Sad day here at Rockin ELM

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kira98

Reaction score
default_no.gif
Okay I took my 2yr old purebred arabian gelding, Ashton(Khaleel Shaheen-beautiful white falcon) to a geldings only catalog horse sale in Stilwater,OK today

I had tried to advertise him on the web on like equinenow and on craigslist for a while and i needed to sell him as I dont have the time or the room

This colt has super nice bloodlines and moslty straight egyptian and he is the 2yr old out of my broodmare SA AKIRA JAMEEL that foaled Pacey

This grey colt is a nice boy with a nice head and neck and very smart. First time being out of the pasture so to say and goin to town

He was calm til sale time but thats to be expected he was real nervous in the sale ring all the people the announcer and commotion but handled real well

First when i got there i thought DANG they segregated me ! put me in the back farthest corner stall in the barn

I was the ONLY arabian there ! lots of Quarters and Paints mostly cowbred horses and lots of ponys and grade horses

I paid $100 for the fee to enter him in the sale they had 8%commision and then not to mention the cost of payin a friend to HAUL HIM From my house to the sale that was $120. plus the cost of me to stay over night and food so ive got a lil invested

My turn to go in the sale ring. I was in and out prob like 3min he was being good no panic or rearing just nervous and not standing or movin quiet. First off the guy couldnt pronouce his name cause it was an arabic name nad his sires name he couldnt say SA SHABIN okay how hard is that SHABEEN ! gesh

crazy huh cause he wasnt a quarter and wasnt a peppy san badger or a doc bar or oh a chic o lena bred cow horse

NO BODY wanted to buy him and he was a 2yr old and anybody that knows arabs knows you dont break them til they are 3. and anyway so even with the round pen work thats been done and all that handling I sold him today to the highest bidder

I had to let him go because i PROMISED my hubby that I would sell him because I had brought my new mini filly mimi home before he left and i was supposed to wait. anyway longstory short

When they dropped the hammer and said sold $85.00! I wanted to
default_smileypuke.gif
! I had just a split second to make a massive decission PO him and take him home and break the promise and get in some massive argument or let him go...... I told them sell him

The whole time im lookin at the ground, can't look at anybody and i busted in to tears and was
default_crybaby.gif
my eyeballs out ! walking out of the ring !

NOT because i sold my gelding but because he only went for $85 and i had to PAY the SALE COMPANY to sell my horse today because he didnt bring enuff to cover the catalog fee I wrote them a check for $22.00! people probably thought I was a nut case !crying like i was the rest of the day. Alot of people came to me that were selling horses there today and said they were sorry he didn;t bring much that I had a nice horse.

Why are people so freaking breed biased ! I just dont understand. to me there is RIGHT breed for a good horse ! or a bad color for a good horse ! :arg!

I think i could have sold him without his papers as a grade gelding and brought at least $300 for him !

So today I said a very very
default_bye-sad.gif
to my lil Ashton

here is a pic of the gelding that I sold today and thank you guys for letting me kinda vent im just in total shock

m_d5b7b9a6949646359cea0329ea96a761.jpg

Oh my. I hope he didn't go to a kill buyer for that price... I'm so sorry.
default_no.gif

No he didnt go to a killer buyer i asked the lady in the sale barn they pointed the guy out that bought him

she said that a nicer guy couldnt have bought him and he goes to the sale alot and hes very kind

and when he does go he doesnt buy much and they say that his wife is a school teacher. they live in ks she said

so im hoping that they do like him and he is good for him and he doesnt go to a sale next weekend because

he was kinda a bit headshy for some odd reason and i never did anything to make him scared so who knows

was a lil tuff to catch in the pasture but a very friendly in your face kinda kid till you came in with the halter lol

I wanted to tell them this stuff but I didnt get to

all the lil quirks i understood i fear that nobody else will understand or put up with or work with him on to make it better !

I'm so sorry Erika.
default_sad.png
You put a lot of work into him and he's a nice looking colt too. Maybe you can find his KS buyers and tell them all about him?

{{{{Hugs}}}}

CRAP Erika, I just hate that! You made me cry, I know how upset you must have been and still are. Would have been a better outcome I am sure if it had been an arabian sale. Most cowboys turn thier noses up to arabians and TB..so sad...a good horses is a good horse no matter the breed.

It's sad you hear stuff like this a lot, with the full size horses. It's over, so try to shake it off and enjoy your little minis. (((hugs)))

It's not just a breed bias.

It's the market.

At the monthly auction sale around here, wellbroke registered QH geldings were going for $225.

Papered Paint yearlings were $75.

And the KB was there taking advantage of the low prices...

I saw your guy at the sale, I'm sorry to hear he didn't bring anything. Unfortunatly yes, it was a sale marketed primarly towards working ranch horses, cow breed horses, and rope horses. And those horses all brought good prices. The ponys didn't bring but a few hundred dollars.

