Sad day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry you lost this little girl. I too hope that the vet can give you an idea of what the cause of death was.

Hugs and prayers for you as you deal with the loss of your little mare.

I am so sorry.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png

I also believe this to be a lightning strike. There is no evidence at all in those photos of a struggle. The black mark is common on victims of lightning strikes. There WAS a lightning storm before she was found. And IMO...she was not in a position to break her neck, even if she had been startled with her head thru the fence.

Such a shame.....she was a beautiful mare. Glad she didn't suffer.

Please accept my condolances, I just lost a much loved mini too and I know how it hurts.

Ginny StP

I am extremely saddened by your loss! Like another poster said: Had I found one of my horses dead, I would have completely lost it.

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your mare! That is so tragic.

I hope you find the cause soon.

Beth

My heart just stopped for a sec imagining your finding your sweet girl and the horror and pain you must have felt and still feel. I am so terribly sorry for your loss, going quickly is a blessing but one I wish she hadn't had to experience. My good friend lost 2 this way. They were grooming each other in a storm and the lightning sruck one and killed both instantly.

First of all, I'm so sorry for you loss.

I haven't had time to read all the posts on this topic, but I'm suggesting the mare might have died of natural causes, and happened to be right next to the fence when she went. The fence may have nothing to do with it. Horses do have heart attacks. And do die of things we just don't know are going on inside them. Just an idea. Sometimes we never know the cause, even with a necropsy.

Again, my sympathy.

I want to add my condolences on your loss as well.

when I was a teenager, our best Angus bull was the victim of a lightning strike that traveled down a fence line (at the bottom of a heavily wooded hill). He was the only one close enough to the fence to be affected, and it was a very localized wound. I'd guess she went very quickly. so very sorry

Sorry for your loss.

Lightning is very likely as fences make excellent conductors. The charge from a lightning strike can travel miles on a fence if conditions are right. It does not take much of a charge to kill any livestock or people. She may have been reaching thru the fence at the wrong time.

Mark

So sorry for your loss. During storms I am always afraid of fences because of the lightening, we had lightening stike here at our place and after the storm we went out to check on the horses and the chain on the gate was welded together by a few links. It really made me stop and think. Poor thing, it looks to have happened very quick. My condolences.

OhNo was likely very close to the fence line and received a jolt and where she was standing/walking she just fell over sideways and her head and neck landed between the bars when she went down. We decided we had better wean all the babies yesterday because her foal was the youngest born May 7 and felt he needed to have more company besides just a babysitter and the others were plenty old enough. He's a little brat never cared all day about mom in the field closed of from him but in sight till the truck went in to drag her out then he got very verbel along with all the other mares running and screaming till her and the truck were out by the garden. That was such a very sad thing to have to watch and l swear everyone of the horses here knows about the garden and that no one comes back from there ever because thats when they all become quiet and it's back to whatever they were doing... Thankyou to all who posted and gave a thought about my mare.

Be sure to take the time to tell your other mares and foals why she went to the garden and that they are and will be fine but she has gone and will not return, especially with her colt. He will wonder about mom, I am glad he is weanable age, makes it so much easier.

I am SO sorry. There is just no easy way to deal with the loss of one of our treasured little ones. And I do believe those who are left 'know'.
default_sad.png

I would certainly agree with the others that is looks like a lightning death
default_sad.png
No signs of struggle.

thinking of you,

Charlotte

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

I am so SORRY about her loss. It is all of our nightmare that you saw. I am sorry. Glad you have her son.

Latest posts

Back