Research Project - Assistance needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeside

Reaction score
I am conducting a research project for my local county extension agent on existing equine stable regulations. I need by law examples from different communities that impact horse keeping. Anything from minimum acreage, paddock size, manure management, fly control, and number of animals per acre is needed. Specifically, we are looking for the any by law language that speaks of animals by unit (lbs per acre), not just numerical values. This is of particular importance to miniature horse owners, as we all know you can keep more minis on one acre than you can draft horses! It would also be helpful to know if your community has little or no restrictions as well.

This information will be used to develop town by laws in Massachusetts. Currently, many towns are proposing very restrictive by laws with little knowledge of the topic they are trying to regulate. The impact of some of these proposals could spell the end of keeping a few horses in your backyard in our area.

I need actual copies of the regulations. Links to the appropriate sections of your town or city website would be much appreciated. Telephone numbers to your Town or City Hall would be great too. Information can be sent to [email protected], or feel free to post your information here for others to learn from.

Thanks in advance for your help.

This isn't local code but we have had several restricted developments put in to their restrictions that 3 miniatures equal 1 average sized horse. The numbers per acre themselves would not do you much good since that varies according to ground and soil type. Where we are in central Ohio grazing loads are about 1 average sized horse per acre. In NC where our land is located, it is usually 1 average sized horse per two acres.

Good luck!

I have never seen anything anywere that referred to pounds per acre.

The only time I have run into anything "LAW" or a restrictive ordinance was when we were going to buy a 5 acre tract in Tennessee and the developer had restricted the land to 1 acre per horse. A mini didn't make any difference in that matter. I have always thought of rule of thumb, maybe an "unwritten law" would be 1 horse per acre.

I usually think that 4 average size minis = 1 average size horse by the way.

Good luck on your research. Doesn't sound like an easy task.

I am in Idaho and it is pretty non restricted at this point. I know in Washington alot of towns had 1 horse per acre guidlines.......

I think you will be really hard pressed to find anything based on AU stocking densities as that is so variable depending on soil, water source, grass type ect.......

now all that said ...maybe contact farm service and nrcs in your area and see if they have stocking density guidlines for the specific area you are talking about. Also Nrcs can help you design and implement solutions to manure management, groundwater, runoff, soil conservation etc.........if this is an area that has been rural/farm oriented then the local farm service and usda should be more than willing to assist.......

The Land Use Bylaw for my area talks about Animal Units. It doesn't distinguish between miniatures and full size horses, but here is the link, in case you want to look at it anyway:

MD of Rockyview Land Use Bylaw

In our area the "animal units" guidline is in pounds. You can have 1 one thousand pound animal per acre. A friend went before her town board and they said 4 minis would be equal to one full size horse.

When we sold our house in Cass Co. Missouri in 2001 the new owners were told only 1 horse per 5 acres or 2 acres per mini.

In a village I previously lived in, you had to have a minumim of 3 acres to have any horses. There wasn't a limit on the number of horses or anything; the only requirement was you had to have at least 3 acres.

I don't have any of their contact info for you though...sorry.

Thank you for the replies so far. They are helpful.

The essence behind the problem here is nitrogen loading. Groundwater contamination is a serious problem given that the area has a sole source aquifer.

The federal government (USDA/NRCS) defines farm critters in terms of animal units. The general concensus is that one horse equals 1000 lbs. All of their manure management models are based off of that number. The same goes for grazing densities.

The problem, in some cases, lies with the town who are regulating horse keeping based on emotional issues, not science. There are a couple of cases where towns have passed an ordinance prohibiting stable owners from stacking manure for more than one week. The cost of trucking manure off the farm on a weekly basis may not be that high for a one or two horse operation, but it is outrageous for the couple of 15+ horse stable that are trying to operate in that particular community.

As I understand it, the regulations were enacted because two neighbors got into an argument over where the manure pile was located. The end result is very poor for the rest of the equine community.

There is another town that tried to pass regulations on minimum stall size, paddock size, ceiling height, etc. At first glance, it was great. However, after reading the regs, it became clear there were no variances for smaller equines. I am sure my horses would have loved a 12 X 12 stall, but having the window at a height of 7 feet was a little crazy.
wacko.gif

There are people who believe that a horse pooping in its paddock is going to have a serious negative environmental impact. Local and state environmental groups have established acceptable nitrogen output. Some feel that even if you have a compost facility, the amount of poop that lands on the ground each day will cause a nitrogen overload. I also think they need to be looking at failed septic systems and lawn fertilzer applications as well, but I guess it is easier to pick on the minority animal owners versus the wealthy land owners.

Sorry to ramble on. If your still with me,
rolleyes.gif
essentially we are looking for guidance from other communities where animal units have been used to write the regs.

