Rip Ladybug

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

ladybug_and_payton

Went and feed my little ones this morning. All was fine she was fighting me like she all ways did she was a little stinker. I went on to work my husband work up 2 hours later went to check on her she was on her side barley breathing. He called me and a vet. But by the time i got home she had done passed. We got ahold of the vet he turned around and said he would be back later today to check her colt later to make sure he was not sick. The vet is not really sure what happend. She had went down with colic several months ago and recovred from that fine. Then had a bad case of wet poop. Which with the help of al of you changing her food helped that. I am just really at a lost. The vet thinks the baby could have had something wrong with it like an infection that caused her to go down.

Now i am worried cause she was pregnant due in june and had a little stud colt with her all ready about 8 months old. Who has never been with out her. I am worried about him freaking out over this.

Just really dont know what to do.

377650_2720285243671_1153247705_3233263_689289774_n.jpg

I am so sorry for your loss - your heart must be broken right now. The little colt at 8 months should be fine physically, but he will certainly miss (and mourn) his mama. You might want to consider getting him a companion as soon as you can - an older gelding (miniature, of course) is often a wonderful match for a youngster.

In the meantime, make sure he's in a safe area and give him lots of attention. And if he does seem to 'freak out', contact your vet and see what options you may have medically to help him stay calm and cope. Give him time to mourn Ladybug - even to the point of sniffing her body to understand that she's gone - horses definitly mourn when a herdmate dies.

I hope your vet is able to determine what happened to Ladybug. I think we can all empathize with you on losing a beloved horse so suddenly. It's happened at one time or another to just about everyone who loves horses. You're in my prayers during this sad time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Ladybug. It is so, so hard, I know.

Hugs to you and her little colt.

So sorry for your loss. It is so hard. I am sending prayers and good thoughts for the little guy to get past this without problems.

Oh so sorry, so hard to loose a horse,

He will be fine. keep us updated on your little colt.
default_wub.png

Im so sorry for your loss ,when one of my animals dies I always leave the body there for a while so that they can say goodbye , at least then he wont be looking for her and will be quicker to settle , I agree get him a companion gelding

Sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png

When my maiden mare lost her 1st foal, I let it be for a couple of hrs so that way she could understand it had passed. After a few hrs went by, She finally walked away from her foal and went across the pasture to eat her breakfast with the rest of the mares. I noticed 1/2 way when she was walking away, she stopped and looked back once more, then went to her feed and moved on just like that. After that, I went and buried the body and she never looked for it as she know the foal was gone.

They know as long as you let them understand. Otherwise I agree, get him a companion and hope all goes well.

The vet just left he said there was somthing wrong with the baby. She had went into early labor the colt was not due until april. She just had to many problems. He said even if we would have found her sooner. There was nothing we could have done.

thank you all for your replies.

So sorry for your loss......one of our neighbors got their colt a pet goat. Seemed to help him.

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear this. I agree in giving the colt time to mourn, and just give him some extra attention. He will be ok. Hugs to you!

Oh I'm so very sorry for your loss. ((((HUGS)))) to you and your little colt.

RIP Ladybug - you will be greatly missed.

So sorry to hear about your beloved Ladybug. Do you have another horse available to use for a friend?

Latest posts

Back