Ring worm????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BM Miniatures

Reaction score
Just clipped my weanling filly out and she is covered in bald patches. The skin is smooth, no scabs I can see......

I first thought it could be my 2month old colt foal she was paddocked with as I have seen him biting her and pulling on her coat.

Here are a few pictures.

P3060061.jpg

P3060055.jpg

P3060087.jpg

It is hard to say from a photo but i don't think it is ringworm, I had it when I was a kid and it was totally round. Sorry I am not much help
saludando.gif

I do not think it is ring worm. It would be raised just a bit. No, ring worm does not have to be totally round. But to me, in these pictures, this looks like kicks and bites. I could be wrong. It couldn't hurt to use a bit of anti-fungal cream or spray on it. But. I think if you separate them the bite marks will go away.

she is separated now from the little toad and in a stable, will give her a wash with vetadine shampoo or another anti fungal wash we have here and see if the hair starts growing back..

no it is not ringworm, ringworm is usually circular shaped, scabby and you see it more often on the face, that looks kind of like the other horse is pulling the hair out,

could be whats left of rain scald , (nice filly!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the vetadine wash, and maybe some MTG after just on the spots. She is super cute!
default_smile.png

Not sure what it is from here, but it appears to be healing.

Ringworm can look like any skin disease and should never be ruled out before a culture.

Dr Taylor

Get some MTG. That stuff is AWESOME! I use it on my Shepherd as she gets the occasional hot spot. Clears it up within a week.

I would not rule out ringworm. as Dr.Taylor said, without a culture it can not be identified.Eqyss Micro Tek spray or gel works wonders on a slurry of skin irritations. We use to use this years ago on our black lab when he had a bout of ringworm, I believe he may have been on an oral med too, so many years ago, I can't quite remember. I have continued to use eqyss for any mild skin irritations, scratches or scrapes on my horses ever since.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks everyone! Vet came out, its not ring worm, but rain scaled, she has new hair growing on the spots already, we have had wet humid weather here the past few weeks and she had a super thick foal coat so it was ideal conditions for it to do damage, so clipping her off was the best way for it to dry out and start the healing process.

I have never had rain-scaled on any of our foals before so it was quite a shock to see this as I was clipping the coat off!

I've had a couple recently that looked very similar, one with bald weeping places on his face and one with about 20 very circular spots on her back. The stallion's came up when the weather was miserably cold and I know it was worse because I didn't see it for awhile through the hair. I had to shave his face and keep him in the barn while it was cold....and then strip and spray down the stall, sterilize his halter, etc. The mare wasn't anywhere close to him. She was in a group of five mares and is the only one who had it, so I'm guessing maybe her immune system was a little compromised. I've treated them both with a medicated shampoo and silver sulfadiazanine (think that's it) cream and it is all healing well now. My small animal vet said they have seen a lot of it this year.

Jan

Back