Registering mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dein

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a mini mare she was reg but the people that have her now did not get her papers is their a way I can get her papers

You are she would have to go back to the people where they got her from and ask

I would approach this very carefully. If she could be registered why did they not go ahead with it? It could be innocent enough, lots of people don't bother to transfer a horse that they just want as a pet etc., but I would want to see papers before I purchased if I expected to do anything with her more than just have a pet. Maybe you could offer to pay for it if they would handle the paperwork ? Or at least I would want to see transfer papers signed into my name before paying. Also you might want to check her out with the registry in case she really isn't eligible for registration (were both parents registered at the time of her birth etc.) . Many people have been very disappointed when they by a 'registerable' horse and then find out for one reason or another it is not going to happen. Good luck, its so exciting to be horse shopping.

Thanks for the replys she is a really preaty mare she has a 2 week old colt on her side they say they took her and 6 other mares from a friend who could not take care of ne more they say they are reg but their friends would not give them their papers and I was just wondering if their might of been a way I could get reg papers on her with maby a DNA test I mean I don't think it is a bad deal they want $400 for the pair

I didn't mean to be negative or even discourage you, I just wanted you to know there are often problems with registering horses sold as 'registerable'. In the case of horses who were registered but sold without papers or transfers I think it unlikely you would be able to change their status back to registered unless the last owner on record with the registry changes their mind and agrees to sign a transfer. Your best bet would be to call the registry office (they really are very friendly and helpful there - easy to talk to)and ask their advice or just decide you are buying unregistered horses.

BTW, once they are yours we would love it if you shared pictures of them
default_yes.gif

Unless the original owners give you the papers with signed transfers, there really isn't any way to get them registered. Plus, not knowing the whole story, did they "take" them or were they "given" them?

Lots to be wary about here....

Buyer beware.If you are looking for something registered I would certainly get more info from the sellers and the previous owners.If the horses were given to the present owners it may be a case of previous owners not wanting a free gift to become profitable for the present owners.there are lots of unanswered questions.I know how difficult it is to resist a cute Mini foal, but I would suggest keeping in mind what your long term goals are.If you just want a couple of pets this might be the answer.Also think about the cost of gelding the colt in the future.In some areas it is cheap ,in other parts of the country quite costly.What ever you decide keep us posted.

My mare came with nothing, but i found out her name and was able to get her passport, which is like your papers? But it was all stamped DUPLICATE NOT ORIGINAL so basically, it is a legal document to the law if i get asked, but it is not an original paper from her birth. I only got this cause, as i say, i had her name and the society had her details.

Thanks y'all for all the info and advice I really am looking for something reg as I would like to get in to showing these little horses I have my two guys as pets/play ponys for my lil girl neather of them are reg but I would not trade them for the world so I think I am going to pass on this pair but on a side not are any of y'all from south ms or any ware in la that sell reg mini maby we can get together and I might find something I like

I hate to say, but I would pass on these. Too great of a risk for a paperwork nightmare that may leave you with unregistered horses. If you are wanting a registered horse, I would look for something that already has papers, that are up to date and ready to transfer into your name. When you look at the horse, also look at the papers to make sure all are in order. Sometimes people tell you one thing but what you get is another! Good luck in your search. I am sure you will find the right Mini to bring home and love.

My mare came with nothing, but i found out her name and was able to get her passport, which is like your papers? But it was all stamped DUPLICATE NOT ORIGINAL so basically, it is a legal document to the law if i get asked, but it is not an original paper from her birth. I only got this cause, as i say, i had her name and the society had her details.
Passports and registration papers are not the same thing. A passport is issued by your government showing health information, while papers are issued by the Registry showing ancestry, DOB, and breeder/owners.

Latest posts

Back