Sad Day at my House

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSR's_Judy

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]It has been a sad day at our house the last 24 hours. [/SIZE]

We have been having drought conditions in our area, so I had to purchase a couple of big bales of hay Tuesday for my broodmares.

He came very highly recommended by several horse owners in the area.

Well to make a long story short, by 5:00 pm last night I had one mare showing signs of labor and she was not due till May. By 8:00 pm the mare still did not deliver so I called the vet and she came to delivery we saved the mare but loss the foal because it was in a breech position.

About a hour later the vet let, I was getting ready to go to the house to get more towels when I noticed my other broodmare was missing. I had turned her out in the corral so that we would not stress her while we worked on the other mare in the stall beside her. She still had about three weeks before her foal was due.

I found her she was standing over her little filly she had just delivered, but it could not get out of the bag and so we loss it too. I feel so bad she must have been having her foal when we was finishing up with the first one baby. I called the vet back before she got to far away.

She asked me if I have changed anything, I said only that bale of hay, she took sample of the hay for testing so I will know Monday. And told me to pull the rest of the broodmares of that hay, and put them on Equine Junior and hay cubes till we find what is going on. I still have 4 mares left to foal all due in about 3 and 4 weeks.

I am just praying that we found the problem and saved the other foals, but it may be a long 4 weeks.

So I just wanted to share this so if someone that is just starting out breeding to be careful, broodmare's nutrition and care is a #1 priority. If you change to a new hay have it tested first. I learned this with a sad heart and loss of two special foals and two grieving mares.
default_sad.png

And I pray the other expecting mothers have healthy little foals.

Judy

I am so sorry to hear this. It always hurts to lose one, and I am sure almost everyone on this forum has been there at one time or another. No matter how hard we try sometimes foalings just dont go in our favor and God has differant plans for our little ones. (((HUGS))) to you. Corinne

I am so sorry for your double loss Judy... :no:

Those poor mares, you just hate to see them going through that...

Nancy

Judy, I am so sorry. From experience I know what it is like to lose two foals in such a short time frame. Thank you for sharing your experience. Sending best wishes that your other mares will be ok. Bless you!

Sorry for your losses very sad when that happens. What is your hay getting tested for??

I am sooo sorry for your losses today. I will pray for the safe delivery of your remaining foals for this year. I know the pain of losing one, but just cannot imagine the hurt of losing two. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Condolences to you and your mares, I'm so incredibly sorry.

Jodi

I am so sorry for you and the mares. I hope and pray that the rest of your foaling seasons brings healthy little babies.

Judy, I am so sorry for your losses, I appreciate you telling us though as it serves as a very good warning to those of us that wouldn't have thought about this happening. I know we don't go out & switch hay on purpose, but gosh, when we go to the same feed store & buy the same orchard grass a few weeks later, darned if the hay doesn't look totally different. Atleast none of ours had alfalfa in it this time, last year we ran into that little problem, atleast it was a problem for one of our mares.

Again, I am so sorry for your losses. :no:

[SIZE=14pt]I'm sorry for your loss. I too just lost my first and only foal tonight. He was a beautiful palomino colt woth 2 hind white socks.[/SIZE]

Christy

I am so sorry for you losses, but sending good thoughts that the mares continue to do well.

NO Judy NOOO!!!!!!!! My friend, I'm so stunned and hurt for the horrible losses you've had. I know how much you love your horses and that everything you do for them is only the best. If the hay was at fault, it was the hay, NOT you! Your horses have to eat and this drought has been horrid. It's not fair! My heart and prayers goes out to you and your mares. {{{{{Judy}}}}}

I'm SO sorry hon.
default_crybaby.gif
:

:eek: ..I am so very sorry for your loss!! I am praying that the rest of your broodmares will be ok. ((Hugs))

-Kris

[SIZE=14pt]Oh, Reo, my special friend thank you, this mare I almost lost was Gracie. First mare I emailed you about 4 years. When I was so nervous about her first foal which was a lovely bouncy silver dapple boy. Who is expecting his first foals this summer. Gracie is special to me. [/SIZE]

All my minis are special. But when you just about lose your first mare its rough. Then you see another one of your special mama's in pain from there loss its terrible. I know that several of us have been thru it more than once, it's still has painful as it was the first time. (Trying not to cry here)

[SIZE=18pt]I want to thank everyone on this forum, you are wonderful, more than words can ever say![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I hope me sharing this posting may help to save another foal and mother the pain.[/SIZE]

I wanted to say the vet is testing the hay for protein amounts, bacteria and any pesticides.

I will let the forum know as soon as I hear anything.

[SIZE=18pt]Again thank you all, you are wonderful! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Judy [/SIZE]

I've got tears running down my face. I was afraid to ask if it was Gracie. I know she is extra, extra special. Please give her a hug for me please? And your other sweet mare too.

{{{{Judy}}}}

I'm so glad you didn't lose the mares but I know you are heartbroken about losing these foals. I am praying that the rest will come safely and be healthy.

So sorry for your loses. One is awful but losing 2 is just too much.

Latest posts

Back