick learners, generally.

I rode almost all my life in a sheepskin pad- only trouble I ever had was if the mare blew out and then fell around laughing if I forgot to check and tried to get on quickly!! I jumped a 5'3" "bullfinch" (the mare did not realise she was supposed to push through the hedge part!!!) on a hunter trial on this and it was great. I have no problem with well fitting pads but you would be hard put to find them in the US I think. Here we have a company that makes pads specifically for showing UKShets in and they are a little more like the treeless saddles than a straight pad saddle, but I just don't think you can beat this:

There is no tree but it is well padded underneath and the pads are movable (the wonders of velcro!) It will fit anything form a Mini to a 12hh show pony and it comes in a number of seat sizes.

41z6Pcp4bqL_SX342__zps6c61a2f4.jpg

I am going to try and add a photo here of my saddle, it worked well for my granddaughter, the seat was secure enough for her100_3079.jpg. She used it when she was 3, 4, 5 and 6 years old. She is still a small child and could probably still use it. I think it may be a copy of the one rabbitfizz showed above.

madmax--is there a place for the little one to hold on with the one you showed? Is there a girth strap to hold it in place? Where did you get it?

Jane--I need to find one in the US. lol I really like the one you showed.

Chloe and Gypsy are under 33", but Chloe is an easy keeper--and round. (I have to say she doesn't have a thick neck, or a crease down her back or a dimple at her tail head!) I want to train both. The difference in their girths is 5". Will I be able to use the same saddle for both--just maybe need two girth sizes? Should I consider an 8"--or 10" Jessie is a peanut now--and I suspect she will be as a young girl too. I should add a photo of her! But I have no idea how now....

Once the mare accepts the saddle fine--is there a step between that and adding a child? Is it wise to add weight--maybe sand in a bag or something similar--before a human?

When checking out saddles fyi the small saddles are often sized at 8" seat for minis and 12" seats for shetland ponies. That size reference will help you better guess the fit to the horse if not purchasing in person as pony saddles will slide right off the mini. With my minis and english saddles, the girths they sell are often too big. I use a small dressage girth as they tend to be shorter and fit minis better. Good luck and have fun.
Rereading--so 8" is definitely the size I would want for minis under 34"? There are some synthetic ones out there that look like fun. I am leaning Western because that's what I rode. lol

I use a Bambino leadline saddle that was recommended years ago to me by members here years ago. I like it because it is treeless and so fits my very wide Mini mare very well. If you search for leadline saddles there are Wintec and other brands. They have handles for little ones to told on if they want to. I think this type would also fit different body types easily. I have never tried the small western saddles, so can't comment.

To get my minis used to weight, I put my arm over their back and then lean on them, and then I can also move my hand/arm around, like a leg moving/kicking. I do it first without a saddle from either side a few times over days/weeks. I do this with them loose in the paddock, so they have the choice to move away. When they stand without moving away, I move on to the saddle and do the same thing with the saddle on. I think this also trains them to stand still and wait for command to go forward when they have weight in the saddle. They are more solid for the kids this way. My mare loves the kids and attention, she does really well!

Kim--what size did you get? I think this is the perfect solution!! I searched quickly and found a 15"... and am going back to look some more. It needs a pad too--correct?

I pulled mine out to measure it and it's actually a Thorowgood leadline saddle, mine is 13". You wouldn't have to use a pad, sometimes I use a towel folded in half, I use the pad more to keep the saddle clean than for padding. If you horse is not wide, I would use a thicker pad. I think the Bambino is very similar. I found mine on ebay, it was used, but still in good shape.

I wouldn't bother with stirrups until their legs get long enough to reach. My nieces are small, and one couldn't reach even with extra holes in the leathers until she was 5 years old. They got in the way, of course when they are so small we always have someone walking next to them, so it's easy to just grab them off if something goes wrong or they start to slide.

I also bought a pony dressage girth, it was the only kind I could get that was short enough, I think mine is 10 or 12" long. I bought my pony size pad & the girth for very reasonable price from www.horseloverz.com

Latest posts

Back