Sad Story

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

journey

Reaction score
My Mom and Dad's neighbor had a sickly big horse at his house a couple months ago. I noticed she was timid and hid in the barn most of the time. This past Saturday I saw him outside with the horses and noticed how much better this Mare was doing. She is a beautiful silver dapple color. I walked over there and asked what happened to her.. This is the story he told me.

Back in January, he got a phone call from the police department in another county. This mare was standing in the parking lot at the courthouse at 6 in the morning. His daughter and him loaded up the trailor and went out there. When they got there, she was pittiful. Appairently in the middle of the night, someone dumped this poor mare off up there, she had been terribly abused. Her hooves were so overgrown they had curled into her fetlocks. Her teeth were severly overgrown, she might have weighed about 300-600 lbs, was severly malnutritioned. Her halter had grown into her skin and had to be surgically removed she also had lice so severly, they had to clip her to treat it. The vet told him she was about 20 years old and it would be something if she survived. Well they had her teeth fixed, the farrier has been out there several times to correct her hooves, they have her on a special grain feed and is doing 100% better. The owner of this horse was never found. She is not as timid anymore and she looks so much better. She has gained weight. I remember when I first saw her, her sides were sunk in and she would not raise her head. Now she hold that head up and has a little belly on her. God Bless this man for taking her in, and he said she wasn't going anywere, that she would live the rest of her life on his farm.

It just makes me angry that this person waited until the horse was so far gone before they seeked help. I think dumping the Mare off at the courthouse parking lot was cowardly. I am glad that this generous man took the time to go and get her and care for her. She will have a good life on this farm. She has other horses to be with and she will never be abused again.

What a wonderful beginning to the end of a sad story. May she live a long and healthy life. It is great to hear that someone cares enough to take in an abused horse.

I agree......the abuse does make one angry. BUT it is NOT a sad story! It was a WONDERFUL story with a great ending!

The mare was a fighter, to start with. She is pulling through and willing to try trusting people again. And she has found a great home to spend the rest of her life at and will be happy.

I say -- "YAY!" :aktion033:

MA

That is too bad. At least they gave her a chance at redemption, but one has to wonder, indeed, what the motivations were behind the horse's sad condition. Could have been anything, but so nice of this person to help her out and give her a chance to enjoy life for a change.

Hope she has at least a while to do just that.

Liz M.

I agree......the abuse does make one angry. BUT it is NOT a sad story! It was a WONDERFUL story with a great ending!

The mare was a fighter, to start with. She is pulling through and willing to try trusting people again. And she has found a great home to spend the rest of her life at and will be happy.

I say -- "YAY!" :aktion033:

MA

Yuppers!!!! They did wait too long, but at least they didnt wait till she died. Wish more people would go this route, drop an unwanted horse off someplace like that. Maybe like they allow new moms to drop off a baby no questions asked.

Give that man a hug from us, please, people like that are rare and sent by God, I swear they are.

He is a good man, and I would like you to tell him I said so.

God Bless him.

Well I guess what makes me so mad is the poor condition she was in. He said it looked to him like someone walked her up there on the concrete with no shoes on and her hooves in the condition they were in....That had to be painful for her to walk. Anyone could have hit her or spooked her. She is a lovely mare, has a sweet nature to her. She walked over to the fence to get a carrot from one of my little ones. They opened up an invite for my girls to ride at anytime. That's when I told him about our horses and he said he had never seen a miniature horse and asked if his daughter and him could come out to the house to see Harley. I bet they will fall in love with him. As far as I know, they just have 8 mares, a stallion and a couple of mules. Next time I see him, I will tell him what yall said...

It is a sad story, that ended up with a wonderful and happy ending. :aktion033: I know people like them are far and few between.

I agree give that man a hug or better yet buy him a bag of feed for that horse.

Years ago one of the arabian breeders I worked for ( she had a small farm and huge heart) ended up with this decrepid white with fleabites bag of bones.....we knew he was arab as we could quite literally count his vertebrae.....he was a stallion and he was old he was seized in some sort of raid and wisked to her farm......that horse had a fire inside of him and yet none of us held our breath that he would even survive....he had lice his hooves were curled there was ZERO meat on him by all accounts he should have been dead......we treated for lice worked with a vet to create a special feeding program and slowly he recovered.....what a magnificent animal he was...........after much research we discovered he was in his late twenties and had been a national champion at one time...............to this day I am saddened that even horse who has won the highest honors can succumb to this treatment..........his story also had a happy ending and he retired to petdom/pasture ornament
default_wink.png
: ..........

Again thank the person who has given this horse a second chance
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back