We picked up a really nice 4yr old colt, just started, Grandson of Martha Six moons and has Shawnee Bug, Rocket Wrangler, and Tiny Jet Deck all on his papers too. Didn't pay much for him simply because he was led through.

Heres the guy we picked up

Ben4.jpg

Again, so sorry you lost money on your boy. Arabians seem hard to sell around here. Hopefully he went to a good home though, you should try and get a hold of the guy and check up on him.

WOW
default_new_shocked.gif
When will people stop breeding unwanted horses. I hope he has an ok life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man what a kinda rude comment IMHO I didnt breed him to be unwanted I had a buyer for him as a weanling and some unforseen situation happened to her (she became disabled and she gave him back to me so that I could find him a good home as she knew i was going to minis I do not ride anymore i have switched to minis and driving )

OSU Barrelracer - thats a super nice gelding you bought I hope that you get lots of use outta him

You remember that real nice dapple grey pony mare she sold for 750 she is listed on craigslist for 1500 this morning ! and another horse that sale too !

They said that the guy that bought him was nice and so im goin to go with that I know of a nother person that purchased at auction that day for a low low price and its a forever home.

I didnt po cause i promised my husband that i wouldnt bring him back to the farm cause i had gotten my new mini before i had him sold and i was supposed to have him sold before i brought her home lol

well when i told him the price he asked why i didnt bring him back ! OY !!!!!!!!!!!! now he tells me and i didnt call and ask cause i made a promise !

If i could go back in time to saturday at noon i would po him and i would have given him to the family that leased my aged arabian mare for breeding.

Tagalong -

the riding horses brought decent amount one went for 4000 and others goin for upwards of like 800 or so but for the unbroke horses 200 or so for them but mine was not a cowbred qh

but they say he went to a good person.

im goin to be sad about this for a bit but i cant keep them all cause i dont have the room or trust me i would have a million !

The riding horses went for what they did because they are ready to go...

At the Enumclaw sale near here yesterday afternoon the high seller was a Paint mare who went for $2700. Very nice mare. Right behind her was a QH gelding who went for $2500. Both of them were broke to death. But a nicely started dun gelding was only $500. Anything not started and lead through was much less... some yearlings were $100 or less.

default_no.gif

That is a very sad day. In my area, broke is all that brings in a good price anymore, doesn't matter what breed (even includes minis!). And even then. . . questionable at times. Bottom line is WE have to make sure there is a market out there for what we put into the world if we can't keep them forever.

I am sooo sorry to hear what happened! I feel for you and others in your situation. An auction not to far from us sold a team of mini mares that were perfectly matched for only 300 and they were only 4 years old. The market is terrible and its sooo sad.

"Oh my. I hope he didn't go to a kill buyer for that price."

Horses cannot be sold to the kill market anymore due to Federal Law. So you can rest easy on that.

Hopefully he went to a great home and they will love him forever.

"Oh my. I hope he didn't go to a kill buyer for that price."
Horses cannot be sold to the kill market anymore due to Federal Law. So you can rest easy on that.

Hopefully he went to a great home and they will love him forever.

I am not sure where you heard that but it is incorrect. Sadly kill buyers business is booming except now the horses are being transported farther for slaughter.

I am not sure where you heard that but it is incorrect. Sadly kill buyers business is booming except now the horses are being transported farther for slaughter
This is true. The lucky ones get shipped up here to Canada. The unlucky ones go to Mexico.
Sometimes it's just better to give the horse away to someone that you know will care for him, that way you have some control over the home your horse goes to.

Around here it's the same way; there would be absolutely no point in sending a young, untrained Arabian to auction, just because so few people want an Arabian. Even some die-hard Arabian trainers have switched to QHs, just because there are so many more opportunities for QHs in this area.

I am not sure where you heard that but it is incorrect. Sadly kill buyers business is booming except now the horses are being transported farther for slaughter
This is true. The lucky ones get shipped up here to Canada. The unlucky ones go to Mexico.
Sometimes it's just better to give the horse away to someone that you know will care for him, that way you have some control over the home your horse goes to.

Around here it's the same way; there would be absolutely no point in sending a young, untrained Arabian to auction, just because so few people want an Arabian. Even some die-hard Arabian trainers have switched to QHs, just because there are so many more opportunities for QHs in this area.

Not to mention that the slaughter bill just passed in Montana (Thank you Jesus).

I saw her boy at the sale, he was a nice horse, but NOTHING that isn't finished brings anything anywhere unfortunately.

We bred only our BEST PROVEN miniatures. We only bred one big horse this year, an absolutely amazing barrel horse who needed a year off, knowing that no matter what we were going to be keeping her colt. With big horses, think about it this way: why would you put yourself through the expense and upkeep and worry of breeding your mare and foaling her out, when you can go out and buy a REALLY well bred prospect that you already know how they look and are healthy, for half of what you will spend in stud and vet fees to breed your mare.

Back