Rushing into purchase...help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlenicker

Reaction score
I need tips on not rushing into purchase!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I know just what you mean. My husband said I could get a mini and I found one that night. It helped that I was already looking at her on line. I brought her home a week later. Lol. I was not going to let him change his mind on me. I don't know how to keep from rushing into it but I do know that if the little one is for you you will know it. I love my little mare. Right from the minute I lead her around I knew she was coming home, I just needed the vet to give me the all clear.

Good luck with you adventure, I know you will find just the one for you.

When looking at each mini, ask tons of questions. Look up a few on line and then not each one. Pick out the ups and downs in each one you like, and whatever one you like best, (and thats not out of your price range,) and ask more questions! =) Good luck! =)

Make a list of what you want. Let's say, you want a silver bay mare with a star, has to be AMHA registered and halter broke. Then, look at all the silver bay mares, weeding out ones that don't fit your criteria. Make a list. Write the sellers, ask questions, get pix. Take your time! Buy the best horse you can afford. Don't go for the first one you see (unless, of course, you feel that "jolt" when you look at him/her- been there, done that and DON'T regret it!!) Have someone ELSE look at the pix- they may notice something you didn't. We love to do that here on the Forum....
default_smile.png
just remember to PM pix and not post them here, as that isn't permitted.

Then, once you get your list, ask yourself if you can live with their faults: OK, this one is pretty but hard to catch, that one is a pocket pony but not as pretty, etc.

Plus, if you wait and save your $$ you can buy a better horse and will have much more to choose from! And many people "clean house" in the spring: babies coming, new show horse on the way, so she's gotta go....

check out the seller select auction, there is a link on the top of the page. Now is a good time as I have friend going back east hauling
default_smile.png
reasonable too.

Oh GO check out the seller select auction, put a bid there are some BRILLIANT horses on there, some with some very scruffy pictures that are going to affect the prices in your favour. If it did not cost an arm and a leg to get them home I should be bidding myself.

Have you checked out the Lilbeginnings main page? There you will find a breeders directory of the members of this wonderful site. Check out the web-sites on the east coast, some are closer then you think and I'm sure some will even meet you half way with a trailer. I know from experience that some will even take payments.

I second the idea of making a list of what you want to do and think LONG term. Do you want to eventually show or is this for the kids? etc. I mean, a lot of animals can still be companions but NOT a lot can also drive or show or breed or be the right size for kids. Think long and hard. Color, conformation, make sure you get just what you want.

You can help your feeling of rushing to by another by making a list of what you REALLY want your next mini to be like and stick with it. Be real picky. Look and look until you find the "perfect" one. What is your dream horse ?

I know what you mean. I looked at a hundred minis on line and on Craigs List and such. I knew I wanted a mini. I called on a very few of them just to ask questions even though they were not what I was looking for [mare, stallion]. I kept an eye on my list and stuck to it. I wanted a gelding that already knew how to pull a cart and that was a little older with out being 29. Yes, one of the mini people told me to go look at a 29 year old mini. He was sweet but he wasn't trained to pull the kind of cart I had envisioned and I was hoping to have a bit younger creature.

The ladies went over the bad points of the animals I was looking at including that prices were low in our area and I didn't want to overpay and different things. They were pretty patient.

Then I found my little guy. He was a great price. One owner. Knew how to pull a cart. Very sweet with no biting or kicking. He didn't have pink nose nor was he all white nor all black. With our high desert sun I didn't want to have a sunburned nose all the time or have him overheating. I took someone knowledgeable with me and we discussed his good points and his bad points.

His major drawback is that he is so small. 31 1/2 inches and I was worried about him being able to pull Hubby and me around. I thought about it and realized I would be going out alone almost all the time anyway. And that is what has happened. I wouldn't have wanted to go any smaller but he has worked out just fine.

I stuck with my list and got some help and I am glad that I got what I was looking for.

Latest posts

Back