round worms

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishroots

Reaction score
I have a 7 month old foal that I have been worming since he was 1 month old. He is not a large foal, and going by my vet and other friends with mini's I was giving him enough for about 50 -75 lbs. the first 5 months. In November, I wormed him for 150# and 2 days later saw a large amount of round worms in his manure. I just wormed him again for 150# using Strongid again and 2 days later I see more round worms. Should I be worming him more often or do the 5 day purge (please explain what this is also). He is feeling great eats well, and plays hard with his stable mate. The stablemate is a weanling filly that i borrowed to have a playmate for him, and I wormed her the same time in November (right after she arrived)and she also had round worms, but when I wormed her again the same as my colt, I did not see any in her manure.

Please give my some advise to get him worm free. His mother is also getting wormed and have seen nothing in her manure. He has been weaned for 3 months now. Thanks

You're likely finding ascarids, very common in horses during their first year. Starting very early on, I de-worm every month until they are 12 months old on a rotational basis using the basic de-worming products. Parasites LOVE babies and can really drag them down. You can discuss this with your vet, of course, but this is what mine recommends as well.

Robin C

Latest posts

Back