Saddle purchase questions---pics of "the ONE!" on pg 4

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're going to enjoy it. I need one for my grandbaby too so bad! Dear Santa......

Cute lil saddle and adorable lil girl! Keep us updated on how it all goes. Personally I am curious of what you think of the saddle after a few uses.

Well--I had a feeling the saddle was too big--and I think I'm right. It didn't exactly match the photo when I ordered--had fenders on stirrups--I took those off--but it felt heavy and weighs 2 lbs more than it was advertised for. I started checking other things and the skirt is 2" more on both length and width. However, the seat is 10". The horn is 2.5"--taller than in the ad. When I called for advice before ordering, the young man I talked to strongly encouraged me to go with the 10" rather than an 8". I tried it on Chloe last night and it just looks big. I'm going to get pictures this weekend--when I have some daylight. I called Chicks to ask about the differences and they are contacting the company that makes the saddles for an explanation. It's a darn cute saddle--but might not be the right one for my horses. There's no way I'd put this on Gypsy. I researched for a month--so I'm a little disappointed it's not perfect, but unless the saddle can be tried on a horse before buying--that's a long shot.

That is a pretty nice saddle and I'm sad that it isn't working out.

We used "pony saddles" - but they were older, well/hard used western style ones. One was a 10" and one was a 12". They were sized by the trees. The bars on the older saddles were made differently than they are now. Both fit the ponies nicely - even the tiny and somewhat narrow mini sized shetland. We had different western style girths made to fit several ponies - they varied by as much as 10" in length even though the ponies were only 2" different in height at that time (but western saddles can be adjusted on either side with the the girth straps, too). The first mare was 34.5" tall when our daughter started riding her. She matured at 37" at the withers, not sure what she measures as a mini. She's much rounder these days as well.

Most of the synthetic saddles today don't fit any of our shetlands or B sized minis - not in legth but in the width of the tree over the withers and back. Also, they all seem to be balanced wrong - when the girth is tightened - the rear of the saddle pops up in the back since the tree doesn't fit right on their backs. narrow or wide pony didn't seem to matter.

9e33.jpg

Same saddle, same pony, same child - different, homemade saddle pad that fit better - both at the withers of this little mare and also at her hips.

69f9.jpg
44da.jpg

And here is the 12" seat saddle on the above pony's dam with our other daughter riding 2 yrs previous... Patty, the pony, is actually 4 yrs old here... 'Dira won't be 4 until Oct. In 1996 - I didn't have the bridles and bits sized to fit Patty. I purchased them from a Mini Tack store via mail order and made my first tiny headstalls as well.

9ae1.jpg
2083.jpg

We also had two 13" youth western saddles. They were a larger base tree to begin with and then you add the larger square skirts and they only fit the much larger and broader shetland stallion (45 1/4" tall) as well as larger shetland x's and full size horses.

ba1a.jpg

two years ago, I was able to purchase that saddle back (the one at the very top) from the woman I'd sold it to years ago. It is now VERY old, and the leather is both oil logged and dry rotted. I have been taking leather working lessons and hope to take it apart in the next year and rework it myself for our granddaughters. If I do, we'll start with shorter fenders, then when the girls' grow I'd do another set - because if they are like their mom and both their aunts, their tiny bums will fit in the small seats much longer than the short stirrup lengths will last.

Incidentally, the stirrup fenders were way too long on all 3 of the saddles. We shortened them, didn't go small enough and then took them to a local leather worker and he was able to shorten them properly (when I took them out of the two smaller saddles myself, I couldn't work the straps back thru the tree and leather seat). Had to put new fenders on the saddle in the 96 pics - to make stirrups shorter.

and this is what Sierra looked like two weeks after the ponies arrived... She is 22 months old here and this is one of her fist rides. I don't know if they had helmets yet or not in that year - they did not have helmets in Montana where we were there, that would fit the children.

This is the 12" saddle and AJ is a 3 yr old 45 1/4" Shetland stallion. The girls grew up riding and driving him - all 3 taking lessons on him. They weren't able to show him, but Skye did ride him out on group trail rides. Everyone was amazed at this guys' great behavior (most of the mares were "raunchy").

c244.jpg

Patty matured at 37" at the withers. She was ridden in both saddles, by Sierra - 1st pic May or early June 1997 - 12" saddle, 2nd one - 10" seat - sept 97; 3rd one - May 98.

e3a6.jpg

eec0.jpg
3b59.jpg

and here is Patty with Madira riding in the 12" seat saddle 2.5 years after the 1996 pics - and again I have Patty's age listed wrong as she was born in May 92 making her 6 months older than 'Dira.

a371.jpg

and one more note - everyone addressed teaching the horse.

To teach the little one balance - have them sit on the horse. Everytime you have a chance. Get them up there. Our ponies stood tied to eat after we moved to NC. The girls would just sit on them - first with a saddle and then bareback. The girls' learned to move their bodies to balance with the ponies first while they were tied. The ponies learned to accept little bodies moving around. They would set buckets up (a mounting block would work) - get on from both sides and slide off from both sides. When ponies ok with that - both pony and kid learned to slide off over the butt. Sierra often napped on Patty's back while I fed the rest of the ponies - before she started kindergarten. Of course, start out with side walkers - however many needed. And if you can teach her to tumble - forward roll w/ arms tucked into the chest.... then teach it from the back of a horse. Also teach the grab the neck and swing forward/off as an emergency dismount as soon as the child's body can do that (hard to do in a western saddle) and a one rein stop...

