Running Stallions Together...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAM

Reaction score
The beautiful Mill Creek Valley~Prineville, OR
I was wondering how many of you run your stallions together and what your experiences have been, good or bad? I have seen people that do it without troubles when there are no mares around but wanted to hear everyone's opinion about it. Just curious....

Definitely DO NOT!!! Yes I have seen some people do it successfully in certain circumstances but I have also been witness to many stallions torn to pieces because they were running with others. We usually have our colts together until they are 2 and then right away take them away from each other before breeding season. I think it's good for them to play and get exercise and just be horses but once they're 2 and the hormones kick in then it's time to take them away from each other before they get hurt. We have 2 young stallions (one is up coming 5 and the other is upcoming 4) and they always have to be in with each other. We took them apart and they cried
yes.gif
and kissed through the fence... not even joking
laugh.gif
Both of them breed their mares and are separated the 2-3 months when they're busy but then they are put back in with each other. I've never ever seen either of them bite the other or go after them in any way. It's actually really cute!!
rolleyes.gif
I would never put our other stallions in with any other males. We've had a couple get lose and once one got in with another stallion and we thought they were gonna kill each other. This was in the winter by the way and the mares are no where in sight! So I just wouldn't. We do put them next to each other. We have one stallion that has horrible arthritis and is cooped up most of the time in the barn. He is a hellian and every once in a while we put him by some of the other stallions (when he feeling okay and is on his meds!) and let him be a normal horse. He is watched for the full half hour so he doesn't get hurt. He's always so happy after that! Otherwise, that's the only interaction our stallions have with each other. I think it's horrible if you put 2 stallions together and let one of them just tear at the other. That's called animal cruelty and you should be punished accordingly. It's not right at all.

If you've ever witnessed a stallion fight which I have at a very young age, you wouldn't ask. The tearing of flesh and guts hanging lingers in a person's mind.

There is no chance and I repeat no chance that I would ever do that in a million years.

My horses are not torn up and don't have a scratch or bite mark or scar on them and I aim to keep them that way.

It may work for some and I know it does, and that's ok, but I ain't gonna do it here.

I have never actually considered it as we are fortunate to have the space to house them all separately but I know some who have been successful and was curious about others' success and failures in doing this. I have just recently put all of mine in paddocks adjacent to each other and have been watching to see that they are ok with that. So far they are completely disinterested in each other. Curious as to others' opinions and experiences.

Have done it successfully for over 30 years with ten two year old or older stallion. Our QH stallions run together also. There are some that can not be housed together "off season" but not here.

minicount said:
Have done it successfully for over 30 years with ten two year old or older stallion.  Our QH stallions run together also.  There are some that can not be housed together "off season" but not here.
482300[/snapback]

Have you ever had any trouble when you introduce a new stallion to the group? I am assuming you introduce them slowly, maybe through a fence?

I think one big key to having it work is plenty of space. Derby and Lonesome lived together well all the way up to 4yo and 5yo stallions, but I was getting concerned it wouldn't last. They are geldings now, and get along fine
laugh.gif

I think this is a personal prefrence thing! I know a few people who have there stallions together on off breeding season, but when breeding time comes they seperate them, my freind Bambi Fowler has this particular pair that she dosent have to seperate, even during breeding season and she raised them as colts, and they grew up together and they get along fine, I am one, WHEN I have my heard of stallions that will keep them together on off breeding season, I know lots of people who have done it succesfully for years and I think the stallions get used to it, and have never had a problem yet, or they wouldnt do it!!

-Gage-

I've seen big farms that have lots of land and will run the stallions in one pasture over the winter. To this point, they haven't had any problems.

I have 2 stallions that can share a fenceline without fussing but I don't have the space to run them together and since they are both "show stallions" I don't want to take the chance.

I can run two 2 year olds and our oldest stallion (23 years) together in the fall/winter.

But i don't dare run the other 2 older stallions with them. It just won't work.

Maybe if we had alot of land i might try it.

But we are just too close quarters here.

Well, I do appear to be the minorioty here, but oh well. I do run mine together and haven't had any problems. When I first put them together they squeal, arch their necks, paw, make a racket like the world is coming to an end, but really don't do much. A few times I've seen them rear at eachother and kick a few times, but nothing serious enough to hurt one (although that's only my experience). After a few days they get over it and all is well. I currently have two stallions, one 6 and one 8 that run together. They have both bred many mares, but seem fine together so far. I bought the sorrel pinto a week ago and put them together. I feel bad for the stallions that live a life of solitary confinement. That's what they do to people in prison as a punishment, and horses are herd animals. I believe they need a friend and buddy to hang with and without mares around as a whole they are much happier to have a buddy than be living alone. JMHO. Here's my stallions the first day they were together.

