Remembering to think positive...tips?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlenicker

Reaction score
So I realize I get discouraged very quickly when things go poorly while working with equines...so discouraged that I stress all day and dwell about how terrible things went! At times I could just throw in the towel and say why do I even bother? Lose sleep and get a headache. Half the time the problems and issues arent even all that big of a deal. It gets tiring being in a negative mind frame all the time and its not progressive at all with my horses.

Does positive thinking come natural to some or is does it actually take work to get into that frame of mind?

I'd love to have some tips on positive thinking when working with horses and remaining positive after the session reguardless how the session turned out. How can I remind myself to stay positive?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all of us have felt discouraged at times when trying to achieve a goal with our horses. I am not an expert, but I have worked with youth and their horses somewhat, and the first thing I tell them is that everyone has started at the beginning, no matter where they are now in their experience. So do not be too hard on yourself when it gets difficult, all of us are still learning our way around these little guys no matter how long we've had them . Set small goals, and when you get even a little success at what you are aiming for per session, quit on that high note, always end on a positive result, good for you and the horse. Picture in your head the goal you are striving for as you work, riders for example, or drivers, may use this technique of picturing their ride as they want it to be before entering the ring, and it does help focus the mind.

I don't know if positive thinking is natural or not, but someone told me once to remember to breathe while I was working with the horses, I did not realize I was holding my breath and making myself tense up, and passing it on to the horse.

Good luck, don't know if this helps, but hope so

Yes. If one ends on a positive note during a training session, then progress has been made. Even if you don't feel successful, the horse has made progress.

But, like you, I've become overwhelmed by horses for which I have failed to achieve my goals. My plan is to rest for a while with my one horse and enjoy him. When I feel confident about going forward again, I will find another horse. Nothing wrong with taking two steps backward before taking one step forward.

Rule #1 if you are having an off day, don't work with your horse at that time. He'll sense it.

I agree with Marty... They know what you're thinking/feeling before you do.

Our mare came to us with little to no handling and is flat-out a spook. She requires lotsa' patience, but on the flip side when I make any little bit of progress with her, it's very rewarding. Oftentimes when she's not in the mood and when I'm not in the mood, I've found we make more progress (trust wise) if I just get a stool and sit with her and have a cup of coffee.

My biggest two tips?

1) Do not take it personally when your horse is having an off day. He may be tired or sore or just having a blah day. We all do and our horses are no different.

2) Have a sense of humor. Stand on the outside and laugh when your horse does something "stupid". Example: my team thinks that they are mind readers. One thinks I asked for one thing the other one heard something else and they are both wrong! So I stop them and see the humor in what they did!

In dog training I always tell my students to back up in training until you get to a "success". Depending on the level of frustration for owner and dog depends on how far we back up. We might go all the way to our most basic.exercise. find something you can praise then quit for the day if you are greatly stressed. Minor stresses you can just continue training at baby step levels.. Always end on a success if you can. Start with super basics again and work back up to the level you were stressed at very slowly and ensure successes along the way. Confidence building for all. All of us have a level of communication ability with our critters and emotions from you will communicate at all levels..happy..sad..stressed etc. Building training based on "successes" builds confidence and reduces stress. Imagine the frustrated dog owner trying to get a utility title on her dog and the trainer telling her to work at the novice level. Novice is a breeze and both are smiling and rewarding and having a great time. Dog titled in utility the following week. What they needed was to find the fun and the motivator and once relaxed the owner communicated happy vibes and dog responded. Same with horses. So for me..I get into a positive frame of mind by backing up in training until I find something I can be happy about. I go for a walk with my horse or dog or groom and forget about training. I forget about goals and remember why I love horses and dogs. I also play around with communication and have found out that I am able to "hear" what's they are telling me. The more I practice the better I get. Its very rewarding. Try it. Another thing I do is not even start anything if I am already having a bad day. I feed and groom and clean stables and do no training. Faster than I can imagine these everyday chores put me in a good mood and in minutes I have mini horses following me around asking me "what are we gonna do today"

I totally understood what you were saying in your post...I was working with two young horses (not minis), and I'd be so bummed if things didn't go well...and kick myself for not doing better...but somehow along the journey those thoughts stopped (aside from the occasional moments)...I think all the previous suggestions helped too...sometimes the frustration came from not having a clear goal...and somedays I had to make my goalaeaA to groom my horses and just enjoy them...we've made alot more progress since I've mentally changed how I approach my horses...try to find the good in every interaction and put the negative aside....good luck...

