Sad News

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That really hurts when you only have one baby coming and it dies. I had 4 planned this year(my first year with mini's) and one of the mares went early. Found her in the stall obviously had been at it for a while and was already shocky...the bag of waters and the placenta were out but no foal. Foal was butt presentation and upside down, vet 45 min away. I got it pulled but was not easy, I was just happy the mare recovered. I'm happy yours is looking okay too. Of course mine was a black and white filly...I really wanted a filly out of this stallion and his other 2 are colts! Oh well, I'm told it's something you have to expect on occasion with the mini's....still sucks. Good luck with your mare. We waited until Sweetie had one normal season and then bred her back the next. With it so late you may just want to wait till next year to let her heal. Lots of luck, our thoughts are with you.

no.gif
So sorry to hear about your little filly. It is just so hard when you are trying your hardest to help and it turns out bad. Hope your mare will get over this quickly. Hugs to you, The sadness takes a long time to get over.

Deb

I am very sorry for your loss. I know how nice it would be to have another filly...I have one mare and another bred m are on the way...I'm crossing my fingers myself on the filly fairy. I hope you and momma heal from this experience.

The mare had a caslick before and my vet was going to stitch it back up anyway. he just cut it open 3 weeks ago. as to breeding her this year we'll see as I won't breed her if she is not 100% better. Kind of ruined my vacation plans, I am 2 upset to go now. Even though the hotel cost $169 + tax /night. My boyfriend and I were going to spend saturday night in Niagara Falls. We were planning to leave at 2a.m but doubtful now. I am just 2 upset.
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
deadhorse2.gif

I am SOO sorry! I know how heartbreaking it is. My Ginger lost her first foal earlier this spring, a gorgeous black and white colt with neat markings. It is like a punch in the gut.

Sheri

Im so sorry! We lost our 1st and only foal, a filly, the 1st year too. Its awful. Little did we know it would take us over 3 more years to ever get another filly! But that goes with breeding, u dont get a choice on the sexes.

hairicane said:
Im so sorry! We lost our 1st and only foal, a filly, the 1st year too. Its awful. Little did we know it would take  us over 3  more years to ever get another filly! But  that goes with breeding, u dont get a choice  on the sexes.
436394[/snapback]

I hear you! Last year we lost our first filly in 18 years! But boy, I will take a colt as long as it is healthy!

Shana,

If your mare is well enough and you are not needed to treat her, go for your vacation. But only if it is not necessary for you to be there and that someone knowledgable is watching your mare and can get ahold of you if required. While you are upset, the time away really will do your heart some good. That foal and your mare wouldn't wish to see you so upset. And your BF will understand if you are not 100% fun to be with, and he will appreciate that he is able to help comfort you in your time of need.

(((Hugs)))

Well I left at 2a.m Saturday morning to go to Niagara Falls. Spent saturday at marineland, spent about 30 minutes of that in their first aid building due to passing out of heat stroke. Sunday went beind the falls, then went to chapters bookstore in St catherines then home. Just got home now, to late to go bother my mare, will see her in the morning. I should have stayed home, wasn't much fun and my boyfriend didn't really care how I felt. Though I did get a e-mail from a lady who said she has 8 foals coming next year and she would sell me one nto to expensive. I have one arab foal coming in April 2006, maybe one mini if my mare is alright. I will have vet come before I breed her just to be sure. He said if it wasn't for the pinched nerve I could have bred her this heat as she didn't seem to rip or do damage to her insides. He will check her again Wednesday to see if he finds anything that he may have missed. We have experience pulling calves that are malpositioned so we did the same with her, first put teh legs where they were supposed to be and then when she had a contraction we pulled on the rope that we put around teh foals legs. The foal was already dead at this point. Wish I had gone down at 5a.m instead of 6a.m as I was up then. GRRR

no.gif
Shana:

I am so sorry for the loss of your filly. Prayers are on the way for you and your little mare. May God mend your broken hearts and dry your tears.

Joan

no.gif
so sorry for your loss ..hope your mare is going to be ok.sending {{{HUGS}}} to you and your mare.....

Well I went and saw Des, she is much better, walking on all 4 feet now, a little bit stiff still in hind end but much better. The vet said when she was walking on all fours again then she could go out. I put her out this morning with my 2005 mini filly, Sky. She pinned her ears back at Sky and chased her off at a run. Then she trotted around the paddock. Then calmed down and they are now munching grass together. Though Des let Sky know in no uncertain terms she is boss. My vet said it will be good for Des to be with Sky as Sky is still a baby(6 months old) and Des can mother her a bit. Though Sky is weaned so won't try to suck. LOL My stallion is not a happy camper though as he is stuck in the tiny paddock by himself. Poor boy. He can't even sniff noses with Des or Sky. He is about 200 feet away.

[SIZE=14pt]So sorry for your loss Shana, These things just happen sometimes with the minis. We are never prepared for it.[/SIZE]

Lyn

That's heart breaking. I feel so bad for you and the mare. Sending you hugs and condolences.

Latest posts

Back