Sabino Gene

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knighthawke

Reaction score
I have two sabino horses an I was wondering if there is a lethel problem with breeding those two color patterns together like LWO or Belly Splash patterns?

There are no known lethal issues with breeding two sabino patterned horses together. There are also different sabino genes as well, so more than likely different genes come into play. You could end up with a mostly or solid white horse, so you need to be prepared for that!

While there is a lethal gene associated with LWO, there is none associated with splashed white.

Here is a link to the Paint Horse Association book on color genetics. That I just found!

Some people have observed that

many splashed white horses are

deaf. This is not much of a problem

if the trainer realizes the limitations

of the horse in question and modifies

the training program to meet

the horse’s special needs. Many of

these horses go on to lead normal

and productive lives.

Because no homozygous

splashed white horses have ever

been documented, researchers suspect

that this is another gene that

cannot exist in homozygous form.

If this is true, the loss of hearing

probably occurs early in gestation

rather than at term. Because of this,

the best strategy for producing

splashed white horses is to mate

them to horses without the

splashed white pattern.

Color Pattern

Last edited by a moderator:
No test currently exists for splash white. There is a test for sabino, but it is only for one specific type of sabino.

There is no issue with breeding sabino to sabino.

One thing to bear in mind is that a Sabino may also very well carry the LWO gene without showing it. While there would be no problem with breeding two Sabino horses to each other, I would definitely test to make sure they were not hiding Frame (LWO) also.

The sabino gene ads wonderful pizzazz to a color breeding program when bred to frames, splashed whites, and tobianos.

So it is a wonderful addition to a color breeding program. As Becky mentioned, two sabinos can "white out" when bred together and you may instead want to breed them to another type of pattern.

PLEASE test for LWO if you have not already done so, or know that it is not possible. I would hate for your "white" foal to be lethal.

OLWS is the onlysyndrome in patterns that carries any lethal problems and I am pretty sure there have been H/Z Splash! I cannot actually remember one off the top of my head but I am pretty sure they are out there. Since there is no test for Splash White it is as impossible for me to prove that there is an H/Z Splash as it is silly of the PHA to say such an unprovable thing!

I know of Splash White that are deaf, but I know of many more that are not, btw.

Thank you for all the info and insight about testing for LWO. I have tested a lot of my mares with Rowdy because of LWO but I had not tested her or my new stallion for it.

Latest posts

Back