Ron's horse harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is just my opinion but I think the saddle on this one is too big, heavy, wide. I would go with the prestige. http://www.ronshorseharness.com/products/Prestige-Miniature-Harness.html

I do not have a harness from Ron's so I'm just going by the picture. Hope that helps.
default_smile.png

I have owned both his A sized and B sized harness. They are excellent quality for the price and can be adjusted a lot to work for all sizes of minis. I personally liked the big horse quality saddle. There is plenty of padding under it to make your horse comfortable with it. It's a great harness for everyday use and I showed in it for 3 years, and never got marked down for it not being showy enough because it is plain but excellent quality. That's my two cents. I can send you pics of my minis wearing it if you'd like to see it being used.

Ya I would love to see it in use. We are looking for a stockier 36" mini and it will mostly be used on trail and up and down the road. I'm not worried about it not being showy since we will prob only be doing one or two shows a year. Mostly looking for comfort and durability to carry my daughter over the river and through the woods and where ever else she dreams of.

We have the mini pairs harness with collars/hames. I agree Ron's harness makes a good product for the price. We have found tho that they are a bit tough to downsize if you have very small minis like we do. We are considering switching from the collars to the breast plate harness instead as the collars are really hard to fit on our 30" boys.

It comes with a removable britching which I took off for showing, but used when tooling around the back roads.

Adultroadster.jpg

P1016182.jpg

Here's one with the britching attached.

Picture159.jpg

These were taken back when I just started in the mini driving so the fit is not quite right, I've gotten better since then, but it will give you an idea of the look/quality.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the pics. It looks pretty good. Has to be better then my last one I got at auction 15 years ago, but it has lasted me this long.

I have a harness from Ron's for my mini and I love it. They are well made and the people are very helpful. I also had one for my Haflinger.

The harness likes very nice on weerunners mini so maybe it's not as bulky as it looks in the ad.
default_smile.png

I actually kinda like the look of the Prestige! Much as I like a good wide carriage harness style saddle I've always thought the Ron's one the OP shows in her first link was a bit thick and lacked elegance. The Prestige however appears well-padded (very well-padded!) but fairly refined. For the price it might be worth a try although I'd ask for real buckles instead of Conways. Ick!

Reignmaker Miniatures said:
We have the mini pairs harness with collars/hames. I agree Ron's harness makes a good product for the price. We have found tho that they are a bit tough to downsize if you have very small minis like we do. We are considering switching from the collars to the breast plate harness instead as the collars are really hard to fit on our 30" boys.
Can you post pictures of the pairs harness on your horses? I'm curious what it looks like in use, especially with the collars.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't have any very good ones. This pair is just getting started as a pair, up until this spring they have been learning their job as single drivers. These are a couple of pictures from this weekend, the first time they have been harnessed together. They did very well and our next step is to put them to the wagon and begin the actual process of teaching them to work together. We were very pleased with them in ground driving tho. Happy to be side by side, their stride length is identical and in fact at a trot when viewed from the side it looks like one pair of legs rather than 2. We have removed traces for the ground driving (they attach with snaps to the hames) which also changes the look somewhat but maybe you can get an idea of how this harness looks. The geldings in the picture are full brothers,one year apart in age and 30.25". Excuse their unkempt appearance, the pics were unplanned and this time of year leaves much to be desired for showing our horses at their best. And yes the one gelding is F.A.T.he is a challenge to feed and has actually lost about a third of the weight he was carrying.

LOL, OK, so I think thats enough disclaimers
default_wink.png
hope the pictures help a little.

P5010226.JPG

P5010228.JPG

The only conway buckle on my harness from Ron's is where the crupper attaches to the saddle. All the rest are regular buckles.

hmmm, ours has conways in most places. They are a complete PITA but when I ordered the harness I never even gave something as mundane as buckles a thought
default_sad.png
In future I would actually ask for regular buckles wherever possible but live and learn.

Thank you for the pictures, ReignMaker! Your boys are darling. It looks like the collars are possibly a little narrower front-to-back than the ones I've seen, which is good. You said your kids are 30"? How wide does the top of the collar measure? I'm trying to figure out if they would work okay on my 33.5" horses.