Once they are actually riding - practicing bareback is the best way to learn balance. I DO believe in bareback pads w/o stirrups. A little more grip on the very slick coat of a shed out or body clipped mini. I never got around to making bareback pads and they didn't have them small enough when the girls' were riding. BUT if the granddaughters (Skye's daughters) get into riding - we'll get the mini sized ones.

4bef.jpg

61f4.jpg

6be7.jpg

I don't have any pics of Skye riding bareback until much older...

dfa5.jpg

Hmmm... that, too, "looks" like a really cute, nice saddle...

National Bridle Shop and State Line Tack were once part of the same company. Not sure if they still are or not. I've ordered from State Line in the past - you could call and ask those folks how long the saddle is from the very front, straight across under the seat piece to the farthest leather edge along the back of the skirt. The gullet (and therefore the horn) usually sits directly over the withers - with the front edge of leather a couple of inches in front . That way you can measure you particular mini's back - to see if it will fit ok in length. The seat on the saddles I grew up using were measured from the center of the pommel (right below the horn) to the front of the leather at the cantle. I no longer measure to the edge with the stitching on the cantle - my larger bum now needs accurate measuring which means I need to FIT between the pommel/horn and the front edge of the cantle (and some are very "stuffed"/padded).

Measuring the fit on the back (width) is tricky - w/o trying it on the horse. I know places (usually a custom builder) that would allow you to do a coat hanger shape of both the wither area of back and the loin area of the back - and you'd be able to tell what shape tree/saddle w/ leather would fit the beastie. Most online tack places either can't or won't do that... This saddle does appear better balanced than the last several synthetic saddles I've purchased.

Here is a "no-name" western style synthetic saddle I purchased that does not fit properly... By seat size, it should fit a mini (I did measure it as a 10"). At least a B size one. However - the two mares pictured here are both 43" at the withers. They are both several inches longer than the solid silver and the silver spot I had posted earlier (Patty and Stuffy). The silver spot is much wider than the bay spot. It does fit the bay spot a little better but not by much. The back chinch does not help since it's not tight enough to "pull down the saddle" or even to steady it. AND the huge "drape" in the rear chinch - could easily catch a foot had Koalah kicked/stomped forward (such as for a fly)... Ideally, it needs to be tightened up on both sides (we did put holes in both sides of the chinch straps before selling the saddle).

91009ve487.jpg 091009va845.jpg

091016ve.JPG 091027ve248.jpg

NOW - I DO like the Wintec synthetics in ALL their styles. Western (children/pony - 12" - not sure if this would fit a smaller mini, youth 13" and larger; the western work saddle), Huntseat (several sizes including a youth/leadline type and small size seats and styles) & Dressage (not in smaller, youth sizes but do have in wider widths that work very well on ponies). There is also another brand for English/Huntseat style that worked very well, was VERY affordable - the Thorogood, I think.

Both Ozark Mtn Mini Tack and Star Lake Tack sells some pretty nice little western saddles that ARE KNOWN to fit minis... Check them both out!

http://www.minitack.com/bhh4720.htm 10" seat. I see it is priced a bit higher than the one at National Bridle.

This one looks like it fits the mini better than the other fit my ponies, but not sure how long a growing youngster would fit in this 8" seat. They don't state who makes this one. Nor do they state how long overall it is... http://www.minitack.com/saddlebr/jtncorp.htm And the fender/stirrup doesn't appear to be able to be shortened enough to fit this particular toddler. BUT that can be fixed!

If you call Lisa (or her helpers - whose names I can't remember), she could help you and would be happy to do so.

Here's the one with Star Lake tack - http://www.starlakefarm.com/saddles.html Again, you could call Brenda - she's nice to work with, too!

Oh gosh--thank you! That 8" synthetic one doesn't look like it'd fit a 1.5 year old child. The area for the lil buttocks is so tiny. But I have a 10" that is waaaaay too big for my horses. So--I keep thinking a 10" is too big, but I guess it's all in how the saddle is made. I love that Star Lakes says it's perfect for 30-40 inch horses, but that doesn't take their width into account. And the seat in that one doesn't look deep, but the photo doesn't enlarge. The Ozark one is a bit too fancy for our needs, but if I knew it fit the best, I'd go for it. Hmmm.... thinking... thinking. I so appreciate being sent in a direction for my second try at this. Thank you!! Packing up this 10" and sending it back today.

I measured Chloe's back and the longer this saddle can be is 15". The one I have is 18" (it was supposed to be 16", according to their ad.). Do they make 10" saddles that have a skirt length of 15" or less?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably an ok place to start... I don't know that you'll like it after you've had it a little while. While the 2nd one (square skirt) looks better, I'd go for the round skirt saddle. I haven't gotten my little one measured yet to tell you what size it actually is.

I'm really surprised no-one else has actually chimed in on this one. I know that there are several folks out there that use saddles and probably have much more experience than I do. Of course, maybe their experience is with higher end saddles - the kind that, at first, I could never find and when I finally did, I simply couldn't afford when I wanted them.

I agree with Paula on the round skirt versus square skirt. I've seen some that are really cute, if you want to spend the money.

Latest posts

Back