Running Stallions Together...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry if my message came off harsh sounding ie. stereotyping that everyone who kept stallions seperate kept them in isolation. It's just that most of the stallions I have seen either run together or they are kept in a 12x12 with no contact whatsoever with other horses. I run mine together, others keep them locked up, and others let them out, but only across the fence from other horses. Everyone has their own opinion and none of them are either right or wrong, to each his own so I say whatever works best for you, your horses, and your situation is what you should do.

I think this topic comes up every six months or so . . .

We do keep the majority of our stallions in a bachelor herd year-round. They range in age from 1 yr to 20 yrs and from 25"-34". The caveat for that is they're on 20 hilly acres so have plenty of space to exercise and hang out together. There is a 1/4 mile of common fence line to the mares too, so they do see the mares and interact through the fence. The most dominant stallion or two will claim the majority of the fenceline.

stallions_03.jpg

The boys pasture in 2003, I don't have any recent photos on our website.

Most of our boys have been raised together from birth or were under 2 when they came here. We do have a couple of older ones that were 9+ and although they probably would adjust fine, I chose not to put him in with the other boys, but he has at least 1 to 2 mares with him year round. My other stallion, (had WNV in August), so we've chosen to keep him close to the house. He will be babysitting our weanling colts when we separate them in November from the fillies.

You really learn alot about herd behavior watching different groups interact.

I have noticed though that two to three stallions together will fight more than a larger group will.

All the boys have buddies, even the most dominant one will have his pal to hang out with, share hay, cruise the fence line with, groom, etc.

Stallions play fight, and fight for real - most of which is screaming, pawing and strutting. It can get rougher, but usually ends within 1/2 hour maximum time. Mares on the other hand can carry a grudge and fight for days - we've lost a foal to pregnant mares fighting.

If you have stallion(s), please research independently the options available to you (including discussing this with your vet!) and don't let others dicate to you your choice. They're your horses and you are the only one that can make the best decision on their care.

This site has two articles on stallion's testosterone levels in a bachelor herd situation (the whole site has lots of articles on breeding & reproduction).

Stallion management article

Never did it with the big horses- too much at risk. But I have done it with my Minis. Rabbit is like Sonny- he will share with no-one, but is happy in his round pen in the corner of the mares field, so I do not try to fix what isn't broke!! Cody has run with a gelding and three colts until now. This year he is going to stay with two barren mares and has finally settled to it. At one point I had, I think five or six entire males in together- BUT, and it is a BIG but- they were a good mix. The field thay were in was not big, but it was big enough. They had constant food and three more hay racks than there were horses so they had nothing to argue about. I think the bottom line here is, it can work. It needs a lot of knowing your horse- there are some it would never work with, like Sonny and Rabbit, but there are some that are as happy as bugs in a rug. I did have two boys who lived together all through the breeding season, set all their mares and compared notes afterwards!! That was exceptional, I think. If two stallions are happy sharing a fence line I would probably try them together if I had a reason to. If not, I would leave well enough alone.

Just my 2 cents worth -- We had two boys we raised together since birth. They made it fine through their first two breeding seasons. That next year they really started picking on each other. Finally had to separate them in their 4th or 5th year, can't remember.

On the other hand, I'd like to say that keeping stallions with each other or totally alone are not the only options for boys. Here's what we do:

Each stallion has his own little band of mares. He lives with them, breeds them, plays with his babies & lives as natural a life as possible in captivity. Both of our current stallions came to us as ones who had lived isolated lives before they got here. Off by themselves, even tho they were on "horse farms." Only social interaction with other horses was in breeding season. Both were ill-mannered with humans and had no herd manners.

Now, with their free lifestyle, they are babydolls! They come running if they just see me. They also come away from the crowd if I call their names. They have their own families & are the happiest boys I know. Took some lessons, they did, from those experienced brood mares, but the boys caught on pretty fast. A stallion hardly catches a glimpse of the other with the way things are set up here, even tho their fences are only 30 feet apart in some areas - trees & bushes are great things!

I know I'm lucky to even be able to have this option for horsekeeping. They horses are lucky too, in my opinion. Some might not agree, but it works for us.
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have 2 stallions which are kept separately. They were both raised in herd situations with other stallions and had behavior issues I didn't like so do not run stallions together. At this point they are too valuable to take the risk of injury. My stallion paddocks are off the house with 12x12 enclosed shelters and 5 1/2 foot high heavy duty panels between them but are still able to socialize.

Latest posts

Back