Always set an easy goal for yourself, so when you do better than you thought you would.......it makes the victory that much better.
default_biggrin.png

Well, all of the above as pertains to your horses... but....

Are you generally a positive person or a more negative person? Are you around people than can be negative or in a stressful situation at work?

I had the priviledge of working with many self motivated business folk while growing up - most did very well at their personal business (s) but bothmy hubby and I found that those various ventures were not for us at various times (for a while I did AWESOME as a beauty consultant with Mary Kay products and had a blast, had many freinds and made money... then a move to a different area, different exposure and changes in our family lives and my small business bombed and I couldn't get it going again and got to the point I didn't want to). BUT when I was doing well, I was SURROUNDED by upbeat, positive people. The times that one or another wasn't - they depended on the others who were and the "negativity" or "downness" eased and eventually disappeared. Just as with a marriage - staying positive takes some work, practice and everyday application...

At one point - with each of those self-taught, personal business (s); at different times either myself, my hubby and I together, my parents, other family members on my side and my daughters have been involved in Avon, Mary Kay, Amway, Nikken, Shaklee and a couple of others I can't remember. Again, sometimes the business (s) have done well - making enough money to live on while being happily self employed, others have made enough to support/help the family and still others hasn't worked at all and have ended - at least a couple of times with very bad feelings - several of these business (s) have lists of books and tapes that help with getting positive and maintaining that in every day living. The list, at one time, was quite extensive. I know that some of the books are very much still in print and the one I will always remember is - "The Power of Positive Living". I will have to poke thru my library - I don't remember any other titles right now that would be applicable, though I know there are a lot out there. It's been more than 10 years since I've thought about this type of stuff - I know there also have to be new titles that would very much work or be applicable.

Sometimes just a simple change in attitude, or living, makes things better while handling horses. I find that when I get frustrated (AND I DO), I stop, take a deep breath and think about anything that recently made me happy *(took me a long time to develop this habit and it isn't always easy). I then smile. Even if I have to force myself. Your whole body changes when you smile - sometimes I think pheromones change too. An animal - especially dogs and horses - pick up on it just as fast as they do nervousness or fear. Even if afraid or worried - if you take a deep, cleansing breath and then smile - your horse will change too!

Just a handful of thoughts and ideas....

I also used to post post it notes and magnets around my house. They were simple - "Smile"... "It's a GREAT day" "Breathe" "Someone loves me" "Have you hugged your "???" today?" "smile - your on candid camera" (I wave at security system cameras sometimes, LOL. But not in banks - that has a tendency to freak security out) - referring to my parents, my children, my hubby, my dog, my cat, my horses, God - etc... And others. .. U can work up your own. They make a very small difference but it's very noticable in everything I do! Sometimes, to be humorous, I think of that old kid line from grade school ... So & So, & Such & such K-I-S-S-I-N-G... brings a smile ...

If colors make you happy (and they can/do), use them, too. It doesn't have to be expensive (like all new clothes or tack equipment etc) but something simple... Fabric changes, wearing something that makes you feel good when you are out in the barn (I LOVE flannel - sometimes in the summer when it's "grey" out - i have a small piece I can put in a shorts pocket and I will hold it when I need an uplift)... Little things go a long way to help make you positive and make you happy.

It all affects what you do and how you interact with your horse while feeding, grooming and training.

LAST but not LEAST - maybe this is the wrong horse for you...

Part of the reason I'm not a trainer for the public is I've found that my personality clashes with some of the horses out there (and some owners, too). I simply can't work with them - I get frustrated and angry and no amount of the above "help" works. If the horse is one that I've owned - either purchased or bred - I can sell it rather than have the stress of trying to figure out what to do next. I have gotten good at matching most new owners with my horses/ponies - I've also peeved more than a few off that wanted what I may have had, but I felt were just not a good match...