Leia

Thank you for the compliment Leia,these are actually my husband horses, he wanted to drive a pair so he had me find him a matched set and then start them a few years ago. I was wrong when I said this was the first time they'd been together. I forgot we hitched them once before for a photo shoot. They stood with a header on each horse and someone in the driver's seat holding the reins. Pics were taken then they were untacked and that was that lol. First time they were asked to move together tho. I think they look like little belgians so I hope to be able to do the rosettes in their mane and tail just for a laugh when hubby is ready to take them out in public.

I'm not really sure what measurement but these are 14"collars (measured from top to bottom inside) just a bit under 8" at the widest point and teardrop shaped. The collar is aprox. 3.5" thick. Just a note, these collars are actually too big for Red and Zeke. of the 2 Zeke's fits the best since he is the thicker (nice way of saying that he's fat ;) ) of the 2 and has quite a heavy neck. If you look closely you can see Red's bridle is also actually 2 big for him. The blinkers sit too low on his face
default_sad.png
, he has a very tiny head and we may have to get a headstall custom made for him or use the one from his single harness which doesn't look as good. If there is any other measurement you'd like me to get let me know. I have a room in my house for tack so it is no trouble to trot down stairs and check it out
default_smile.png

14" collars for 30" horses??
default_new_shocked.gif
Good lord, my 33.5" guy was swimming in a 12" one! I thought 14" was pony sized.
default_unsure.png

Leia

Yes, you're quite right. The horses should be wearing a 12 and a 13"(amazing what a difference an inch or 2 makes) I am sure of the size they should be because we've tried them in those sizes. However, for what ever reason the harness came with the 14" collars (I suspect I measured incorrectly when we first ordered the harness) Even with the smaller collars tho the fit is off somehow for these guys. They have rather short thick necks and they are so small that it is hard to make the collars sit right, which is why we are considering switching to a breast plate type and working with the maker to be sure it is fitted for them. I had heard that fitting these small ones was a greater challenge than with the larger horses, seems to be holding true in our case at least. I don't think tho that you can actually say a measurement is pony sized or horse sized etc., each horse will be unique and their collars won't likely be interchangeable even with another of similar height and build. For me it has been a case of the more I think I know the more I find I have to learn tho. I thought I had some understanding of driving horses and their tack (at least the basics) but pairs driving is a whole new thing and I feel like a beginner again(which I am of course)

14" collars for 30" horses??
default_new_shocked.gif
Good lord, my 33.5" guy was swimming in a 12" one! I thought 14" was pony sized.
default_unsure.png

Leia
default_laugh.png

Yes, I was that shocked when I bought my first collar and hames (13") from a lady that used it on her 29" mare...and it FIT her...yet was a bit loose and needed padding to fit my 33.75" mare. Some of those little guys are very drafty; and yes, I love that these wee guys look like little Belgians.
default_wub.png

(amazing what a difference an inch or 2 makes) They have rather short thick necks and they are so small that it is hard to make the collars sit right, which is why we are considering switching to a breast plate type and working with the maker to be sure it is fitted for them. I had heard that fitting these small ones was a greater challenge than with the larger horses, seems to be holding true in our case at least. I don't think tho that you can actually say a measurement is pony sized or horse sized etc., each horse will be unique
It is amazing what a difference a 1/4" makes in minis! That is why I am not a fan of "off the rack" harnesses for minis. Minis put up with a lot more ill-fitting equipment than their big horse counterparts.
default_no.gif

I don't think that the demand for true properly fitting mini collars is there, yet. They all seem to be too big width-wise (like from front to back, not side to side). I wonder if harness makers are still using horse-size forms and just trying to scale them down length wise. And then when you add the hames, a lot of minis seem to be "dragged down" by the weight. When we put collars and hames on Alax and Skippy, their necks just seemed to "collaspe" under the weight, and we got looks of "are you kidding me?" If the collars set back on their shoulders more, I think that would be solved, but then the width (depth) needs to be more shallow.

There is so much to collar fit, that I know I can't explain it in a post. I can see when one fits and when one doesn't, but I don't know how to verbalize it, especially when I haven't seen one I like on a mini.

Myrna

Latest posts

Back