Thanks again.

so now I am confused are you trying to figure the number of AU for a miniature?....I know thanks research I have been doing the last two weeks that on and AU exchange basis 1 cow = 8-10 ewes (depending on breed)....I believe the total lb's used per AU was 1200lbs.......

I would think NRCS would be able to help you with the issue of nitrogen/manure issues (I agree the straight nitrogen used as fert on lawns is definately more threat to ground water than a manure pile)

now you have my interest peaked I am off to do some more research.

I am in the city of Burbank, which is zoned equestrian. I checked their website and they do have a list of rules, but it is currently being reviewed and is not available.

What I do know is that we are zoned for 2 horses per lot. They do not care if it's a full size draft or a mini. 4 hooves = 1 horse. Nursing babies do not count. There are also laws regarding the distance that the stables must be from the house, but again, that information is not accessible right now.

Hope this helps!

Liz R.

In our town of Franklin, MA we don't have a limit as to the number of horses we have. We have to get our yearly stable permit renewed and the animal control officer drops by once a year to check the place out.

Basically as long as we have a stable permit, keep things clean and neat and don't become a nucense to the neighbors we are ok. We put in a stockade fence around thier part of the yard and have signs posted about "equine professional is not lible due to hazards of equine interaction" or something like that
smile.gif

Tammie

Last edited by a moderator:
Tammie - Do you know if Franklin posts its animal regs on the web? I have just about googled myself out. I have only been able to find a couple of Mass examples online.

Runamuk - No, we have the AU down, now we are trying to find examples of towns who have used AU as a basis for their horse regs. There seems to be a big disconnect between the way the feds do things, and the way the local towns use that data. I am finding that there is little to no communication -- at least in my area.

I have a BS in Range Science, so most of my college education was based on an Animal Units and land impact; etc, etc, etc.

Classically an Animal Unit is a cow/calf pair (cow = 1000#).

Sheep = .2 AU (5 sheep per AU - assuming 150# ewe)

3+ year old Horse = 1.25 AU (less than one horse per AU due to the different eating habits - doesn't specify weight of horse, but assuming 1000# horse)

2 year old Horse = 1.00 AU

Yearling Horse = .75 AU

[information from MT ST U Ext Service Bulletin #EB101 @ 1991]

Leeside said:
Tammie - Do you know if Franklin posts its animal regs on the web?  I have just about googled myself out.  I have only been able to find a couple of Mass examples online.

500062[/snapback]

I looked too and didn't have any luck. Only thing I could find was a note to contact Board of Health for animal keeping issues. I believe when I first applied for a permit they just handed me a xerox copy of a two page list of can/cannot have in regards to animals. I dont' have my copy anymore - got my copy over seven years ago. I would think they could fax it to you or mail it if you called.
smile.gif

Tammie

Portland, Oregon, has its livestock rules on the internet at

http://www.portlandonline.com/index.cfm?c=28228#cid_13469

Livestock may be kept within the city limits by permit, so long as they are in a fenced area no closer than 50 feet from any house. The applicant must in writing all notify neighbors within 200 feet, but it is up to any neighbors to protest...they must take the initiative. They want to see a plan for dealing with manure, but do not specify what that is.

(I've always composted and used the manure in our gardens. I figured that if anyone ever complained to me about smell, I'd go out and buy chicken manure -- let them get a whiff of that! Just kidding...I asked our neighbors to let us know if it ever smelled or if they got any flies. Nobody ever did.)

We got our permit, but were told that we didn't need it for minis -- the City of Portland does not consider them to be livestock, although this is never mentioned. I haven't read this entire section recently, but I don't recall that they mention units, animals per acre, or anything like that. I believe they just take everything on a case by case basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check with Mass. farm Bureau. They should be on top of all issues and I believe Mass has a "right to farm law" that helps protect agriculture. This usually keeps towns/cities from creating rules that elimates or severly restricts agriculture.

Good Luck

Mark

I know! I know! I just called Marion Co. Fl. Code Enforcement to check on this one. A horse is a horse is a horse... no difference per mini or pony or Clyde... (not fair huh). In a residential neighborhood that is zoned R with horses, you are allowed one horse per gross acre of land. If you get it zoned Argri... you are allowed 4 horses per acre.

What cracks me up, is, if you build a barn, you have to be 25 feet from any property line, and it has to be Zoned residential... (here's where it gets goofy). If you have "R" zoning and are allowed one horse per acre, you can build a "personal horse storage facility" eight feet from any property line, and you can not call it a barn! ROFL...

So.. in 2006.. I'm building a horse storage facility... (not a barn), and then going for the rezoning for the Argi zoning.. and then I can call it a "BARN!" If you build a "personal horse storage facility", you have less restrictions on requirements and then it's grandfathered in, when you change the zoning..

Isn't that silly????

Latest posts

Back