Notice that I use the word "smile" - alot!! One piece of advice I was given when I was a teenager when working for a company in which I answered phones. "Always smile as you pick up the phone. Say the first sentence while stretching your face into a smile (EVEN IF YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE IT)... It changes the tone of your voice and affects your posture which then also affects how you speak and respond to the person on the other end....". I think this may have been the most important piece of advice I ever was given and it works!!

O - and I never said it was easy. It's natural for some folk and not for others. But you can make little changes and it will affect how you interact with each horse.

Off my soapbox now ... Hope this isn't too long...

I have hamburger training sessions, easy stuff to start, new topic/hard stuff in the middle, easy in the end. For example, my guy backs up beautifully, however, he was having issues backing around cones.

To start, we practiced backing up. Practiced that for about 8 to 15 minutes. Then, i introduced the cones. Same thing happened, he would back to them, stop near them, and refuse to go further. Instead of frsutrating myself and him, i stopped, and thought WHY. He wasn't refusing to back up, wasn't a matter of "I DONT WANNA." It wasn't a matter of I don't understand, it was was a matter of "are you SURE they won't get me?". I thought he might be afraid to step on them. So, we practiced stepping on cones for 15 mintues. First forward, then backing over them, then poking his belly w them, etc. About 10 mintues later, he no longer was afraid of stepping on them, so he was more comfortable backing up around them. He knew that even if he couldn't see them, that it wasn't going to hurt him IF he stepped on them. Voila. 15 minutes of stepping on cones sovled my problem! The end of the session though, we jsut went back to backing up and a few showmanship moves he's known for a few years now. Cleared his mind, I 're-set my pony."

To think positive, you need to think WHY. Instead of "you stupid horse!" I thought, "WHY are you all of a sudden being a stupid horse!" Then, we worked thorugh it, from itty bitty steps (just back up near the cones,) to the whole thing, (backing up in a figure 8 around them.) Once again, go to the root of the problem. If there's an " I DONT want to" reflex from you rhorse, stop training what you are, start demanding more respect. If there's an "its going to get me" response, stop what you are doing, start de-spooking.

If there's jus tno focus, too flightly, too hyper, there's a mare in heat outside thats "more important", one thing i do that works on my horse very well is a "time out on the patience pole." I tie him there, and leave him there, completely ignored - even disciplining is attention, which he CRAVES, so if he's pawing etc, too bad. I find a stall mat works well to prevent digging.. I make sure he can't break anything (he knows how to tie, he won't hurt himself. Obviously this will be different if the horse is posing a threat to himself etc. My pet peeve is when they leanr to break stuff. I had an arab who was a ninja at breaking quick release halters when he didn't feel like doing something. No fear, but he would methodically BREAK the little piece of leather. Kinda cool to watch, not so much when you go through 4 straps a month!) He stays tied until he is calm. No pawing, no whinnying, no moving, etc. When you STAND I untie you. It seems to "clear his mind," and i get a blank slate instead of a jittery horse, plus it gives me time to clear my mind! Win win in my opinion.

Everybody has those days when NOTHING goes right. Some days, just coming when called and standing for grooming is "good enough" if it's just been a bad day for me. I don't ever try to train if i've even had an off day, even if he is on fire. Maybe practice something he understands very well, but never ever introducing something new.

My "rule of thumb" is three to five sessions of practicing a newly learned skill where he is performing perfectly before we go onto somehting new. I never drill my horse, but we combine a lot of his cumulative education to have good sessions.

As for my head, once again, never go to the barn angry to train or on a time budget. When you only got half an hour, you bet that will be the day it will ruly take an hour for him to learn it. Plus, my favorite quote is "Every expert was once a rank beginner." However, instead of visualizing my barely halter broke 6 yr old as a showmanship champ, i envisioned him as just plain "not a jerk." Now that he's a fantastic horse a full year later with 8 mos of semi intensive showmanship training, i picture him doing a 3rd of 4th in showmanship at a breed show.

Settign goals too easy will never get you anywhere, however, setting goals too high will get you frustrated. Pick a reasonable goal (no matter how stupid it may sound!). If your goal is "My horse won't run me over," at first that's ok! However, if your goal is "I want my un broke horse to be a showmanship champ this summer," that's jsut a bit too much, no matter the potential of the horse.

Hope this helps! Trust me, I've been there, and anyone who says they've never been, is a darned liar!
default_smile.png

Back