Run-In Sheds (photos enclosed)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SampleMM

Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance but I have never in my life had run-in sheds for my horses. I have a big barn where I treat all my horses like show horses but I know they would be happier spending more time outside. So, this week I have some men starting my sheds. The plan is to make them just like these ones except the one shed with two doorways will be separated with boards down the middle. The big one is 10 x 20 and the little one is 10 x 12. What are your thoughts? Do they look right?
default_unsure.png

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Those look nicely built, but to me, they are 'more than' a 'run-in' shed! More like a 'self serve stall'!
default_smile.png

Seriously--a tip or two---I wouldn't leave the inside 'unlined'; most horses are only too eager to gnaw on any exposed wood, so the exposed 'studs' might not last long at all. Also, anytime there is a 'permanent' opening, it is helpful for it to face AWAY FROM the prevailing winds.

Around here, a 'run-in' shed is usually a three-sided affair, with one side completely open. I have one large one, and three smaller ones....another tip is to make them 'deeper', front to back, than you might think necessary, so that wind-driven weather--rain or snow--is unlikely to 'penetrate' all the way to the back wall, thus giving the horse(s) better protection. The best idea I ever got was to make my large shed 16' deep instead of 12'! Also, mine face the south, so that in winter, the winter sun will shine all the way to the back of the shed during the middle of the day...sure helps keep it drier and cozier! In my experience,facing south, or possibly, east, is generally best. Here, winter winds are mostly out of the northwest, so south-facing the sheds is ideal.

I designed, and my late husband and I built, our run-ins. All are of painted metal panels, with the lower 4' 'lined' with 3/4" plywood(this for minis, of course). Edges of all wood are covered w/ galv. 'corner flashing'; this has worked quite well for us.

Good luck!

Margo

I would agree w/Margo....as far as it being more than a run in shed and coating the inside walls. But I think they would be great. I wish mine were that nice. Margo mentioned a true run in only having 3 walls but I like yours because if you decide to put on a couple doors ( you can always just leave them open ) then you have a true extra stall for emergencies. I think too it may help to keep some of the snow from blowing in in the winter. I really like the color too....blends in to the fields. Heidi

I like it but if its one of those pre-fabs, be careful they use pressure treated lumber. The ones I see around here for sale on the side of the roads are not and horses love to eat that soft wood. I also treat all my horses like show horses even though they aren't. Its just the way I do my horsekeeping. Your little barn looks a lot like mine. I call it a run in shed too because I hardly ever close their stall doors and lock them in but Margo is right, its more of a mini barn. We built it for under $500. My beams were also exposed but they haven't eaten any of it at all, but I think its because I don't lock them in as a rule and it goes out into their private pasture and also I feed a lot of hay. You can easily insullate it if you want as an option and that would cover up the exposed 2 X 4's. Insullating does help a lot even though its basically open. I do like having the option of closing the stall doors also on them when needed but I mostly pin them back with clips and an eye hook. This past week one of them has not gone in the stall at will and has been standing out in this insane heat, cooking herself to death. What a dummy! I finally shut the door on her! We finally got the vinal siding for it so it will match the barn and hold up longer so now I guess we'll have about $600 into it. Its 12' X 24'.

Here it is: It looks so "blah"and borring so I finally got a nice horsey flag and a couple of hanging baskets for it to spruce it up.

Littlebarncloseup-1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice Debbie. I built mine with an open front to facilitate cleaning. I can get in there with the tractor and scrape it out.

It never fails they go in the barn to go potty.

Very nice Debbie - Mine are similar but the fronts on mine are open more (wider) - more 3-sided than that. If you're having them made from scratch then you can ask for whatever you want. You are starting with a great building for your baseline.

I know in group settings, sometimes horses will run in/out or push eachother around - with a more open front, you have less for them to get injured on (the door frames). Just my opinion of course.

I agree with comments on the ease of cleaning too - and the direction in which you place them is important if they are going to act as a shield from wind etc.

Those look really nice! Would love to have a couple.

Good idea to get them lined inside and it is really nice you have the option to put in doors.
default_laugh.png

I learned last winter that 4' of snow makes my sheds useless. Perfect for them to get out of the rain if they want but when the snow blows and drifts, open ended sheds just don't work.

Have stall mats in my run in sheds..... no shavings at all. They don't use the sheds as a potty because they don't like to splatter themselves.
default_laugh.png

those look great! Sounds to me as if your horses are going to be stalled indoors and this is just a incase for when they are outside- Stalled horses really do not like the weather from the heat of the day to downpours at least mine don't and your run ins are lovely. I know my horses would like them!

My horses just told me they want to go live with you if that's your run in barns for the pasture!
default_laugh.png

those look great! Sounds to me as if your horses are going to be stalled indoors and this is just a incase for when they are outside- Stalled horses really do not like the weather from the heat of the day to downpours at least mine don't and your run ins are lovely. I know my horses would like them!
Lisa you are a mindreader. That's exactly how I'm going to use them!
default_yes.gif

Keri---You and your horses can come here. I have a huge house with four living rooms, four bedrooms and six baths. What was I thinking when I built this house?
default_wacko.png

Thank you everyone for your responses. I so appreciate it!!
default_biggrin.png

Genie,

Wow! Your place is so beautiful. Who does your yard work? Whoever it is.....they deserve a raise.
default_yes.gif

I would suggest putting the doors off center, so the horses have a place to duck behind if it's a driving rain etc., Like Mona's.

They look like great sheds.

Genie,Wow! Your place is so beautiful. Who does your yard work? Whoever it is.....they deserve a raise.
default_yes.gif
Thank you very much. We do everything around here and it's a full time job for two of us and we NEED HELP!, because we are OLD
default_saludando.gif

Wanted to mention that our shelters are on "skids" made of 4x4's and the tractor can be hooked on to the end and drag them to various locations if we want to change some grazing areas.

Genie,Wow! Your place is so beautiful. Who does your yard work? Whoever it is.....they deserve a raise.
default_yes.gif
Thank you very much. We do everything around here and it's a full time job for two of us and we NEED HELP!, because we are OLD
default_saludando.gif

Wanted to mention that our shelters are on "skids" made of 4x4's and the tractor can be hooked on to the end and drag them to various locations if we want to change some grazing areas.

That's been my biggest concern is being able to move it around. Are your 4x4 skids treated? Also, now I'm totally confused if I should have only three sided sheds or stick with the original plan
default_unsure.png

default_yes.gif
default_saludando.gif

That's been my biggest concern is being able to move it around. Are your 4x4 skids treated? Also, now I'm totally confused if I should have only three sided sheds or stick with the original plan
default_unsure.png
They are "pressure treated" .

I really like your sheds and the skids could likely be easily added.

Good grief! I didn't realize my daughter was logged on. Sorry about that, but anyways I just spoke to my husband and the sheds are on 4x6 treated skids so I think I will be able to move them around. Genie, thank you for your help!
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back