Request for pics of maiden mares...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novachick

Reaction score
Could you please post any pics you have of your maiden mares around 250-300 days? I have a mare that I bought possibly in foal, she would be around 260-270 days right now. I'm going back and forth wondering if she pregnant. On day I say yes, the next I say no way! It would help to see some pics of your maidens at about the same point. I will also post some pic of her in the next couple days. Thanks!

This mare is at 260 days approx. but she is showing a lot more than maidens usually do and I think it is because she is so small she is a 28.5" mare (Sorry about the terrible pictures
default_smile.png
)

randommarewinterpics008.jpg

This is her when she was open

IMAG039.JPG

This mare is at 224 days

randommarewinterpics003.jpg

this is her open and you can see that she hasnt gained a whole lot

2008_0416jenaprom0022-1.jpg

But the first maiden mare we had was one I raised and the only way we knew she was bred was just because I knew the horse and could tell by how she acted and just knew
default_smile.png
. I enjoyed telling my mom "I told you so" because she swore she was open. It can be super hard to tell or completely obvious it just depends on your horse so good luck and hopefully she is bred. I am having the same sort of issue deciding if my other maiden is bred but she is just fat so it is hard to tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some pics of the mare I'm questioning.

Here she is when we got her in August (at this point she would be around 120 days)

red-and-rascal.jpg

Then here she is in the fall (probably around 200 days)

DSC01202.jpg

And here she is today...all wet from playing in the snow! (she would be about 260-270 days today)

DSC01495.jpg

DSC01496.jpg

DSC01497.jpg

DSC01499.jpg

DSC01501.jpg

DSC01502.jpg

DSC01503.jpg

DSC01505.jpg

My guess today would be no, not in foal, especially after seeing her all wet so her winter coat isn't making her look bigger. Whadda ya think?

she doesnt really look bred but as I said sometimes you can't tell just depends on how they carry it, if you want to know for sure I would just have her palpated.

Judging from the pics I would say no, my little Flirt who is a maiden is HUGE at 270ish. Mostly broad across her back...that is where her pregnancy REALLY shows. The underbelly on her is still pretty up and tight, but her "waist" at the flank is very full, and so so broad across her back.

Judging from the pics I would say no, my little Flirt who is a maiden is HUGE at 270ish. Mostly broad across her back...that is where her pregnancy REALLY shows. The underbelly on her is still pretty up and tight, but her "waist" at the flank is very full, and so so broad across her back.
I think your right, I probably could have skipped my post and waited until they were out today in the wet snow...now that her winter woolies are all wet and patted down, I'm amazed at how that "belly" went away. Thanks for the opinions!

Latest posts

Back