RIP Midnight and Billy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight star stables

Reaction score
Today Midnight was euthanized. His health has been failing the past two years and it is clear that another winter is not in his best interest. The vet put Midnight on “palliative” care for the summer, and advised euthanasia before winter. Midnight’s companion of 25 years, Billy, was also euthanized after our vet recommendation. It was for his sanity and quality of life, but made this entire situation so much more complex. Midnight is 30 and Billy is 28. I knew this time was coming but time flies and reality hits so hard sometimes. I am finding today extremely hard to deal with. For those who don’t know my Midnight, he’s been a beloved pet all my life and got me hooked on the minis. Many also know him as my trick horse.

When my first horse had to be put down, Midnight was there and he helped me cope. He was there to share my hopes, dreams and childhood life. It’s going to be hard to manage without.

He was with me through good and bad times. He was my first “show horse” and I got my first ribbon with him – a 4th place in showmanship at a local fair. I also got my first 1st place ribbon with him in a breed show. He was conformationally miniature perfection, years before his time. He was my first mount many years ago too. I trained him to drive myself, and he became my first driving horse – and he was always patient and trustworthy. He was the first horse I clipped and we used to go on many long trail walks for hours at a time. We had picnics and I spent hours with him. I had trained him to master every trick in the book, from counting and bucking, to rearing and playing dead. He was my first horse to long-line and lunge. He was my first jumping horse, and cleared 54" back in the day. Midnight was a master of all trades and my best friend. He made school visits, parades, and was an educator to many. He also led me to Joy, my first miniature horse purchase. I think I took his gifts for granted many times.

This horse encouraged me in so many ways. I truly think he understood me better then I understood myself at times. He helped me be a better person and lead me to many great friends with the mini people.

It’s hard to know that I can no longer put my arms around him. I don’t know how to express my love and gratitude for my old boy, but I know I am going to really miss him. I am thankful for my other “kids” as they really help.

Midnight:

Midnightstricks044.jpg

(Don't talk during photos):

Midnightstricks024.jpg

drivin.jpg

Fredscard015.jpg

Midnight and Billy yesterday:

M01.jpg

default_crybaby.gif
:CryBaby
default_crybaby.gif

Edited to change pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry. Death is difficult but no alternative.

So happy they gave you and each other so much happiness!

Lildrummer

Awwww... I'm so sorry but sometimes doing the right thing is not the easy thing.

What a touching tribute to two well-loved horses! Give your horses an extra hug tonight, they will help you!

So sorry for your losses today,

Andrea

Teary eyed. So sorry as these descions are hard to make and harder to "get thru" sometimes. Just believe that you did the right thing for them because you loved them. Go hug your others.

I am very sorry to read this. Hugs to you this day! And don't mind me for going and crying now.

Im so sorry
default_sad.png
Midnight sounded like a very special guy. I know its so hard, but you did the right thing for both of them. Its so great to hear of horses being so loved and so well takn care of.

Desiree so sorry for your lose. Just remeber all the wonderful times you have spent with both of them. Take Care Frannie

I am so sorry, and having gone through the same thing myself this year I can honestly say I know how deeply it hurts to say goodbye, even when it's the right time. They're crossing rainbow bridge together, and you'll always be able to tell yourself that you did right by them - that they knew they were loved to the very end of their long lives.

Godspeed Midnight and Billy.

Your words made me cry - what a beautiful tribute to your horses. I hope it brought you some comfort to share this with us. You made a tough decision, one that was best for your animals if hard for you. Thankfully you have a lifetime of memories with both horses to hold on to.

My mini, Ollie, crossed the bridge on Monday. I'd like to think he was there to greet Midnight and Billy.

Giant hugs to you.

(((Hugs))) I know how hard it is. You must be walking around with a big hole in your heart.

There are two positives -- Midnight and Billy didn't suffer nor will they be in discomfort this winter. Plus, they are TOGETHER in younger Spirit bodies running and romping in that amazing green valley on the Other Side. I've seen it in dreams and in other times and KNOW our beloved four legged ones are in a joyful place.

And yes, you will see them again.
default_yes.gif

Blessings, Ma---

I am so sorry. We always wonder how we'll know when it's Time, whether we're doing the right thing, and it's so hard to make that decision and follow through with it. The grief we feel is how we honor their memory...pain is the price of love but it's so worth it. I'm sorry that today you've been hit doubly hard and my prayers are with you for peace for you and your horses.

((hugs))

Leia

I am so very sorry for your losses...I know how hard it is to have to make that decision, but know it is always what is best for them.....just doesn't ever make it any easier!!
default_sad.png

Your story brought back memorys of my barrel horse that passed 4 yrs ago. She got cancer and when she passed it almost killed me. I had her for 15 yrs and she was my baby. I so loved Toby. She had a colt a yr before she died and I still have him and he will never leave. He so reminds me of Toby. My heart goes out to you and i know your hurting but in time things will be better. It just takes time. Hugs!

I appreciate all your thoughtful compassion. Having never had to actually witness a euthanasia before, made this challenging. Not having any family to help, but rather the vet and his assistant, makes it harder to cope after the fact. I'm still just waiting for my step-dad Joe, and my Mom to get home, so that we can move them. I know I had to be strong for my Midnight and Billy, and I know I was able to be there for them - especially Midnight, like he has been there for me in the past. It is still extremely hard knowing that I did the right thing, as holding his head as he passed just made me crumble apart inside. I thank you all for the support, because I couldn't imagine going through this alone.

Ljc, my heart goes out for you. It must be hard to loose one so young. I pray for Ollie and your other kid too.

Latest posts

Back