First time owner

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeni&EllieMae

Reaction score
Hello, My mini Ellie Mae is supposed to be with foal but I cannot tell. She is 2 1/2 years old and was left in with a stallion mini Charlie and they saw him breed her all day one day. Then when I brought her home after 100 days did a pregnancy test and it was positive then 60 days later another positive pregnancy test. Last 2 I gave done negative. She should be just about 8 months. Round belly but not too round. I am not sure.

What kind of pregnancy test are you giving her? It's almost impossible to tell just from belly, especially this early and with a first time mom.

I'm not familiar with that, but it says it should be very accurate, particularly in late pregnancy. If the test is accurate, she may have lost it. Most people don't breed minis until they are 3 or over. Or you could have a surprise coming in a few months. You could always ask your vet about an ultrasound, or a blood test, but those aren't always accurate either. Finding out if your mini is pregnant can be very frustrating.

It is very hard to tell from pictures alone if a mare is in foal. From these pics I would think not in foal but maidens can hide it well. Do you have a vet that can US her? With her age and as a maiden I would encourage you to make sure you are there when she foals if she is in foal to make sure all goes well.

Latest posts

Back