Registering foals: Have I lost my mind???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
This is bizzare but I don't ever remember having to DNA a foal to get him registered. A/R Say its not so. I honestly do not remember ever having to pull mane hairs from my foals, only the mares. What am I missing here? Is this what happens from old age? They say the mind is the first thing to go.
default_wacko.png

Also another question about parentage qualified:

Do I need to pull a DNA on a mare who is parentage qualified too?

default_new_shocked.gif

Give it to me slowly, but please be gentle.
default_biggrin.png

As far as I know you do not have to dna a foal to register it unless the stallion report did not get filed on time. If the stallion report was late then they demand a foal be proved to be the foal of said parents before they will register it.

Also, if a mare is DNA Parent Qualified, she has already been tested and they would have that on file, not need to DNA her ever again. Same goes for any AMHA PQ'd horse.

Once you get your foal Parent Qualified (which is now the default for DNA'ing) you will not have to do him again ever again either. ONce in a lifetime for each horse.

When I sent in my last foals registration in 4 years ago, I just went ahead and did the DNA test too. That was my option. I just think it is easier to do it all at once.

I have been wondering that myself. I have always done the DNA when I send in the registration papers, but this year with the price of hay killing me...I could use the 120.00 to do my 3 amha foals on hay. I have bought horses b4 that where amha and had not been DNA'd, it was my thinking that you just HAD to do it b4 breeding them or I should say b4 you can register their foals.

But my memory is like yours Marty, guess it is best just to call AMHA and find out for sure.

DNA testing is not currently required to register foals in AMHA (although I rather wish it was).

If you have a horse that is Parent Qualified in AMHA, then it has already been DNA'd.

A reminder - any horse born after 1995, used for breeding, must be DNA tested in order to register it's offspring in AMHA.

I agree with weerunner. I have already AMHA registered my foals this year and didn't have to DNA. The only reasons that the AMHA would require it would be:

The mare was not on the stallion report or the mare was on two different stallion reports and there was not the required amount of time (at least 42 days...I believe) between them.

There are really no other reasons why they should require it..

Also if you are registering a "foal" who is 2 yrs or older you will have to have him/her DNA'd.

And I may be wrong, but a late stallion report does not make DNA'd a requirement. ONLY if said foal was born BEFORE the stallion report was sent in. I think that as long as the report reached the office before the foal was born then you are okay there.

Thank you so much guys. I do have all my ducks in a row then. Gosh I was worried. I thought for sure I was ready for the nursing home....
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back