Sad day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry this is a terrible shock, I know.

I would lay money on a broken neck, which is fast and pretty well painless.

I believe it was almost certainly lightning. The black mark is a 'burn', from it. As it would likely have stopped her heart instantly, it should have been a quick death, thus no signs of thrashing(mercifully...)

When my uncle was raising QH's, we found a foal death out in the(huge!) pasture. He had that black marking over his poll, no other sign of injury/trauma. The dam was uninjured. This was rolling county, not a tree in sight, nor any fence nearby. It was unquestionably a death by lightning.

A very sad thing; my condolences...however, these things do occasionally happen.

Margo

I am so sorry. one guess is she broke her neck. While I was at Nationals last year I had a then weanling filly with her head thru the fence (the care taker was here and saw her) she went to turn her head and forgot to pull it back thru the fence (she isnt the brightest crayon in the box) and smacked her head so hard against the pole she knocked herself out cold. She did in fact fracture her ..hmm I forget what it is called OH atlas she fractured her atlas(which is where the nerves and spine connect at the poll) and really we almost lost her. She is fine now but cant bend to one direction and is always sort of bent at the neck.

There was more then ample room for my filly to get her head in and out of the 3 rail panel in fact my T/B can easily do it. She just simply got distracted forgot to pull her head back and went to go run and play. I am lucky enough that someone was there at the time to see it happen.

Again I am very sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss, regardless the cause.
default_sad.png

Jan

:no: FIRST OFF I WANT TO SAY I AM SO VERY SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_sad.png

I know how hard this is, so unexpected. I found one of my jennet's in my pipe fence just like this, the only difference was her front legs where through too, and she could not get up, you could tell she had been fighting to get up as the ground was pretty torn up with her fighting, LUCKILY I happened to go out that evening, to check the water in the tank....and saw her up in the corral. I ran up and pulled her out.

I would say if there was no ground torn up, it was something that happened fairly fast like lightening.

I hope you find out why.

And again I am so very sorry for your loss.

I am sure with mine she was rolling to close to the fence.

Am so sorry... is really hard on a person to find them dead. Hope you can find out what it happened.

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a horrible shock to go out and find something like that. Whatever happened it was obviously fast. The ground doesn't have any marks on it that she struggled(even pulling back if her head were caught). My guess is lightning, especially with the black mark.

OH NO! I'm SO DEEPLY SORRY!
default_crybaby.gif
:

My heart goes out to you, you must be devastated. She was a nice looking young mare. It sure looks like she didn't suffer thank God. I hope you find out what caused it. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

First of all, let me say how sorry I am for the loss of your mare.

My guess would be lightning. With our first mini herd, we lost our stallion and six mares when a tree they were under was struck by lightning. All 7 of them had a single black mark (burn) on them. It is awful to lose one this way but at least you can rest assured that she never knew what hit her and did not suffer at all.

I think if she had gotten cast or stuck there would have been some disturbed ground from her trying to get up.

Mary

default_sad.png
I am so sorry to hear that! What an awful sight that must have been.

Please let us know what you find out.

I am so sorry for your loss. Looks like she wasn't thrashing, so I would have to agree with those that think lightning, along with the black mark. What a shame. :no:

Sheri

I'm sorry for your loss
default_sad.png

Looks to me like it happened quickly. As others said there is no dug up grass or anything and I think with lightening there are ususally some signs.

Tammie

Sorry for your loss. She was a nice looking mare. I would say it is possible that lightning hit her. Let us know what the Vet says.

I'm sorry for the loss of your beautiful mare. It does sound like lightening to me too.

Oh, how upsetting. I'm so sorry. There's probably little condolence in it, but it doesn't appeared that she struggled. I hope you find out the cause. :no:

I am so terribly sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
Nice looking mare too.

Clara

Latest posts

Back