ReguMate -to bring on estrus

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandee

Reaction score
My vet prescribed ReguMate for 10 days for my mare to help bring her into estrus as I was wanting to breed in May. Has anyone used it and what were your results? My mare usually has silent heat. She's been on it for 10 days and now we're on the 6th day after. Neither she nor the stallion seem interested.

Regumate ALONE isn't very useful. Regumate combined with Estramate/Lutalyse works much better. Ask your vet if it might help to give her a shot of lute when she comes off the 10 days of Regumate next time.

What Nathan said- had an outside mare who had been dormant for a long time last year and had to do this to get her to cycle.. worked like a charm and she is due in the next couple of weeks!
default_yes.gif

If you give the Luytalyse shot be ready for her to get really sweaty and kind of colicy acting. The first time I gave this shot I did not know what the effects were going to be and I pretty much freaked out. The affects will last about 1-2 hours USUALLY ! ! !

We've done outside breedings here but this is MY first mare (she's 6 yr old). Two of the mares brought here had the regumate cycling and one didn't take so she had to come back. The other had the Regumate AND the shot and she was SOOO ready that my gelding was hanging out and dripping. Another mare, 5 yr old madien, came when the owner "thought" she was cycling and BANG she was!

So when it comes to my own mare I'm totally in the dark. As I said she has silent heats. She is not one to get moody. She's a down to business - do her job sort of gal. Out of 3 vets, when asked about breeding, 0 did anything but do a superfical look. I asked if she should have blood tests - NO. I asked if she looked big enough to carry and give birth (she's 34") and none wanted to examine her. The last one only said, "Here, give her Regumate for 10 days and wait 5 more days."

Well, I'm still waiting --it's day 6. Trouble is I'm not sure what I'm waiting for as neither are giving me any signs. And yes he did show an interest last summer (around July or Aug--yuck!) and she was so/so about his sniffing around. No I didn't let them breed that late in the summer. I'm just frustrated, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regumate alone is supposed to work, but I agree that adding a prostaglandin increases the odds. I prefer Estrumate as mares show few if any adverse signs.

But these drugs only alter already occurring cycles, they will not 'make' a horse cycle. Also understand that if the mare has 'silent' heats then these drugs will help to time a cycle, but not make them any more 'in heat'.

Dr Taylor

The mare we used it on last year had no side effects what so ever- except that one day she decided my stallion was pretty handsome after all.......

How are you teasing her to find the silent heats?
yes, been walking her in front of stallion's stall/fence line And walking stallion along in front of where she is at. They've gone nose to nose and they sort of "shrug - so what".

Latest posts

Back