River Rose Farm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
Time for me to join the Auanties! I have one mare to foal out this year, FPF Payoffs Dutchess, LWO+. Bred to the stallion in my avatar, Lucky Four Sugar Boys Sundowner. I really didn't want to foal out any more as my arthritis is getting real bad, but I bred four mares to take to the Champion of Champions sale in Ohio this spring, only I found I couldn't let this precious, special mare go for a pitence. Anyhow, I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket, last time that I only had one mare to foal out it was a very bad dog sitting dystocia that even the vet couldn't save the foal. The mare lived, but only after a lot of time, TLC, and care. Anyhow I'm looking forward to this foal, as her last one in 2008 was AMHA Eastern Regional Champion weanling colt 28" and under, and multi color champion in both registries, and She and her foal were Reserve Champion mare & foal of current yr. I really want my daughter to show her for me or him. I'm a tru Marylander right now, we love steamed crabs, crab cakes and football, so I can't get any pictures today, but maybe tomorrow. Dutchess is 300 days today, and due the end of FEb. I already have the stall ready, camera up, and night light installed. Since we only have dial up here, I can't do marestare, I can only watch from home. I also have plenty of experience, she is right now a wide body, foal is still in the transferce position, and no bag is present. I'm going to post a pic of her taken just after breeding, and she has been sono'd. Wish me luck.

June2012004.jpg

woohooo another little one to watch and Oh My ! she is adorable...lol.. I love her colour and pretty face, I wouldnt have been able to let her go either ...welcome..xx

Welcome from Wales UK..shes a really pretty little girl..i will certainly be following for lots of udates n pictures as she progresses..congratulations and alll the very best for the future delivery

Great to have you back with us Terry - what a pretty girl! Looking forward to following her progress - my best wishes for a very special baby safely on the ground around end of February!
default_yes.gif

Hi Anna, yes it's been along time since we spoke. I haven't seen any posts from Eagle/Renee in a while, hope she is well.

Diane, hope you don't expect too many pictures as I only get dial up here in the boonies, and it takes forever for pics to load, but I'll do my best. I'm very experienced in the wonderful art of foaling out, but am losing strength, especially in my crippled right hand. Haven't had a babies here since 2010, because of the down market, and influx of horses. So this one will be for me and my duaghter to show, that is if I can sell one or two to pay for travel and entries. Hoping so. You asked for me to tell about myself, well, I'm retired, senior citizen, much better then the alternative, HAHA. We love to show our little ones, don't like to travel much anymore, cause there are so many nuttzy drivers out there. I love football, and yesterday was a good football day.

Anyhow if the sun comes up and warms things a bit, I'll try to get some wide body shots and an udder starting point. I'll check back in this afternoon, I'm really curious about one of the other mares in another thread, has me worried. Later.

100_1643_zps2099a560.jpg

100_1642_zps738e4de1.jpg

I had the worse time getting these two pics up. First I had to wait for her to get up from a nap, then the battery was dead when I went to take a pic, so had to get another one. Then they have a new version of photobucket, I clicked to go back to the old one, and had to tell them, I have dial up and the new one takes forever to load. Then my computer froze,
default_frusty.gif
Sorry, I'll try to get and udder shot tomorrow.

A little background on her first delivery for me. She was about 324 days along, udder was not big at all, small but firm. In fact it was so small I started to think there might have been fescue in the hay. The supplier asured me there wasn't. Anyhow, I had her under the camera anyway and on the night before she delivered I was watching her closely as we were having thunderstorms, even though it was early in the year for them, and she was very restless, pacing and nervous. We had a hoping tornado come through, we didn't lose electric and I could barely see her on the camera, as straw & hay was swirling around the stall. She was running around the stall. The run-in shed she is standing behind in the side shot was picked up and thrown into the maternity paddock, but she was locked in the stall, luckily. Then it touched down again in the big horse pasture and toppled three very large oat trees, tore fences down in the stallion paddock and all the horses were in a frenzy. I woke evryone in the house that slept through it, most were up, but hubby can sleep through a bomb. We all had to go out in the pouring rain, get mares into the big barn since their shed was torn up, get the stallion up to the in-door since his fences were tore down, and try to calm everyone down. The next night when I put her in she was acting normal but around 10 she started pacing, squirreling her tail and getting up and down, I woke hubby and my barn help, and while we were having coffee she went down and started with contractions. I got to the barn first, bubble was present, then one foot, then the nose, but only one foot after three contractions. I got her halter on her quick, had my helper and hubby get her up, and walk her, then I scrubbed and went in. The foals left front leg was back and stuck. Once I released it we let her go down, and the little guy was here.

This is his picture as a yearling. River Rose Storm Chaser

100_0835.jpg

That's a perfect little tummy showing in her pictures Terry, and that great save with the last birth certainly resulted in a gorgeous colt.
default_yes.gif

I know what you mean about photobucket changing - get very muddled myself, so much so that I now use the direct 'computer to post' method here on LB. Perhaps you could try it too?

The weather man is such a liar! He said it was going to be sunny and warm today, so I made so many plans. Well it's drizzling and damp, not to cold but not sunny at all, still in the fog. I did get Dutchess' stall stripped today and disinfected, was also hoping to get her washed up, girl parts, but it's too damp. I suppose there is always tomorrow. No signs of udder development, tail head is still tight, and girl parts still small. Maybe this foal will wait till it is really due and not be early and surprise me.

It's till raining and dreary here, and colder, but I'm gratful that it isn't snowing. Lots of standing water, and mud. Dutchess is the same, foal is still sidways, no udder development at all, which is good since she still has a month to go before her due date. I saw that Katie had her foal, but with my dial up I couldn't upload the large pictures. Going to town today and try to buy a wireless router, if it isn't too expensive, so maybe I can view pictures when I get home.

Well, I didn't get to town today, it's still raining and I didn't want to chance getting horse feed wet. The rain is supposed to change to snow this evening, and more tomorrow, so the computer might need to wait until Fri. Anyhow, I'm enjoying everyone elses foals.

Just an update, Dutchess is still the same as far as foaling signs, foal is still sidways, transferse, no udder development, no softning, girl parts still tight and small. The only thing that has me concerned is that she wouldn't come into her stall to eat this morning, I had to drag her feed/hay tub outside for her to eat. I think something must have spooked her in the barn last night. She still didn't eat all of it, but sometimes they will eat until full, as the foal is large, then go back. She usually lays down at 11 for a nap, but not today, it's like she's on guard. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you for the concern, yes she is back to her fat, hungry self, but she still doesn't want to stay in the stall, I think something spooked her. As long as I can keep the feed bucket outside, without rain, she'll eat just fine. It may snow tonight, so I'm going to put it back in the stall and see if she'll go in, if she doesn't, then I'll put it under the barn roof overhang.

I typed out a whole bunch and it dissapeared while I was trying to post pictures, so I'll put the pictures up first then type and see if that works.

100_1646.jpg
100_1644.jpg

Latest posts

Back