Roadster versus Open movement

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k9mini2

Reaction score
I saw some very nice photos on another post regarding a couple of different trot for pleasure versus country pleasure. IT made me think about the roadsters versus the open horses.

I saw a horse that showed in the regionals who was shown in both. I thought it took a totally different horse to do roadster versus Open. Can someone show me the difference and explain what it takes to be in roadster versus open?

I absolutely love roadster class to watch and have often thought that someday I might enjoy having a roadster horse.

I'm no expert at all (having driven only country pleasure at this point) but it seems to me that in roadster you're just asking the horse to move differently. They need that same scopey movement and lift to the shoulder to be able to really extend and reach for an animated and fast road gait. Not that you can actually tell the difference between the road gait and the others in many of those classes, but hey....
default_unsure.png
:

I'm not saying that a country horse couldn't do it, just that the difference between roadster and pleasure is more in the way you drive them than in the kind of horse you're asking to do it. Country and single pleasure are supposed to be different kinds of movers entirely. And there are horses in both categories who are more suited to roadster than others.

Clear as mud?
default_wacko.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Leia

A road horse has THREE distinct transitions in their trot. The jog, the working trot and then your all out drive on. A lot of people put their horses in roadster but the horse does not do the distinct transition. Once you have seen the transitions you will understand. Linda B

A road horse has THREE distinct transitions in their trot. The jog, the working trot and then your all out drive on. A lot of people put their horses in roadster but the horse does not do the distinct transition. Once you have seen the transitions you will understand.
Where we show mostly using Equine Canadian rules, our horses have to produce four trots. Jog trot, working trot, collected trot, and trot on. The trot on, or road trot, isn't always asked for in a pleasure class...but we have some judges who will ask for it, and as it is in the rulebook, we have to leave enough trot in the horse, to produce it.
default_yes.gif
: This makes our jog trot, very nice and slow...similar to a western horse's jog. if you ask for, and allow too much extension and or speed at that first trot...you will blow the last one, because it just won't be there.

Any "type" of moving horse can show in Roadster (this is from my experience in AMHR) because it is open to Country, Pleasure, and Park moving horses. As brought up before, it is the DIFFERENT trots that the judge is "supposed to" look for. Most judges just pick the horse that is most impressive at the TROT ON though in my opinion. It's okay if your horse breaks a little bit, they are supposed to be excited and really turned on in the ring for that class. I love the class, it's really an opportunity to see that "extra" gait at the trot with super extension, because in regular AMHR classes your horse is supposed to be very collected even at the extended trot, and "excessive speed is to be penalized".

My gelding was shown in Roadster at this past Nationals for his first time... he was a bit confused the first couple of classes (trot MORE than my extended trot??? you mean CANTER maybe mom???) but by our last class in Ladies Roadster he really figured it out and was trying hard to keep up with the other horses in the ring and was having so much fun we got a Top Ten out of maybe thirty horses in the class. I think a Roadster horse must truly LIKE going fast, it is very evident in the ring.

Good luck and have fun !!!!!!!!!!

Andrea

Here is a colt (soon to be gelding in two weeks) that will go Open Pleasure, though I think he might have the possiblity to cross enter into roadster too- he has good extension and does have several speeds/breaks to him........in a few years might even go park with him will have to see.

These were last summer he was only a yearling like a year and a half old...........he is a two year old this year, so this fall I can't wait to get used to things to get ready for 07! I am very excitied about his possiblities when he hits the ring driving.

Here is Jessie - all natural, just out goofing around. He has never had a thing done to him other than his upkeep, care and he leads - can't wait to see what some training can add to him.

f2c57171.jpg

f2c570dc.jpg

f2c57181.jpg

f2c5710d.jpg

f2c570ef.jpg

f2c57138.jpg

Wow, Erica, that is some gelding...how tall is he?

:new_shocked:

Just think he's amazing!

I don't have anything useful to add to this thread, just appreciate that it is here for my own education and enjoyment.
default_smile.png

Liz

He is going to finish out a small B I would say he is only about 34-35" now as a two year old. Thinking he will be about 35-36, unless he really grows here soon.

Actually the correct gaits (as described in the AMHR rule book & as called for in all open roadster classes here) are jog trot, road gait & 'drive on'. A working trot isn't really the same as a road gait...

Minimor you are right it is road gait. I hear so many variations of things sometimes I forget what I'm thinking! Once you see the transitions though you know EXACTLY what they are. I see some horses also do country or pleasure but I only show my roadster in roadster classes cause he is just way to fast to settle for anything else and he loves it. Linda B

Thanks Erica for the great photos. I think I understand about the transitions now that you and the others have mentioned it.

I had just always thought like Linda B said that a Roadster horse was pretty much exclusive to Roadster. But what I have read here so far it would appear there are some horses who can tell the difference and adapt to the class.

thanks for the responses, I may venture into the roadster class one of these days. I know I will always find it my favorite driving class to watch. It is a fun class !

It does take a speedy horse for roadster! My gelding is (was) a roadster horse, but he's an athlete. I could pick him up and do single pleasure or slow him down (that was the big challenge!) for country. Before they made is so you couldn't cross enter, he once won Grand Champion in all three driving divisions!

Image is more of a "long low" mover, possibly more aimed toward country than single, but if I asked him to move up in the bridle he could pick those knees up and compete in single ... and to be honest, it was easier than not letting him go too fast in country!

rd04-11-19.jpg

Just warming up here ... and actually, I scratched him on this day because he was lame.

Most horses DO compete in both their regular driving classes AND roadster. To help a horse differentiate, you enter the ring the "wrong way" (clockwise). Also, some people I've heard check their horses down a notch or two (if it's a pleasure or park horse) and don't collect them up as much... the horses understand the excitement of really turning it on too. It's fun
default_yes.gif
:

Andrea

Sorry for the confusion but I do believe certain horses CAN do roadster and other driving classes its just that MY particular horse can't walk and chew bubblegum. He can only focus on one thing at a time or he gets a severe brain cramp! I have one little gelding that my daughter will be showing in country and roadster [not speedy but absolutely SAFE]. She is determined to drive roadster and this is the perfect horse for her to start. He has three speeds at the trot but I really doubt he will pass anybody. Driving a really good road horse is the most fun ever though! Linda B

Oh Kendra, what a pretty picture, I love that horse. and that is just a warm up :new_shocked:

really
default_yes.gif
:

Linda B I think I understand, some horses just can make the connetction and some can't. My husband trains riding horses (or used to now just does ours) Some just amaze you and how quick the catch on to something different, others are like tunnel vision they do one thing and one thing well nothing else.

There are some very nice moving horses already posted :aktion033: Here are a couple of our mares - shown going in the same direction- moving naturally in the pasture to better show the contrast -

Here is Bunny - Open Pleasure - you'll notice the balanced knee and hock action both front and back. Unfortunately she does not have the speed to show in roadster

bunny0503_small.jpg

Next is a mare who is very, very fast and comes up off of the ground about a foot when she trots - this is

Kewpie Doll Cutie

cutie0501_small.jpg

very very pretty Getitia, I always wondered if the Kewpie bloodlines were good movers

Latest posts

Back