CoopMaverick1.jpg

CoopMaverick.jpg

MaverickCoop.jpg

well I will say this.. it is NO DIFFERENT then those that say they run there large horses togther with there minis for years and have no issues.- or those that leave halters on 24/7 with no problems or those that never attend foalings or never ride with a helmet or a million other things that people will tell you is very wrong
wacko.gif

That may very well be there experience however.. it is one of those things (running stallions togther)- that when it goes wrong it goes VERY VERY wrong.

Having witnessed more then one stallion fight in my life time one with horses that had been togther and buddies for years.. and seeing the end result it will NEVER be anything i personally choose to do. I did it once and it ended with using 2 by 4's and anything else I could find including shovels and hoses and such and all of us ending up very bloodied and bruised for me to learn my lessons. My stallions are NEXT to my herd and are in a open panel barn with my mares they are not isolated nor are they in solitary confinement they are however safe and my other horses are safe from them.

Mind you my stallions are also well mannered - I wont use a chain during breeding and can have every one I have ever owned with just a lead around there neck during both teasing and breeding with no issues whatsoever but I never forget small or not they are stallions.

Totally agree with ruffntuff.....and actually IMO it is far more dangerous to run stallions together than to put a mini with a big horse...

NO way no how will I run stallions together ever....

I have found that my boys that I put together from the time they were young, anywhere from weanlings to 3 years old or so, I can let live together for the winter months. They knew each other as youngsters and they seem to remember that once breeding is not an issue, and get long again like when they were young.

This year I put my yearling Shorty, 2 year old Dreams, 7 year old Touchdown, 14 year old Spicy, and 17 year old Rambo together a few days ago now that breeding season is over, and these pictures were on the very first day. :)

Susan O.

stallions2.jpg

stallions3.jpg

stallionswinterizing.jpg

Never... done it once to awful for words.

Our boys are herd bound, they were born on the same farm, and close in age... grew up together. ... it works for us... but any other horse, I'd never do it... THank heavens next year... we'll be in our new house, with new pasture... an an acre per horse... Yeah!

God Bless,

Lynn W

Black Magic said:
Our boys are herd bound,  they were born on the same farm, and close in age... grew up together.  ... it works for us... but any other horse, I'd never do it... THank heavens next year... we'll be in our new house, with new pasture... an an acre per horse... Yeah!
God Bless,

Lynn W

482527[/snapback]

I love your Avatar photo. Reminds me of my black Arab mares.
wub.gif

Not to worry Voodoo, no confinement issues here. But I do know where you are coming from saying that. Many are secluded. But don't forget that things can change in a second with any notice, I can't take any chances like that.

I just feel that it's like playing with fire and you have a choice wether to ignite that fire and see if it burns or not. Just my opinon.

Thank you Leese. Well said. You always seem to get my point across much better than I can. My stallion is like hers: I can lead him and breed him with a rope around his neck. He's well mannered and has not been brought up to act like a jerk. When I see these stallions going around led with these bumper things I have to wonder what's up with that? I've had big horse stallions all my life and never did that stuff. I wanted to add that my stallion Nick is most certainly not in any kind of prison. His field is actually located dead center of everyone elses. He can see every one in every field from where he is and socialize next to the fence. His new stall is also designed so that it is airy and he can hang his head over the door and not have to struggle to see anyone.

My QH Sonny also has had to live the life of the stallion that he is not: separated in his own area since he was two, for the protection of other horses that he hates and will hurt badly. Sonny also can socialize next to the fence with his best buddy Nick, the stallion, and also can visit next to the fence with the mares as well. No one here is lonely or treated like an outcast. Stallions are people too!

Reminds me of my X mother in law. We're great on the phone, but don't invite her over..........
biggrin.gif

We have our 4 year old stallion, my 11 year old gelding, and my yearling stallion in with each other and they get along fine. But when we lock everyone in at night my yearling goes in his own stall. They romp and play and to tell you the truth my yearling has more fun picking on my gelding. But my two senior stallions I would never put in with any other stallions. They have gotten lose and fought and thank God my neighbors heard it and stopped it before anyone got hurt.

Latest posts

Back